Covid 44: The Sickening

Mlle. Zabzie

2 hours ago, butterbumps! said:

I'm struggling to see the value in shutting down schools in certain contexts, and want to know if I'm overlooking something.

My sense is that in Europe, schools have generally stayed open in recent months.  With a few exceptions.  And obviously, sometimes there are no teachers available.  Having a higher vaccinated population may be why this is less emotive here?

13 hours ago, LongRider said:

Why admitting Covid is Airborne is so hard. (substack.com)

Interesting.  Given this was written in mid 2021 shows how slow things changed.

8 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The kiddies being asymptomatic isn't the issue, they can still bring it home and spread to it to the more vulnerable population.

The vulnerable population being who, though?    Would it be older (presumably vaccinated) relatives, and immune-compromised members of the students'/ teachers' families?  If there's an issue of vulnerable family members, does it make more sense for those who feel they are high risk to stay home rather than shut everything down entirely?  

2 minutes ago, Padraig said:

My sense is that in Europe, schools have generally stayed open in recent months.  With a few exceptions.  And obviously, sometimes there are no teachers available.  Having a higher vaccinated population may be why this is less emotive here?

That's kind of what I'm wondering.  This particular school's families, the specific neighborhood, and NYC generally is ahead of most of the US in terms of vaccines.  I'm wondering if circumstances like this one are being help back by guidelines set by national rates or something.  It just feels like much more of an administrative roadblock than a health one for this specific context, and I'm having a really hard time with this.

6 hours ago, butterbumps! said:

I'm struggling to see the value in shutting down schools in certain contexts, and want to know if I'm overlooking something.

You completely missed this from a day or two ago?

A student tells you the cost of keeping schools open -- there is NO LEARNING taking place, just for starters, because everything is dominated by covid, and there are so few teachers because out sick.  And so are so many students. It's an extremely distressing situation for the students.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2022/01/schools-open-closed-omicron-covid-staffing-shortages.html

Plus everywhere else shortages due to staff-labor shortages due to covid -- so many positive and / or sick, so not at work, whether in the schools, the hospitals, the supermarkets, the trucks, etc.  Yet, these 25-30%ers keep screaming there is no such thing as covid, even as the hospitals are breaking from the sheer numbers of the infected.

Peoples gonna be fighting over tp again! :crying:  Ya, places are reporting lack of paper goods, as well as steak and beer.

I'll be frank, as a teacher I'm getting very annoyed with Omicron at the moment. After New Years we have ramped up to daily testing and the daily tests constantly come back with positive results. On average there are now about three infected students per class or so. The remaining students still can't be bothered to wear their masks properly though. As always.

And my colleagues... I have already been asked what my deal is with keeping my mask on even in the staff room, making this an issue about me looking distrustful and distancing myself from them. Well today the newest colleague, a stupidly extroverted guy everyone instantly flocked to with his weekly stories of him visiting his illustrious friends all over the country and beyond every single damn weekend... apparently arrived at school somewhat glumly after testing slightly positive at home, then tested himself twice more in the staff room until he got one that was negative.

I didn't waited for what he was about to do, I grabbed my stuff and left and never returned to the staff room and I wonder how I will manage to continue to so for the next weeks... I just... I can't understand people...

46 minutes ago, Toth said:

I just... I can't understand people...

Our friends school kids all know what's going on, even the primary school kids do.  They were being lined up before school to be tested, and, "... and asshole in park next to us started screaming at us kids and calling us names because we were getting tested.  He said there was no such thing.  I made up a bunch of stuff to yell back at him, but I didn't because I thought it would make the teachers and you mad."

In the meantime -- how can they? HOW CAN THEY?  Drink your piss to what? prevent covid, that doesn't exist? cure yourself of covid that doesn't exist, 

Anti-COVID-19 “Vaccine Police” leader Christopher Key has a new quarter-baked conspiracy theory for his anti-vax followers to use to cure themselves of COVID-19: Drink their own urine. “The antidote that we have seen now, and we have tons and tons of research, is urine therapy. OK, and I know to a lot of you this sounds crazy, but guys, God’s given us everything we need,” Key said in a video posted over the weekend on his Telegram account after being released from jail over a trespassing charge. “This has been around for centuries,” he added. “When I tell you this, please take it with a grain of salt,” the anti-vaccine advocate warned while saying people might now think he is “cray cray.” “Now drink urine!” he continued. “This vaccine is the worst bioweapon I have ever seen,” he concluded. “I drink my own urine!”

Could anybody, even the crazy anti-vaxers BELIEVE this?????????????????????????

I just got a letter in the mail from the U.S. Medicare urging all Medicare recipients to get a Covid booster and assuring us it's free. I got my booster back in October, but I guess it's a good thing they're urging everyone to get one. 

The pushback around a 4th dose continues (as Chile starts giving one).

Ireland and other EU countries have been warned they cannot "booster" their way through the pandemic with another vaccine every three to four months as we risk overloading the immune system.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/covid-19-fourth-booster-vaccine-in-doubt-amid-fears-of-overloading-immune-system-41230573.html

And we're probably going to see more articles like this as Omicron roles on.

The leader of Spain's government on Monday became the first leader of a major European country to call on the European Union to debate the possibility of treating COVID-19 as an endemic illness akin to the flu.

It is sort of happening already though, as restrictions are not as cutting this time.  But a more toxic variant could change that, so i'm not sure it really has a point.

https://fortune.com/2022/01/11/flu-omicron-spain-eu-covid-endemic/

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

In the meantime -- how can they? HOW CAN THEY?  Drink your piss to what? prevent covid, that doesn't exist? cure yourself of covid that doesn't exist, 

To be fair, drinking your own piss is probably safer than ingesting medicine meant only for livestock.  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

To be fair, drinking your own piss is probably safer than ingesting medicine meant only for livestock.  

Well, one of those items isn't marked 'For veterinary use only' so there is that.   :ack:

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

No one MAKES me drink my own piss.

One does suspect They don't believe this shyte.  They think Their people will know this is just takin' the piss to own the libs as the Libs go, WTF???????? Except it seems Their people will do anything They say, so who owns what?

Also one begins to wonder just where are these unstocked shelves are where the TJ's, Walmarts, etc. don't have the Stuff.  Are these in areas where nobody vaccinates?  Coz, so far!!!!, here, everything's just fine.  Partner ventured out in the cold to do a grocery run with our New! Best! Special! Masks, and despite the weather, we're fine with milk, meats, beans, rice, potatoes, tomato paste, and all fresh fruit and vegetables.

One of my triple jabbed friends has had 3 different positive pcr tests in last 2 years, and also thinks she had it right at the start (I suppose she would recognise the symptoms) before testing was readily available.

She said it wasn't any more or less serious each time she had it (even though in all likelihood she has had numerous different versions). 

Austria hit the highest infection number since the start of the pandemic today and many PCR tests from yesterday are not included because some of the test systems collapsed yesterday.

Pushback against the vaccine mandate which is supposed to start at the start of next month is getting stronger. 

The orgs that are supposed to make it possible have already addmited that it will be impossible from a technical point to enforce it before March/April. Dead in the water I guess.

An open letter by 600 police members has surfaced and they want to stop enforcement of measures. The police has done as little as possible being the biggest far right org in Austria before anyway. They arrested some animal right protestors for handling out anti factory farming leaflets recently so the have ressources to go after groups they don't like as usual. Posting about stuff that is irrelevant bullshit in a pandemic like weed related arrests as usual on their social media sites. They are not even trying to pretend that they don't support far right values completely anymore. ACAB even if one of my closest friends is one. :(

Austria is close to a failed country when it comes to enforcement of measures and handling of pandemic I feel.

12 hours ago, Toth said:

I'll be frank, as a teacher I'm getting very annoyed with Omicron at the moment. After New Years we have ramped up to daily testing and the daily tests constantly come back with positive results. On average there are now about three infected students per class or so. The remaining students still can't be bothered to wear their masks properly though. As always.

And my colleagues... I have already been asked what my deal is with keeping my mask on even in the staff room, making this an issue about me looking distrustful and distancing myself from them. Well today the newest colleague, a stupidly extroverted guy everyone instantly flocked to with his weekly stories of him visiting his illustrious friends all over the country and beyond every single damn weekend... apparently arrived at school somewhat glumly after testing slightly positive at home, then tested himself twice more in the staff room until he got one that was negative.

I didn't waited for what he was about to do, I grabbed my stuff and left and never returned to the staff room and I wonder how I will manage to continue to so for the next weeks... I just... I can't understand people...

Go on sick leave if you can pal.

Psychological distress is a completely valid reason.

Society has failed people like us completely.

We don't owe it anything at this point.

Look out for yourself and fuck the rest.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Yes! Get the animals to take the horse dewormer, then drink the animal piss!

You could argue (not very well, but since when has that stopped them) that your using the animal's kidneys as a purifying stage.

Archived