Covid 44: The Sickening

Mlle. Zabzie

11 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Wow. Ya’ll were not joking about that Moderna booster.

It packs quite the punch. 

It's weird - the second shot was the only one that really got to me but my brother said the booster was way worse.

38 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's weird - the second shot was the only one that really got to me but my brother said the booster was way worse.

I was Pfizer through and through.

The first shot, some of my employees said I was, "more irritable than normal", but I didn't feel any different.

The second shot, my arm hurt some, but I don't remember it being an issue of anything significant (though I sure as hell took a day off, just in case, since everyone else was saying it was a something...)

The booster?  My whole upper arm and shoulder just ached for a couple of days.  I mean, it hurt to lift it.  Like I had been lifting a lot of weight and was "feeling the burn".  But I don't recall feeling anything else. 

Maybe I was just luckier than some?  If there is another booster to take, maybe that's when I'll get my ass kicked?

Alas, there are significant numbers in the military who believe all the death cultist shoggoths.  Not all of them, but significant numbers -- and they are infuriated at the vaccination mandate.

1 hour ago, HoodedCrow said:

if you “ take” the military, you will have a disloyal fighting force and you will need to pay them. I suppose what they really mean is taking the bases and equipment?

Presumably it's expected they will do the Robert E. Lee treason and join the Confederate States. Of course Cruz himself is dumber than a pig iron mule dick, but nevertheless, they do seem to have forgotten that no trade agreements, loans etc. can be negotiated with the rest of the world unless it IS recognized as a nation, which nobody ever did for the CSA, largely thanks to Charles Francis Adams, grandson of John Adams and son of John Quincy Adams.  The amount of experience and languages of Europe, the relationships they forged, these three accrued among them, is not seen even a little bit by anybody in the US government today though, so?

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Alas, there are significant numbers in the military who believe all the death cultist shoggoths.  Not all of them, but significant numbers -- and they are infuriated at the vaccination mandate.

Presumably it's expected they will do the Robert E. Lee treason and join the Confederate States. Of course Cruz himself is dumber than a pig iron mule dick, but nevertheless, they do seem to have forgotten that no trade agreements, loans etc. can be negotiated with the rest of the world unless it IS recognized as a nation, which nobody ever did for the CSA, largely thanks to Charles Francis Adams, grandson of John Adams and son of John Quincy Adams.  The amount of experience and languages of Europe, the relationships they forged, these three accrued among them, is not seen even a little bit by anybody in the US government today though, so?

Does Texas not realize that, were they to successfully leave the United States, they'd actually have to keep Ted Cruz...?

Just now, Jaxom 1974 said:

Does Texas not realize that, were they to successfully leave the United States, they'd actually have to keep Ted Cruz...?

Probably not, dreaming as they doubtless are, of being embraced to the heart by "BJ" Johnson and the Tories, so all will be well, very well.

6 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I still think Lincoln screwed the pooch by not immediately deporting the rebs when he had the chance. He couldve sent them out on arks or something humane like that.

Only stipulation being, CANT COME BACK.

How do we know he wasn't going to actually do that...?  It isn't like he had the chance to put his plans into effect... 

22 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The booster?  My whole upper arm and shoulder just ached for a couple of days.  I mean, it hurt to lift it.  Like I had been lifting a lot of weight and was "feeling the burn".  But I don't recall feeling anything else. 

Maybe I was just luckier than some?  If there is another booster to take, maybe that's when I'll get my ass kicked?

After the second shot I just felt like shit for a day or two.  No real symptoms other than being tired and feeling like, well, I had the flu.  I didn't even curb my smoking.  As for arm pain, I've had a little of that after all three shots but mostly minimal - not even as bad as the soreness the day after a workout.  So, I guess we've both been lucky?

23 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The amount of experience and languages of Europe, the relationships they forged, these three accrued among them, is not seen even a little bit by anybody in the US government today though, so?

This is way off topic but this isn't really true.  Granted, it's very difficult to have comparable experience to the Adams', especially Quincy who started his diplomatic career when he was 14, but plenty of American diplomats have somewhat similar experience - including the current Secretary of State.  During Blinken's confirmation one of the criticisms was that he was "too European."  He was partly educated in France and is fluent in French.

22 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I still think Lincoln screwed the pooch by not immediately deporting the rebs when he had the chance. He couldve sent them out on arks or something humane like that.

He should've sent them adrift:

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Same here.  A lot of musicians in the South, in particular.

Racist too.  Quite a few don't even try to hide their hatred of Native Americans and Latinos and immigrants -- these are all in the midwest and in the south.

At least I don't have that vile combination in people I associate with. Given our vax rates, esp in the over 50s, I would say almost all racists are vaxed. In my anecdotal group of unvaxed acquaintances I would say it's a 75/25 split of lefty, anti-capitalist, anti-racist, anti-corporatist ex-hippies (those that were old enough to be hippies) / centre-right anti-govt-telling-me-what-to-do-even-though-they-are-not-telling-me-what-to-do-just-strongly-recommending-I-do-it, but not racist or prejudiced against any minority.

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Anyway, I'm sat in Germany watching our case numbers trying to decide whether they're gonna shoot up or not. We had a random, unexplained spike just before Omnicron hit, that was coming down as everyone else went up, now it's back to rising but seems confused about whether it really should or not. Kinda weird, dunno if there's an explanation for it.

That is strange.  It has the highest fatality rate amongst Western European countries.

According to ourworldindata, Germany still is suffering from Delta.  Omicron hasn't hit it yet.  Which is consistent with cases falling (unlike Omicron countries).  But might also explain why fatalities are relatively high, although also declining (given Delta is probably more dangerous than Omicron)?

Okay, here is the difference between the US antivaxxers and the rest of the world's grouping.

Only the US has policy written to cater to the antivaxxers. We have states who give people unemployment benefits if they got fired for being antivax. We have states attempting to ban mask mandates or vaccine mandates in both public and private areas of life. 

Other countries have their crazies. In the US the crazies are in charge in big swaths of the country. 

3 hours ago, DMC said:

My second was by far the least bothersome, but the booster sucked.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It was primarily the arm for me with the booster, other than migraine which is a me thing generally, but it was a lot more than hurt to lift. At the worst the pain was sufficiently bad I basically didn't move it above the elbow for most of a day. Just changing my orientation (ie going from lying to sitting) caused it to throb badly so I'm pretty sure there was some build up of fluid that was moving and the main cause of the pain.

I'll still go get another as soon as the medical advice says I should, I'll just complain about the pain afterwards lol.

1 minute ago, Kalsandra said:

Only the US has policy written to cater to the antivaxxers. We have states who give people unemployment benefits if they got fired for being antivax. We have states attempting to ban mask mandates or vaccine mandates in both public and private areas of life. 

Yeah this is a good point and a further part of what I was trying to get at as well. They're viewed as a problem, or at least a complication, even by most of our right wing parties if they're in power rather than having significant parts of the country run by them.

12 minutes ago, Kalsandra said:

Other countries have their crazies. In the US the crazies are in charge in big swaths of the country. 

I think we might be in danger of overstating this difference.  Of course it's valid that the polarization and radicalization of the right is (somewhat) unique to the US.  And further, yes, that radical right has politicized antivaxxing to the point of instituting policy in red states.  But there are still many unvaccinated people in the US that aren't particularly political at all - or, alternatively, their political preferences clearly aren't the cause of their irresponsible behavior.  Especially, of course, among younger people.  My unvaccinated cousins, for instance, don't even vote.

10 minutes ago, karaddin said:

@DMC perhaps better to focus on "policy being written by them" rather than "for them" in many of these cases? 

Yeah I think that's a pretty good distinction that kind of jives with what I'm getting at. 

That being said, I do expect anti-vax - and especially anti-other measures - to be a large part of the messaging in many key gubernatorial races come November.  And I fear that messaging might be quite effective.  But that's largely because the GOP will be challenging incumbents in these key states - Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin.  The only GOP incumbent in a (used to be) competitive state is DeSantis, and he appears to be pretty damn teflon.  Well, there's also Kemp in Georgia, but we'll see if he even gets out of the primary.  Anyway, this is rather tangential and belongs in another thread, sorry.

Off topic for sure, but Blinken didn't spend some years hobnobbing in Russia, like JQ did, or have his niece-in-all lusted for and attempted to be seduced by the czar -- or live through an epidemic either, and lose a child as well.  Just sayin', ya know, I don't think there's anyone around with that kind of knowledge of diplomatic history, history in general -- even seeing the end of Napoleon, and so much more, including having been Sec of State before being POTUS. Though JQ and Blinken do rather have in common not being good political candidates when running for office -- or so one might think -- has Blinken ever run for office?  Fortunate for JA that he became MA's favorite son once he lost the presidency.

The majority of unvaxxed in the U.S. that I meet or notice, just seem to reinforce my long standing impression, that a significant swath of Americans really hate other Americans.

And the hate is on a level where they are unwilling to lift a finger or have a care over protecting anyone outside their narrowest of circles. They don't even care to protect elder family members let alone the general public, which in many cases they despise.

With those attitudes, getting vaccinated to protect the public, is out of the question for large swaths of them.

I have also met people who initially seemed to believe the virus was something that was made up to make Trump look bad. Some of these people have since been infected, yet are still unwilling to vaccinate. I have yet to parse out this groups explanation.

We are a very, very sick country, possibly uniquely so, and I'm not talking about sick from the virus. We are a greater danger to ourselves than the virus.

Archived