Covid 44: The Sickening

Mlle. Zabzie

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

they are unwilling to lift a finger or have a care over protecting anyone outside their narrowest of circles. They don't even care to protect elder family members let alone the general public, which in many cases they despise.

Which explains why I keep doing stuff for some, like across-the-hall neighbor, despite my upset with her taking advantage and so on and so forth -- she is a neighbor, someone who shares our living situation and our larger neighborhood and community.  This has been difficult for some of even my friends to comprehend.  We all have to take care of each other.  Those anti vaxers-maskers etc. don't have that concept, so I CANNOT take care of them.  For one thing I have already too much going on taking care of people like across-the-hall neighbor, who does do vaxing, masking etc. whatever other problems I may have with the persons.  Part of the community.  Antivaxers are not part of the community.  They don't want to be part of any community except anti-vaxing and owning us.

In the meantime our city -- probably the nation -- is going down for the count for a while at the very least.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/01/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

11 hours ago, Kalsandra said:

Okay, here is the difference between the US antivaxxers and the rest of the world's grouping.

Only the US has policy written to cater to the antivaxxers. We have states who give people unemployment benefits if they got fired for being antivax. We have states attempting to ban mask mandates or vaccine mandates in both public and private areas of life. 

Other countries have their crazies. In the US the crazies are in charge in big swaths of the country. 

That's not quite true. Certainly in the UK, Europe etc. that's a fair point, but think of places like Brazil, Belarus, or some of the central African countries.

This seems a reasonable warning that boosters may cut into any hope that we can finally start vaccinating the rest of the world.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/31/biden-novavax-production-covid-omicron-526283

Although Biden officials had repeatedly said U.S. can provide booster shots to all Americans without disrupting future donations, they now say more doses than previously expected could be consumed as other countries with already high levels of vaccination — such as those in Europe — ramp up the distribution of booster shots amid a sharp increase in Omicron cases.

The recent progress with Novavax is not as positive as it seems either.  The EU has approved Novavax but only those that are manufactured in India (thanks Serum Institute (SI)).  SI is the only place in the world that seems to be able to produce these vaccines currently.  Not that other countries haven't tried.

Novavax’s decision to apply for authorization using data only from the Serum Institute raises questions about the extent to which the company is still experiencing manufacturing problems in the U.S. and Europe. POLITICO previously reported that the company was failing to produce data that showed it could manufacture a shot with high purity levels in large batches. One of the main facilities that struggled is in Texas.

Novavax has recently filed data with the FDA also using SI data.  The last thing you want is India to be sending doses to US/Europe because countries in Europe/US are unable to produce the same vaccine at the right level of consistency.  And this article doesn't suggest it but it was the main question I had from reading it.

13 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Some of these people have since been infected, yet are still unwilling to vaccinate. I have yet to parse out this groups explanation.

Clearly the disinformation campaign against immunity acquired from exposure continues to bear fruit.  Those boosters aren't going to sell themselves!

14 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I have also met people who initially seemed to believe the virus was something that was made up to make Trump look bad. Some of these people have since been infected, yet are still unwilling to vaccinate. I have yet to parse out this groups explanation.

I work with at least one person who had Covid in 2020, but to this day, as far as I've been able to determine, will not get a vaccine shot.

Another had Covid last month, and she was only in the process of getting the shots (supposedly she thought her reaction to the first shot was normal reaction, but instead it was full blown Delta that put her in the hospital for a couple of days at least) because she didn't want to risk the government contracts we have with the military apparently.  Despite her hospital stay, she insists she'll not vaccinate her child when he is eligible in the coming months...

There are at least two more people out with Covid right now.  I do not know if those are regular or breakthrough cases. I realize that is information I wouldn't have unless told directly.

I'm uncertain where another worker is at, in terms of vaccinations, despite having Covid last month.  Though the information she's shared in my presence is that Ron DiSantis would be a great President and he really should have Candace Owens as his VP...so take that how you will...

I moved to this job for some peace of mind in terms of mental health, and in a lot of ways it has been positive for me.  Yet I'm flabbergasted that I've been able to avoid a breakthrough case of my own at this point...So I'll keep trying to do everything correctly...

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Clearly the disinformation campaign against immunity acquired from exposure continues to bear fruit.  Those boosters aren't going to sell themselves!

You do realize they are already paid for and not “selling” at all, right? Whether you are going to take it or not, your vaccine doses have and will continue to be purchased for you because part of the us response has included having enough vaccine for everyone. It’s not about “selling” anything, it’s about reduction in the spread of disease and rate of hospitalization which have data behind them showing even after Covid infection, immunity wanes. There’s no massive global conspiracy trying to trick you about this so there’s no reason to be such a contrarian pain in the ass

57 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

There’s no massive global conspiracy trying to trick you about this so there’s no reason to be such a contrarian pain in the ass

But then whatever in the world will he be left to do?

Fascinating...I'm looking up movie times, as the wife and I both have a day off tomorrow while the children return to school...and some theatres are listing movies with times for showings that require vaccinations and times that don't require vaccinations...I'm not sure how I feel about catering to such a manner to the unvaccinated...

2 hours ago, DMC said:

But then whatever in the world will he be left to do?

I mean, he could become a comrade and rail against the real conspiracy -- profit/rent-seeking. 

8 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

You do realize they are already paid for and not “selling” at all, right?

so if the government pays for it, it's free for the end recipient, free for the tax payer in general, and not profitable for the manufacturer?  I don't think you re actually claiming there isn't a profit motive in our medical system but if I m right about that, consider the incentives...

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Watch the Dolphins get their asses kicked?

Sean Mannion is kicking ass.

5 hours ago, Week said:

I mean, he could become a comrade and rail against the real conspiracy -- profit/rent-seeking. 

So profit seeking is an issue but the medical portion of the economy is exempt from those incentives?  

In Pfizer I trust baby.

I am unbothered by Pfizer and the other handful of pharmacy and biotech firms profiting from the gift of these vaccines to humanity.

I'm actually quite proud of having helped build some of their labs and mechanical systems down in Kalamazoo, it used to be known as Upjohns back then. It's now a site where the vaccine is produced.

So I enjoy the thought of having played a smallest of small parts, but still I enjoy the idea of it.

And as I said upfront, people profiting from their hard work is great, especially in something that benefits so many.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

So profit seeking is an issue but the medical portion of the economy is exempt from those incentives?  

Check the cost of an ICU stay, versus that on a vaccination - Google says it costs Medicare patients 150x more, per hospitalization. 

Show the math on how making more people go to the hospital instead of paying for cheap and easy preventative care is NOT the very definition of government waste and over-expenditure. 

34 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Check the cost of an ICU stay, versus that on a vaccination - Google says it costs Medicare patients 150x more, per hospitalization. 

Show the math on how making more people go to the hospital instead of paying for cheap and easy preventative care is NOT the very definition of government waste and over-expenditure.  Or STFU.

Dude, you're arguing with someone who believes vaccines are a hoax, masks don't work and covid is a hoax, and who only replies when he gets drunk. 

So the NY Post has a story about a raging lunatic in Australia, who was screaming about vaccines and lockdowns.

It culminated with him dumping gas over his head and igniting his body.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/02/australian-man-self-immolates-after-ranting-against-covid-vaccines?utm_source=drive&utm_campaign=android_nyp

6 hours ago, Kalsandra said:

Dude, you're arguing with someone who believes vaccines are a hoax, masks don't work and covid is a hoax, and who only replies when he gets drunk. 

Unless he's lying (possible for any of us) I do believe he said he's vaxed several threads ago. Anti-NPMs and mandates I think is more of the BigMk's schtik.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So the NY Post has a story about a raging lunatic in Australia, who was screaming about vaccines and lockdowns.

It culminated with him dumping gas over his head and igniting his body.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/02/australian-man-self-immolates-after-ranting-against-covid-vaccines?utm_source=drive&utm_campaign=android_nyp

Saw that article. I guess at least he only hurt himself, tragedy that it is for any person to be so far down the rabbit hole, almost certainly with pre-existing mental ilness they will kill themselves over the COVID vaccine. The real culprits are the grifters who are only egging people on and not really taking any action themselves.

Was delighted to register my 6 yo this morning. My mum had treatment for lung cancer this year, and my brother, father and sister in law all tested positive after going to the pub on St Stephen’s day. (26th). Fortunately she hasn’t appeared to get it. I believe there were industrial quantities of bleach and separate bedrooms / isolation. 

We did cancel a family holiday to Lanzarote on the 21st. We had been due to fly on the 29th for a week, but felt Omicron was too unpredicable at the time. Glad we did cancel as would have found out about Dad around an hour before flight was due. While we are all fine so far ( and either J or I are taking a test daily), I think we would have been very anxious had we gone

Archived