Dreamsongs of Ice and Fire Pt 3: A Fevre Dreamsong

Phylum of Alexandria

I recently finished Fevre Dream, and I have a few random observations of how it relates to ASOIAF.

(Spoilers for Fevre Dream below)

• Spoiler
    • Joshua York is probably the closest that we will get to seeing Rhaegar Targaryen alive on the page. And being so close to Rhaegar, there are also strong similarities between him and our heroes Jon and Dany.
    • Like Rhaegar and Dany, Joshua is driven to action by his faith in a prophecy. This prophecy is effective at rallying support for his cause, at least until failure eats away at this tidy hero’s narrative.
    • This narrative arc is strongly defined by continued failure, depressed resignation, and renewed determination. By the end of the novel, the prophecy technically becomes true, but at that point it’s the result of extremely grueling, messy, hard work and commitment in the face of failure rather than a simple hero’s fate. Even at the end, with the antagonist at his weakest, the victory seems a hair’s breadth away from collapsing for good. In other words, even though it may technically have been pre-ordained by the gods (author) it is written to feel exactly the opposite.
    • Indeed, part of why the resolution seems uncertain is because the supernatural curse that Joshua has been trying to fight in fact was needed to fight against Damon Julian. In other words, the problem is revealed as part of its own solution. Something tells me that Dany will have a similar dilemma and resolution with dragon fire.
    • The evil of the story is embodied by two different characters: Damon Julian and Sour Billy Tipton. Damon is obviously the more dangerous character, but to be honest, my hate for Sour Billy is far stronger than my hate for Damon Julian. Damon commits evil in an extremely disinterested, impersonal way. He almost feels more like an institution than a person: a personification of the slaving system that falls by the story’s end, or simply like an ancient malevolence that thrives on conflict and dominance. Sour Billy, on the other hand, is an all-too human manifestation of evil. He is a raging stew of insecurities, and commits aggression and cruelty to assert his power over others.
    • Tyrion’s ADWD journey on the Rhoyne, and in Selhorys and Volantis (those sweet-smelling slavers’ cities, ripe with decay), seems like a huge nod to Fevre Dream.

Any other observations relevant for ASOIAF?

I didn't think things could be worse than Ramsey Bolton and then Euron came along.  It sounds like Sour Billy and Damon Juian tip the scale on the worst kind of villain.  How do they compare with Ramsey and Euron?

On point number three; I'm expecting several characters to struggle in the manner you describe to one degree or another. .Each with their own part to play toward the end game.

A Feast for Crows - Prologue

"They do," mused Alleras, the Sphinx, "and if there are dragons in the world again . . ."

"Dragons and darker things," said Leo. "The grey sheep have closed their eyes, but the mastiff sees the truth. Old powers waken. Shadows stir. An age of wonder and terror will soon be upon us, an age for gods and heroes." He stretched, smiling his lazy smile. "That's worth a round, I'd say."

On point number four; I get the same sense for Dany's outcome.  It requires that the darkness she has to confront has to exist in a form where it can be confronted once and for all.  I think Bran will have something to do with creating those conditions.

Archived