What was Sandor's toy?

Seams

A woodcarver set up shop in the village under my father's keep, and to buy favor he sent us gifts. The old man made marvelous toys. I don't remember what I got, but it was Gregor's gift I wanted. A wooden knight, all painted up, every joint pegged separate and fixed with strings, so you could make him fight. Gregor is five years older than me, the toy was nothing to him, he was already a squire, near six foot tall and muscled like an ox. So I took his knight, but there was no joy to it, I tell you. I was scared all the while, and true enough, he found me.

(AGoT, Sansa II)

Sandor might not remember, but I bet GRRM knows what the toy was for Sandor. Based on details of his story and my guesswork at symbolism, I would guess that Sandor's toy might have been:

1) Some kind of globe or map of Westeros;

2) A moon that would crack open, allowing dragons to hatch;

3) A horse like his eventual mount named Stranger;

4) A tree or something strongly associated with wood, roots or leaves;

5) A spade (foreshadowing his probable gravedigger role);

6) A hound helmet; or

7) Something associated with a fool - a jester's scepter or hat, maybe. Fools and knights are opposites or balancing forces in ASOIAF. 

Other ideas? Or do you have a favorite from this list?

Sometimes I think people try way to hard to find something new that they make something out of nothing. 

Sometimes a toy is just a toy. If it mattered or was symbolic, Martin would've mentioned it. The point of the scene was to point out how brutal the Mountain was.

Though for maximum irony points I'll pick a fire starting flint. 

1 hour ago, Seams said:

Sandor might not remember, but I bet GRRM knows what the toy was for Sandor. Based on details of his story and my guesswork at symbolism, I would guess that Sandor's toy might have been:

1) Some kind of globe or map of Westeros;

2) A moon that would crack open, allowing dragons to hatch;

3) A horse like his eventual mount named Stranger;

4) A tree or something strongly associated with wood, roots or leaves;

5) A spade (foreshadowing his probable gravedigger role);

6) A hound helmet; or

7) Something associated with a fool - a jester's scepter or hat, maybe. Fools and knights are opposites or balancing forces in ASOIAF. 

Other ideas? Or do you have a favorite from this list?

None of the above.  A wooden carving in the likeness of a wolf.  Definitely something masculine.  Hounds hunted wolves. 

36 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

None of the above.  A wooden carving in the likeness of a wolf.  Definitely something masculine.  Hounds hunted wolves. 

I was going for Sandor's father attempting to shape the careers of his sons by the toys they are given.  He might see his first born and heir as a knight and his second son taking up the family business. 

22 hours ago, LynnS said:

I was going for Sandor's father attempting to shape the careers of his sons by the toys they are given.  He might see his first born and heir as a knight and his second son taking up the family business. 

That's interestig because it is usually the firstborn son and heir who is expected to continue the family business. Maybe he thought Gregor should get as far away from the family as possible, heir or not heir. It had probably become quite obvious by then that being a professional fighter is the only area where the elder son could excel. 

On 12/31/2021 at 11:50 AM, Seams said:

Sandor might not remember, but I bet GRRM knows what the toy was for Sandor.

I really don't think he does.  It was not relevant to the story, so he had no need to waste creative energy on the problem.

But since the point of this thread it to have fun making stuff up, fine.  I'll play.

It was a dragon.  And Sandor did not care for it because he did not like dragons.  He liked knights.  Symbolically, the knight and the dragon are archenemies.  Because the dragon devours the maiden, and the True Knight defends her.

Now I want to create a set of wooden toys charred or burnt. A hatchling flying dragon charred black sounds cool but getting all that detail…just thought about the paint! I’d have to paint them most like a fool’s work. A natural wood grain maybe stained bah…charred black mouth?

i honestly pulled my grandfather’s carving knives out of the garage. Ordering wood with Amazon. Lol

A fool is a great guess... but I might suggest a flower... a jonquil, or Narcissus jonquilla.

The tale of Florian (a knight and a fool) seeing Jonquil and her maid in the pool at Maidenpool may well be an inverse/play on the legend of Narcissus and Echo.

Not convinced this is a detail we ever get filled in, but fun to speculate!

If Gregor's toy was not appropriate for his age, the same will be true for Sandor's.  The toy was made for a younger boy.  So what is too young for Sandor?  It's a Sansa doll?  No, it was probably a static toy that does not move.  I mean, Sansa is wooden and static, but we are talking about the toy.  

On 12/31/2021 at 12:02 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Sometimes I think people try way to hard to find something new that they make something out of nothing. 

Sometimes a toy is just a toy. If it mattered or was symbolic, Martin would've mentioned it. The point of the scene was to point out how brutal the Mountain was.

Though for maximum irony points I'll pick a fire starting flint. 

It was obviously a phantom of the opera mask.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived