New Year Plans?

Derfel Cadarn

Or Hogmanay, as we call it in Scotland.

What’s everyone up to?

My first few New Years as an adult were in a smallish town- walk to pub, walk to party, walk (stagger) home. Was good.

My only New Year out in Glasgow (apart from over night party at a friends in 2002) was not my idea of fun. Two parties, then had to walk the length of Glasgow. Got home at 0630.

Since then, I prefer to stay in.

This year, my wife’s nightshift, so I’ll be drinking couple glasses of wine and maybe a small whisky (got. 3 year old in house so can’t drink too much). Might watch Book of Boba, an episode of The Witcher season 2, or The Martian, one of my favourite films.

Lights off and candles lit. And hope the bastard fireworks at midnight don’t wake my daughter or scare my two rabbits.

Spending it with my mother in her home. We'll watch the ceilidh on BBC Alba, then change over to Big Ben and the London fireworks and have a glass or two of champagne. Plus, we'll wander into the garden to see if any of the neighbours have got pretty fireworks (with apologies to any dogs, cats, guinea-pigs, rabbits or hamsters reading: this is a quiet district. There are few entertainments available that don't involve explosions). 

Then a couple more days before I head south, at which point I will have officially survived the Christmas season, thank god. The days are getting lighter, and spring will slowly start appearing, and I have a list of books I want to read,* so there are good things coming, even if 2022 is going to be austere for me: my New Year's resolution is to do some no-holds-barred saving for a deposit on a flat or tiny house. 

* in no small part thanks to the ASOIAF literature forum 

Pretty much as usual, spending the night at home with the family (and wouldn't have it any other way).  Firing up the grill (don't care that it's -35 F with the windchill) and will enjoy a nice New Year's Eve meal.  Then we'll find something to watch together while I and Mrs. PotN enjoy a few cups of various kinds of cheer, I'm sure.  And, finally, I'll be the only one still awake to actually ring in the New Year (also as usual).:D 

Happy New Year everyone! :cheers: 

New Years play party (optional Rocky Horror themed) for vaxxed and boosted folks at a friends house, unsure of how wild the night will get (we have some social anxiety and may duck out early if it gets to be too much /if things turn crazy).  Bringing charcuterie and cigars.  

Hope you all have a safe and happy new year!

11 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Watching Great British Baking Show

Ha!  The past two times, and even before that, my brother and I visited my parents we wind up watching A LOT of these.  Largely because my brother is a chef, so I wind up sitting on the couch browsing the internet (mainly here) or playing with their dogs.  Last week I think I "watched" the entire most recent season doing this.  Anyway, just very amusing personally.

As for my plans, I'm with y'all to the end...

....of the year.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

As for my plans, I'm with y'all to the end...

....of the year.

Huzzah! (Though I think your year ends an hour before mine does)

Currently sitting outside watching fireworks going off around the neighborhood.

It’s a nice 72F outside.

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I am hanging out with the cats and going to work tomorrow where I will be the only one there

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I like when I’m the only one in the office.

I leave the lights off and blast music. 

6 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I like when I’m the only one in the office.

I leave the lights off and blast music. 

It’s neutral. It’s bad In that I have to show up early and open the building before my clients arrive, set myself up, and tear down after I’m done (normally counter staff do these things). But it’s good in that none of my coworkers will be annoying me with bad music taste, whistling, or loud chewing.

Archived