Crackpot Debunking Thread

Corvo the Crow

As the title says. Although the forums aren't as busy as they were, there are still many ludicrous "theories" being proposed, and despite being debunked in one thread, they come back in two others over and over and over again :bang::bang: This really makes me feel the lack of a thread to debunk all these in a single place and once proposed again, simply just show that it was debunked with no effort other than a simple link to this thread.  So wear your tin foils people and debunk those utter nonsense in this thread, once and for all! Oh and don't forget, stay hydrated with fluoride water :P

38 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

As the title says. Although the forums aren't as busy as they were, there are still many ludicrous "theories" being proposed, and despite being debunked in one thread, they come back in two others over and over and over again :bang::bang: This really makes me feel the lack of a thread to debunk all these in a single place and once proposed again, simply just show that it was debunked with no effort other than a simple link to this thread.  So wear your tin foils people and debunk those utter nonsense in this thread, once and for all! Oh and don't forget, stay hydrated with fluoride water :P

Maybe because anytime someone has an idea that goes against this small groups preformed ideas, you go and make some thread like this to bash on them and their ideas after already doing such on their threads. For a "forum", its very limiting and unwelcoming. 

If this site makes any money off of site visits, traffic and amount of active profiles. Things like this are certainly killing any profit from this site. If they make money from any of this. If not, its just signals its a "Private forum" where new comers and new ideas aren't welcome.

Edit- Not that you guys are pointing out particular people or anything, but if you bring up a crackpot theory that is rare then the person who posted it is likely to understand the slag on their idea still (Not themselves as a person just their ideas). Just constructive thoughts regarding the "quietness" of the forum.

Im sure the show endings lack luster probably lost interest of some people to the whole series and thus the forum too.

27 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

To answer your question though in a way. 

I find the R+L=J theory a difficult one to debate against, not so much for the theories for or against it either way, but as it's the general narrative put forward by GRRM that most except and defend fiercely sometimes. Like how most except that the Winter Rose is a Rose but others have pointed out is likely the Hellibore "winter rose". Which is not actually a rose. I think Grrm is great at making you think something, but subtly telling you something else. Leading to many creative ideas behind whether its the direct answer or subtle answers we should trust.

Can't say there are any theories that frustrate me though personally that much haha no matter how many times I see them posted. I especially don't feel compelled to self harm my head against a wall lol Don't forget, stay patient and open minded :D

I am somewhat ambivalent about crackpot ASOIAF theorizing. I will admit that, for the most part, I don't find them particularly valuable. People see what they want to see, and what they want to see can take them all sorts of strange places--places that often seem like completely different books from what GRRM has been writing! 

At the same time, thinking in unconventional ways can sometimes lead to fruitful lines of thinking and analysis. Take someone like LmL. A lot of his speculations are wacky and not well supported. But at very least he presents evidence-based analyses that raise certain questions. For instance, why does GRRM consistently use similar language to describe weirwoods and white walkers, and white walkers and the Kingsguard? Even if LmL's answers are unsatisfying, those questions themselves are valid and well posed. And he wouldn't have asked those questions if he were not poring over the text looking for connections. Not to mention, a few of his theories, like Moon Meteors--> Long Night, are fairly solid and well argued.

Regardless of what I think, though, ultimately people come to these books for a whole host of different reasons. Some people hate the magic and love the politics. Some focus on the world building, others on sociological commentary. Some are fixated on these mysteries and possible hidden plots. While people can really go overboard here, it's not like GRRM doesn't love this stuff, at least sometimes. So, I do agree with you, but it's okay that others go at it differently. I think the best you can do is make clear where you stand, avoid content that seems pointless to you, and focus on what you think is important.

To clarify, I'm NOT against against theorizing, I like reading a good one and you may even see me doing some, nor am I particularly bothered by seeing crackpot theories. I don't care for them, but doesn't bother me much either. What bothers me then? Seeing those crackpots which have been disproven, with firm evidence to the contrary I might add, over and over and over again. Normal process of thought would be: "oh can Planetos be flat?" or "PLANETOS IS FLAT!!!" if you're feeling so sure of it, and then someone comes saying "no it's not, it's round" and presents you with a solid evidence and you'd then say "oh, ok! I thought it was flat but this evidence proves me wrong". But this normal process doesn't happen and instead in every single not related thread you see that same crackpot theory, the one that was debunked, over and over and over again and it's still somewhat fine if different people bring it about, after all, they may not have seen the evidence against it and you can't expect people to be in the know of every little useless thing, but no it's the same people.

6 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

To clarify, I'm NOT against against theorizing, I like reading a good one and you may even see me doing some, nor am I particularly bothered by seeing crackpot theories. I don't care for them, but doesn't bother me much either. What bothers me then? Seeing those crackpots which have been disproven, with firm evidence to the contrary I might add, over and over and over again. Normal process of thought would be: "oh can Planetos be flat?" or "PLANETOS IS FLAT!!!" if you're feeling so sure of it, and then someone comes saying "no it's not, it's round" and presents you with a solid evidence and you'd then say "oh, ok! I thought it was flat but this evidence proves me wrong". But this normal process doesn't happen and instead in every single not related thread you see that same crackpot theory, the one that was debunked, over and over and over again and it's still somewhat fine if different people bring it about, after all, they may not have seen the evidence against it and you can't expect people to be in the know of every little useless thing, but no it's the same people

Well, consider that we can't even rid our world of flat-Earthers. :) No matter how much evidence is presented, some small bunch will believe what they believe no matter what. The same is possibly true here, even if it is less about religious orthodoxy and groupthink, and probably more about self-indulgent thinking. 

9 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Well, consider that we can't even rid our world of flat-Earthers. :) No matter how much evidence is presented, some small bunch will believe what they believe no matter what. The same is possibly true here, even if it is less about religious orthodoxy and groupthink, and probably more about self-indulgent thinking. 

What? You propose earth is NOT flat? What a preposterous notion!  I challenge thee my goodman, to a duel. We'll have at each other with ear sticks made of the softest cotton. Prepare to be bashed.

35 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

What? You propose earth is NOT flat? What a preposterous notion!  I challenge thee my goodman, to a duel. We'll have at each other with ear sticks made of the softest cotton. Prepare to be bashed.

A plague o' both your houses!

If you are getting tired of the same old, same old; you can kick-start your engines again by listening to Radio Westeros podcasts.  I listened to a bunch of them recently and they were interesting and entertaining.  I wasn't bored once.  I'm hoping they release the Varamyr chapter soon as it's only available to patreon members at the moment.

I also recommend listening to Terry Pratchett's The Thief of Time audio-book on youtube.  The narrator is a really good voice actor and the story is hilarious.  Who doesn't need a good laugh?

30 minutes ago, LynnS said:

If you are getting tired of the same old, same old; you can kick-start your engines again by listening to Radio Westeros podcasts.  I listened to a bunch of them recently and they were interesting and entertaining.  I wasn't bored once.  I'm hoping they release the Varamyr chapter soon as it's only available to patreon members at the moment.

I also recommend listening to Terry Pratchett's The Thief of Time audio-book on youtube.  The narrator is a really good voice actor and the story is hilarious.  Who doesn't need a good laugh?

Good suggestion, but I decide to theorize as you can see above, or should I say terrorize with theories?:rofl:

Would really appreciate some input as, despite being composed in just under 15 minutes and done for mock, I believe  it's a lot more plausible than some of the other crackpots out there. I would like to pursue this train of thought, who knows, perhaps GRRM would be impressed and add it as an easter egg or something :D

Ridiculous Theory: Sansa will become a skilled player of the game:

Sansa is not heading in this direction. Sansa doesn’t have the smarts. All her hopes are on finding somebody who can take her places. She will follow him on the way up and come crashing down when he does.   From Joff to Sandor, then to LF. Sansa and LF will crash together.  

4 hours ago, LynnS said:

Yah RW just doesn't come out with the fresh as much as they once did, but they are always fun to listen to.  I am part timing and randomly reading Discworld.   Brilliant.  

11 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

There have always ALWAYS been er unconventional ideas about our tale.  It sparks a great deal of imagination and creativity.   There are those who love foreshadowing and prophesy and symbolism.  There are detectives and the most romantic reading shippers anywhere despite the harshness of ASOIAF.  There are code breakers among us.   Who are we to call anything ludicrous?  

It's wonderful having 5 really big books down and so much mystery remaining.  In that Martin doesn't speak to us here, to whom else may we turn but each other?  

However, among what I considered to be really far out among many really far out ideas was Jojen Paste which was a cleverly written piece.  Now, should this abomination turn out to be true I will still think it is the most far out of any idea I've beheld here.  

5 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

There have always ALWAYS been er unconventional ideas about our tale.  It sparks a great deal of imagination and creativity.   There are those who love foreshadowing and prophesy and symbolism.  There are detectives and the most romantic reading shippers anywhere despite the harshness of ASOIAF.  There are code breakers among us.   Who are we to call anything ludicrous?  

It's wonderful having 5 really big books down and so much mystery remaining.  In that Martin doesn't speak to us here, to whom else may we turn but each other?  

However, among what I considered to be really far out among many really far out ideas was Jojen Paste which was a cleverly written piece.  Now, should this abomination turn out to be true I will still think it is the most far out of any idea I've beheld here.  

I'm not against theories as I said earlier, if it's a good one, well established, it's nice, even it's not well established and is just some crackpot it's still ok if it's fun to read but there are theories that are not only crackpot but has solid evidence going against them and even after they have been pointed out, these theories somehow resurface as the posters persist in their "idea" and cling to it even more like a person desperately clinging to the edge of a cliff, despite being proven wrong on numerous occasions. 

So simply: Good theories? Very good

Crackpot theories? Fine I guess, if it's fun to read.

Crackpots with evidence against them but yet persisting especially if a small group of posters keep posting that despite being proven wrong. No, just no. This some flat earther level behaviour.

Archived