Fate of Robert's bastards

What do you think should be the fates of Robert Baratheon's surviving bastard children that weren't in King's Landing or escaped Cersei's spiteful revenge such as Gendry, Mya Stone or Edric Storm ? 

What roles could they have possibly in The Winds of Winter and/or A Dream of Spring ? 

What should be the continuation of Mya's friendship with Sansa and role in the Vale and North storylines ?

Will Gendry continue to be a member of the BWB ? Could he be following Lady Stoneheart's orders and be part of the anti-Frey crusade ? Will he reunite with Arya ?

How long Will Edric Storm stay in Lys after Davos sent him here to escape being used as a sacrifice by Melissandre ? Could he have a role in Essos plot ? What could cause him to return to Westeros ? 

Also will one of them end up legitimized and become the new lord of Storm's End and of the Stormlands by the end of the series ? What will be their situation by the time ASOIAF ends ?

A bastard born from a noble woman and a bastard born from a commoner have completely different prospects. Edric Storm may be legitimized at some point. But even if Mya or Gendri knew they are royal bastards and could prove it somehow, they'd have no chance at inheriting anything.

I lowkey think that Gendry, Mya and Edric (if they all survive!!) will all be legitimized with Edric being the new head of House Baratheon and Lord of Storm's End.

Mya and Gendry will probably end up in the Stark circle. Mya probably will be a confidant of Sansa and make it to Winterfell. Edric will end up in the Targaryen circle and survive the series.

41 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Send Gendry to the Wall and marry Mya to a hedge knight. Edric will end up in Dany’s circle. I would foster him with Skahaz.

The bastards have nothing to offer.  

Send Gendry to the Wall because he has the Usurper's blood? Wow. Please, tell me more about how moral and enlightened our queen and savior Daenerys is. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Send Gendry to the Wall because he has the Usurper's blood? Wow. Please, tell me more about how moral and enlightened our queen and savior Daenerys is. 

Queen Daenerys' Bible has all the answers to your questions. Call Meereenese Books now, for your copy, 50 percent off!

45 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Queen Daenerys' Bible has all the answers to your questions. Call Meereenese Books now, for your copy, 50 percent off!

Well I guess, Daenerys is becoming less of a character and more of a religion. No wonder I'm knee jerking against the cult of personality lately. <_<

I'm curious about Robert's bastards too. We have 2 different counts from 2 different sources. In her prophesy to Cersei Maggy the Frog says that her husband will have 16 children while Varys claims to have found and identified 8. I want to read a lot into this discrepancy ( MtF was FoS!) but it's possible that Varys hasn't found them all though he's not really a half asser when it comes to digging up secrets.

If there's a will to maintain the Baratheon line after Cersei's kids are eliminated then I would suspect that Edric Storm would be the most likely candidate should he survive to the end of things unless they decide to stay legitimate and go out to a cousin or something. This will probably be dependent upon who's making the decisions and whether or not Robert's surviving bastards are noble or not on the other side.

It would be amusing if Danny's future reign was plagued by a succession of Robert spawn claiming her crown. (not saying it's gonna be Dany, it just wouldn't be as amusing if it were someone else on the throne)

22 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

We have 2 different counts from 2 different sources. In her prophesy to Cersei Maggy the Frog says that her husband will have 16 children while Varys claims to have found and identified 8. I want to read a lot into this discrepancy ( MtF was FoS!) but it's possible that Varys hasn't found them all though he's not really a half asser when it comes to digging up secrets.

I really don't see it as a discrepancy. Allowing that Maggy's prophecy was accurate, it's not reasonable to expect Varys to track every one of Robert's sperm.

1 minute ago, Lord Lannister said:

I really don't see it as a discrepancy. Allowing that Maggy's prophecy was accurate, it's not reasonable to expect Varys to track every one of Robert's sperm.

Exactly. Varys, after all, is not particularly invested in the Baratheon family. He kept an eye on the bastards that were public knowledge and the ones living nearby - or the ones Robert told him to keep an eye on. These ones could be used against the Lannisters when it seemed necessary, but there was no reason to find all 16 of them. Chances are Robert himself didn't know about all of them.

Looking at the current state of the Baratheon family, Edric will probably come in handy one day, so he has a good chance of being legitimized. 

Gendry will be a smith. I hope he will survive and will eventually have a normal life.

I like the idea of Mya establishing some sort of bond with Sansa - she is the character that Sansa is currently impersonating, the lowborn bastard daughter of a nobleman, and their fathers used to be best friends. I hope Mya will find happiness with Lothor Brune, who will hopefully also serve Sansa after Littlefinger is finished. 

it might be that Baratheon line won't survive. but if it does, Edric Storm will be the Lord of Stormsend . 

Gendry doesn't have much of a chance to prove himself as Robert's and even if he did , I doubt that's what he would have wanted or that was his path in the story. He will probably be in Riverlands if he survives the ending to keep a faction of the brotherhood alive..to protect the weak against the mighty and those sot of things . if Arya ever gets to see lady S , she will also be united with Gendry. but I don't see any future for them romantically or platonic.

Mya and Sansa might get closer in the next book and it could take her to North with Sansa. if not, she will stay the lady of the mountains.

24 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Exactly. Varys, after all, is not particularly invested in the Baratheon family. He kept an eye on the bastards that were public knowledge and the ones living nearby - or the ones Robert told him to keep an eye on. These ones could be used against the Lannisters when it seemed necessary, but there was no reason to find all 16 of them. Chances are Robert himself didn't know about all of them.

I think it's interesting that people are more willing to put stock in Maggy's number that Varys'. Based upon what exactly do you give her credence? Cersei thought she could see the future? There's got to be more than that, doesn't there?

11 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I think it's interesting that people are more willing to put stock in Maggy's number that Varys'. Based upon what exactly do you give her credence? Cersei thought she could see the future? There's got to be more than that, doesn't there?

the woman's a witch:P between Varys (a guy who should follow Robert's sperm trail just to guess if the child's his or not) and Maggi (a witch who supposedly sees the future)  , Maggi is more reliable. though , both could be wrong at the end of the day!!!

5 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

the woman's a witch:P between Varys (a guy who should follow Robert's sperm trail just to guess if the child's his or not) and Maggi (a witch who supposedly sees the future)  , Maggi is more reliable. though , both could be wrong at the end of the day!!!

I guess I'm just a little skeptical of taking for granted that she can see the future. Here's an instance where we have a discrepancy between what she 'saw' all those years ago in her little tent and what Varys' little birds were able to find out for him and the common response is that there's something wrong with the work Varys did... maybe he wasn't that concerned with Baratheons... how could he follow every little sperm... ect.  Maggy doesn't get anything like the same treatment though, she told Cersei that she saw the future and it is accepted that it was the future that she saw and also that she retold it as she saw it without editorial. To me of the two Varys is unquestionably the more reliable source.  

1 hour ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

To be honest, I never considered the two to be at variance. Maggy had prophetic talents, so she was able to foretell the number of children (in the case of Cersei she was right, no?). Varys has the talent to find people, but he probably does not know how many bastards are out there because Robert himself probably does not know for certain either. I don't see why Varys would go out of his way to keep looking for more bastards than the ones he already knows about. What are they to him, and at what number should he stop? The ones nobody knows about are just commoners, after all.

1 minute ago, Julia H. said:

. Varys has the talent to find people, but he probably does not know how many bastards are out there because Robert himself probably does not know for certain either. I don't see why Varys would go out of his way to keep looking for more bastards than the ones he already knows about. What are they to him, and at what number should he stop? The ones nobody knows about are just commoners, after all.

Cersei was having Robert's bastards rounded up and done away with.  I think that given his job description Varys would have been involved in that, even if he only lent superficial support. We also have Varys helping Gendry escape the same purge. Whatever his motives were, finding Robert's bastards wasn't out of Varys' way.

Edric Storm is the only one likely to get anything from being Robert's bastard.   He was acknowledged and raised in Renly's household at Storm's End.  He is therefore known to the Stormlords and has the background to become Lord of Storm's End.

Mya and Gendry will serve whatever purpose GRRM thinks will move the story forward. 

Mya is connected to Sansa's story.  If Sansa were, for example, to matchmake her with Lothar Brune, they could potentially be useful allies in any conflict with Littlefinger. 

Gendry is connected to Arya.  He can identify her, which could come in useful.  They could potentially have a short romantic attachment, but I don't really see a future together for them.

26 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Can someone remind me of the context, please? Why is nobody considering the possibility that Varys was lying?

He was talking to Ned on the subject of Robert's bastards.  I think it was in Ned's office.  He had no real reason to lie about the number.  The others are likely unknown to Robert, and possibly even their mothers. 

Isn't Bella in the Riverlands also a bastard of Robert's?  It already looks like Gendry has had development to serve real purpose--he's become a knight and already had training for a steady day job.  As do Mya and Bella, but what outside of reading does Edric Storm actually do?  There won't be a tedious Baratheon claimant to the throne contest will there?  

Archived