Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

Carry on

I think we will improve if and when Pogba is in to help with transitional passing, but that on its own points to the problem which is that him and Shaw are still the only decent game-building passers we have in the entire squad. I don't understand why both James Garner and Dylan Levitt went on loan this season- even if they're not ready for regular first-team action, at least one should surely have been around for emergencies (not to mention, if either is gonna be good enough for the first team then you'd think they should be going on loan in the Prem or another top division, at age 20 and 21).   

Not overly familiar with the kids you mention (though I've heard of Garner a bit) - are they genuinely good, or is it just the usual fans' wishful thinking regarding their academy guys, like the vast majority of Liverpool's bunch?

Pogba can pass of course, but he's a massive inconsistency all on his own, so he's probably only going to partially fix any issues.

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

are they genuinely good, or is it just the usual fans' wishful thinking regarding their academy guys, like the vast majority of Liverpool's bunch?

It's hard to say for sure at this stage, but both are at least progressive passers by trade. Even if they turn out to be not ultimately good enough, in situation's like now where we just don't have anyone who does that it's hard to see how having one of them about wouldn't be useful, if they're anywhere close to being good enough.

7 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Not overly familiar with the kids you mention (though I've heard of Garner a bit) - are they genuinely good, or is it just the usual fans' wishful thinking regarding their academy guys, like the vast majority of Liverpool's bunch?

Right now I'd say it's just wishful thinking. Although I do think that some fans tend to write off players too quickly. Garner has some solid technical abilities and is a good passer which could see him improve enough to become a solid PL level player (even if it's not at United). He wasn't good enough for Watford last season but has been much better at Forest. Levitt's technical ability is lower than McTominay's and he does not have the physicality or pressing ability of McTominay to compensate. He's also not nearly as good a passer as Garner is - can't see him progressing to be anything beyond a lower division player.

Yeah, that's pretty grim. Guess it shows how desperate he is to get back in the game. It's an absolute tragedy how his career played out. His body was basically wrecked by Wenger overplaying him when he was young.

In other news, Ornstein writing in The Athletic that Ainsley-Miles to Roma is almost done. The clubs have agreed a deal, with only personal terms yet to be sorted. He writes that these are not expected to be a problem. 

If this is true, and seeing as it's Ornstein it likely is, it must mean someone else is coming in. With Partey and Elneny off to AFCON, there is no way Arteta sanctions Ainsley's departure without a replacement. 

And seeing as Ornstein makes absolutely no mention of this point in his piece, imma take it as confirmation of the Wijnaldum rumours. 

29 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, that's pretty grim. Guess it shows how desperate he is to get back in the game. It's an absolute tragedy how his career played out. His body was basically wrecked by Wenger overplaying him when he was young.

Still remember that performance against Barcelona. Legit just broke prime Barca's entire midfield pressing game basically on his own. It was fucking ridiculous. Real shame how things turned out, yeah.

8 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Pretty sad to see Insigne leave Napoli.  The frontline of him, Mertens, and Callejon was so much fun to watch for a few years. 

Kind of crazy that he's going to Toronto, who finished as the 26th best team out of 27 in the MLS last year.  Feel like the MLS sometimes gets star players near the end of their careers, but pretty rare for a player of his level when he's still playing well (even if he'll be 31 next year).  Offer must have been way better than what he could have earned in Europe, I guess.

I'd like to know precisely how many Covid cases they've got. On the radio the other day, peeps were suggesting that some clubs might use this tactic to get games called off, even if they've got enough fit squad players to play the match.

16 hours ago, Spockydog said:

In other news, Ornstein writing in The Athletic that Ainsley-Miles to Roma is almost done. The clubs have agreed a deal, with only personal terms yet to be sorted. He writes that these are not expected to be a problem. 

If this is true, and seeing as it's Ornstein it likely is, it must mean someone else is coming in. With Partey and Elneny off to AFCON, there is no way Arteta sanctions Ainsley's departure without a replacement. 

And seeing as Ornstein makes absolutely no mention of this point in his piece, imma take it as confirmation of the Wijnaldum rumours. 

It’s Charlie Patino time.

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It’s Charlie Patino time.

He's goooooood, but not quite ready yet. 

Just heard on the radio that if Liverpool cannot fulfil their obligations tomorrow night, then Arsenal might be awarded the victory. That would be nice.

Archived