Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

James Pearce weighs in on Luis Diaz to Liverpool rumours

James Pearce has put an end to the rumours linking Liverpool with a winter window move for Luis Diaz.

This comes from The Athletic, with the reliable reporter claiming that the club don’t see the price-tag attached to the Colombian as being viable to meet in the immediate window.

21 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It's true, no good players ever come out of Poland.

And how many world class players are playing in Poland? What I said, I said Polish Ekstraklasa is not actually extra class, but really a low level football league. The better talents leave the country quite early. Kozlowski won't join Brighton straight away, but is gonna spend a season (at least) in Belgium on loan. The Belgian league is what second tier league internationally? But that's sporting wise still a step up compared the Polish league. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Does this mean Barca can actually register Ferran Torres?

No. Reports are that getting a portion of Coutinho's wages off the books helps a lot but is still not enough to register Torres. Barca need to offload another player and reports say that won't be a problem as they are close to sorting out another outgoing - most likely it'll be one or more of Demir, Luuk de Jong or Umtiti (possibly Dest too although that seems less likely).

trippier official. the renaissance has begun! 

so, for me i am just a dumb yank who latched onto the wrong premier league club back in the late 90s. it was alan shearer that did it for me. things took a pretty bad turn after that with mike ashley and a couple relegations. 

i hadn't any say in who owned newcastle before and i don't have any say now. but they have ambition and they want to return the club to what it once was. even if relegated we will still be in a better overall place than even the 5th finish in 2011-2012 under pardew and ashley. 

this does put a very real aspect of change on the sport though. not hard to see similar financial powerhouses following the playbook of man city and raising up forgotten clubs and nobodys into titans. this will break the norm we have experienced most of our lives in the premier league.

the traditional top four has already given way to a top six in recent years. in the next ten or so we will see an even greater shift. it used to be unimaginable that manchester united could go 8 seasons without winning the league. now we could easily see them not winning one for 15 and not be shocked. 

the times they are a-changin.

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

On Coutinho: you say loan to Aston Villa, I say Newcastle job application.

I mean, that's fine and all but if it were true why didn't Newcastle loan him now with an option to buy? Barca would have bitten their hand off. The only answer I can see is that Coutinho didn't fancy it, which bodes ill for Newcastle. Maybe he'll go there if they stay up and Villa don't want to make the transfer permanent. 

3 minutes ago, mormont said:

Maybe he'll go there if they stay up

I mean, I think this is the key. 

Like Gerrard probably did help too but there's gonna be a lot of players waiting to see if Newcastle stay up before they commit to anything.

I could be wrong but if I understand how a standard 'option to buy' clause works Coutinho would still be able to reject it even if Villa triggered it. It's a first option/one-club release clause, not just an automatic contract extension/transfer, no? 

I don't know, but presumably the same would be true for Newcastle, or Coutinho could have asked for a relegation release clause. 

The takeaway from this for me is that Coutinho really doesn't fancy Newcastle and will only go there if he has no other option (or no other option that doesn't involve whatever he considers an unacceptable wage cut). 

2 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

...not hard to see similar financial powerhouses following the playbook of man city and raising up forgotten clubs and nobodys into titans. this will break the norm we have experienced most of our lives in the premier league...

So who will purchase and begin the resurrection of Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa?

I don’t think it received any mention here but City conveniently announced a huge new commercial sponsorship from the Emirates Palace hotel (owned by the Abu Dhabi govt) and from a renewable energy company (owned by the Abu Dhabi govt).

I expect the AD govt will eventually have to create new shell companies whose entire expenditure (and operations) will be sponsorship for City.

Archived