Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

On Coutinho: you say loan to Aston Villa, I say Newcastle job application.

Did Newcastle even want Coutinho? I don't recall there being any reliable links. Besides, Coutinho has been completely and utterly gash for two years now and his best position is where Saint-Maximin plays and ASM is the better player right now and by a good margin.

Just looking at the reporting of reliable journos, it seems Newcastle have prioritised the defence this window. With Trippier completed they are in the market for one or two CBs and a LB. A CF wasn't a priority but with Wilson getting injured, reports say they will look to bring in a CF as well. There was also a report in The Times that they may consider bringing in Aaron Ramsey too.

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

No. Reports are that getting a portion of Coutinho's wages off the books helps a lot but is still not enough to register Torres. Barca need to offload another player and reports say that won't be a problem as they are close to sorting out another outgoing - most likely it'll be one or more of Demir, Luuk de Jong or Umtiti (possibly Dest too although that seems less likely).

They also got Aguero's contract off the books, so I assumed that Ferran Torres basically picked up his wages.

Demir shouldn't be on their selling list. He is one of those building for a better future players. Dembele is a better candidate imho. He is not willing to accept their contract offer and the new board is apparently not willing to raise their offer again. 

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

They also got Aguero's contract off the books, so I assumed that Ferran Torres basically picked up his wages.

Demir shouldn't be on their selling list. He is one of those building for a better future players. Dembele is a better candidate imho. He is not willing to accept their contract offer and the new board is apparently not willing to raise their offer again. 

Demir started okay but hasn't really kicked on and it's been reported that he's not in Xavi's plans. He's only on loan and one of Barca's execs, Mateu Alemany, has already confirmed that Demir's agent has been informed to find him another club. Dembele's situation is more complicated - he's on massive wages, is injury prone as fuck, his attitude stinks and he's unprofessional so it's probably going to be tough offloading him this month.

Yeah, I forgot Demir was there merely on loan. Injury prone and on massive wages? Somebody said Umtiti?

Thought Umtiti was only willing to leave on loan until the end of the season (no option) and to a club in Italy or England (preferably playing in the CL or EL). 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

How does that work if Aguero retired for medical reasons, not unlike a long term injury?  Is his contract really voided, or is it that an insurance policy now pays his contract instead?

8 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

How does that work if Aguero retired for medical reasons, not unlike a long term injury?  Is his contract really voided, or is it that an insurance policy now pays his contract instead?

I mean, Aguero is no longer a player of Barcelona, is he? I assume, that's now a case for an insurance. Ask somebody who knows the specifics of Spanish law in that field. But from Barcelona's perspective: they signed a contract with a player, the player is (for medical reasons) unable to live up to his end of the deal. So why should they be on the hook for it. 

27 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I mean, Aguero is no longer a player of Barcelona, is he? I assume, that's now a case for an insurance. Ask somebody who knows the specifics of Spanish law in that field. But from Barcelona's perspective: they signed a contract with a player, the player is (for medical reasons) unable to live up to his end of the deal. So why should they be on the hook for it. 

That sounds very similar to a player who ruptures an ACL or tears their Achilles’ tendon. They are physically unable to fulfill their contract.  He’s not refusing to play, he’s just not medically available to play.  I don’t know that a players contract is necessarily voided in that case.  I would guess either the club or the player (depending on who bears the risk) buys insurance, but that may or may not create cap room for them in the LaLiga calculation of allowable expenditure.

Eriksen at Inter may be different became his new cardiac implant makes him ineligible to play in Serie A under their rules.  And Inter seemed a little too happy to shift him off their wage book while telling everyone that he’s ineligible to play now so their hands are tied.

Injuries are covered by inusrances. Again, very specific to the countries, whether that's covered by a public health provider or by a private one. This is where more specific knowledge about Spain is needed.

Eriksen is ineligible to play in the Serie A with his implant. Aguero seems to be unable to play at a professional level. Slight difference. On the Eriksen note, he can and wants to play elsewhere and has returned to Denmark and hopes to play the World Cup in Qatar. Which sounds absolute madness to me. But it's his life.

And Gladbach managed to beat a corona depleted Bayern with 2-1 yesterday and got themselves some more breathing room in the relegation zone. Fun trivia fact. For a period of the last 15 years Gladbach have positive score against Bayern (only Bundesliga team obviously).

12 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That sounds very similar to a player who ruptures an ACL or tears their Achilles’ tendon. They are physically unable to fulfill their contract.  He’s not refusing to play, he’s just not medically available to play.  I don’t know that a players contract is necessarily voided in that case.  I would guess either the club or the player (depending on who bears the risk) buys insurance, but that may or may not create cap room for them in the LaLiga calculation of allowable expenditure.

Eriksen at Inter may be different became his new cardiac implant makes him ineligible to play in Serie A under their rules.  And Inter seemed a little too happy to shift him off their wage book while telling everyone that he’s ineligible to play now so their hands are tied.

Aguero and Barca reached a mutual agreement to terminate his contract. However, according to reports, as part of the termination agreement Barca will pay out his contract for this season. This is why they still needed to offload more wages before they can register Torres.

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

Millwall fans are scary. Does any club have a worse reputation?

Millwall are the worst by far. I've policed a lot now football and their ground is by far the most intimidating. It's not even close. 

28 minutes ago, MercenaryChef said:

they do anything particularly rough today?

and newcastle. fuck.

They booed the Crystal Palace players for kneeling. Like, really loud boos, indicating that it was not just a minority of the support.

I didn't think Newcastle fans had a reputation for being rough? I know they get a lot of flak because other fans think Newcastle fans are deluded, but they think spurs fans are deluded too so I actually sympathize with Newcastle fans there :lol:

1 minute ago, Darryk said:

They booed the Crystal Palace players for kneeling. Like, really loud boos, indicating that it was not just a minority of the support.

I didn't think Newcastle fans had a reputation for being rough? I know they get a lot of flak because other fans think Newcastle fans are deluded, but they think spurs fans are deluded too so I actually sympathize with Newcastle fans there :lol:

fuck that noise. pricks. read several books about the 'glory days' of english firms and millwall was always described as particularly awful. 

Archived