Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

1 hour ago, mormont said:

I know they have to walk before they run and they're desperate for a striker, and all that, but still. I don't think raiding Burnley was what the Newcastle fans had in mind when they discovered their club had acquired a bottomless money pit.

We don't want to talk about it. I'm sure Mbappe and Haaland will be along soon enough. 

9 hours ago, broken one said:

There's even a short television drama "The knife in Dino Baggio's head".  I think Polish fans are (one of many but pretty important) reason for poor shape of Polish league. Sb should drive the ogres out of stadiums and let normal people in.

Do you volunteer for that task?

11 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

credit to Gerrard, Villa look like an even better team than last season. Poor, poor game from United.

Villa looked fantastic at times, they way they passed it around Utd with little flicks and touches was beautiful. I haven't watched much of Villa this season and kind of imagined Gerrard was more of a direct coach, even with his Xmas tree, but I'm definitely tuning in when Villa play next.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Villa looked fantastic at times, they way they passed it around Utd with little flicks and touches was beautiful. I haven't watched much of Villa this season and kind of imagined Gerrard was more of a direct coach, even with his Xmas tree, but I'm definitely tuning in when Villa play next.

Gerrard has done well so far but also United have been so shit that we make every team look better than they actually are. We made Norwich, Newcastle, Watford and Burnley look good.

31 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Gerrard has done well so far but also United have been so shit that we make every team look better than they actually are. We made Norwich, Newcastle, Watford and Burnley look good.

The differences in the pressing between the two sides was pretty striking. I saw 5 players charging at Rashford quite a few times, if I was him I'd have crapped my pants. On the other hand I still don't know what Utd's plan is for pressing, I thought it was an Ole issue but it hasn't been fixed completely yet.

WRT United, there's quite a bit of speculation ongoing on what and on how many levels that team is broken.

Ranging from mentality (team was being too comfortable under OGS) and somewhat related to it lacking fitness (thus unwilling/unable to play a pressing game for a full game). To the squad lacking cohesion. 

Judging from what I've seen, I think fitness might be a good candidate. That's on top of the bad recruitment/squad building. 

Transfer market in Germany has seen some cb movements.

Heintz (Freiburg) -> (Union Berlin)

Friedrich (Union Berlin) -> (Gladbach)

Both moves make sense. Gladbach will be losing Ginter at the end of the season on a free (if no club is making an offer now), so they needed someone to fill that hole. Friedrich's contract was also expiring, so Union has decided to cash in now. Friedrich himself has established himself as a very good, but somewhat one-dimensional CB. 

Heintz isn't a bad CB, but Freiburg simply had too many, and he was often the odd man out. Esp. with N. Schlotterbeck's meteoric rise this season (check prev. thread). Somewhat of a downgrade, but there's no way they could've replaced the outgoing Friedrich with an established CB of similar quality.

10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

All the money in the world and we are signing a 30 year old forward who has scored 3 goals this season from fucking Burnley. Being loaded is not all its cracked up to be. 

he would have had a hat trick on Saturday. we need a striker. and it fucks a rival. not a bad buy for me.

19 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

All the money in the world and we are signing a 30 year old forward who has scored 3 goals this season from fucking Burnley. Being loaded is not all its cracked up to be. 

The problem for Newcastle is clubs are reluctant to sell and also Newcastle are in pretty poor shape right now and that adds to the difficulty in attracting players. According to reports, what made Wood a priority is that he apparently has a release clause so that takes negotiating with Burnley out of the equation - I doubt Burnley would sell otherwise.

eta. Newcastle have Botman as their top CB target but Lille have thus far refused to negotiate and remain adamant that Botman will not leave during this window.

25 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

He got 12 & 14 goals in the last two seasons. I think output similar to that would be good perhaps? It's not the most imaginative of signings, that I agree with but trying to look at the bright side here a bit

28 minutes ago, MercenaryChef said:

he would have had a hat trick on Saturday. we need a striker. and it fucks a rival. not a bad buy for me.

Should have left it till the last day of the window, doing it this early allows Burnley the chance to spend that money on squad depth they desperately need.

Archived