Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Should have left it till the last day of the window, doing it this early allows Burnley the chance to spend that money on squad depth they desperately need.

Wood has a low release clause though (around £20m according to reports). That's not very likely to help Burnley improve their depth to any significant degree.

Not quite sure what happened at the end of the Mali Tunisia match, but if AFCON wants to be treated with respect by the rest of the footballing world, they need to put a stop to shit like this. 

The only possible explanation for what we saw today is corruption. 

11 hours ago, Spockydog said:

The only possible explanation for what we saw today is corruption. 

It's a bizarre way to go about it if it is corruption. Like obviously match-fixers aren't always necessarily the most subtle of people but you have to have some level of plausible deniability. If a 1-0 win for Mali is what he was aiming to achieve, it was odd to give a soft penalty to Tunisia and to send a Malian player off after the first attempt to end the game, and ending it in a manner that could get the whole result invalidated (and in this case potentially overturned to a 3-0 win because Tunisia didn't come back out later) wouldn't make his paymasters happy if he has them.

The scorelines aren't helping to make the AFCON tournament enticing either. It's a shame, I want that tournament to succeed, but a good start would be for it to not happen during the season (I know they were forced to postpone it last year cause of Covid).

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It's a bizarre way to go about it if it is corruption. Like obviously match-fixers aren't always necessarily the most subtle of people but you have to have some level of plausible deniability. If a 1-0 win for Mali is what he was aiming to achieve, it was odd to give a soft penalty to Tunisia and to send a Malian player off after the first attempt to end the game, and ending it in a manner that could get the whole result invalidated (and in this case potentially overturned to a 3-0 win because Tunisia didn't come back out later) wouldn't make his paymasters happy if he has them.

Alright then, what's your explanation? You trying to tell me the ref didn't know a football match lasts 90 minutes?

The ref could have fucked up and forgotten to restart his stopwatch at some point, and was guessing at when the 90 minutes was based on the kick off time? I agree with PG - there are much better (and more obvious) ways to go about being corrupt as a ref. The dude is probably just a numpty.

Have we loaned AFCON Jon Moss by any chance?

Can't really blame anyone for thinking that something fishy was going on. Once can be put down to a fuck up but this ref blew the final whistle before the 90 minute mark twice (first time at 85 minutes and then again at 89 minutes). It's also not the first time that this ref has been at the centre of a shit show - he was suspended a few years ago on allegations of corruption after his farcical display in a CAF champions league game (was later cleared of the corruption charges by Fifa). So while it may not be corruption, this ref has a history of gross incompetence at the very least and has no business officiating at this level.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Or did an Ahlenfelder. I am too lazy to explain that reference. Just google it, you can thank me later.

32 mins is magnificently bad timekeeping.

Pissed referees should definitely become a thing. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Can't really blame anyone for thinking that something fishy was going on. Once can be put down to a fuck up but this ref blew the final whistle before the 90 minute mark twice (first time at 85 minutes and then again at 89 minutes). It's also not the first time that this ref has been at the centre of a shit show - he was suspended a few years ago on allegations of corruption after his farcical display in a CAF champions league game (was later cleared of the corruption charges by Fifa). So while it may not be corruption, this ref has a history of gross incompetence at the very least and has no business officiating at this level.

Well if FIFA cleared him then there's obviously nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

Archived