Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Honestly, this whole Everton thing is starting to look like top work by Agent Rafa.

Don't really want to go there ... I'll be on my way down a rabbit hole faster than you can say "clueless" if I did

To be clear, don't think it's needed:

1) I don't think Rafa tries to sabotage the team on purpose

2) His tenure hasn't been a success, and that is among other things down to Rafa not yet managing to show he's the man for the job. Given the preconditions here, that is a real problem. 

As far as the Digne situation goes- Rafa was asking him to play defensively, and obviously hasn't been getting results, but for a player to openly criticise/attack the manager in front of the team... I'd back the manager every time.

Of course, it's easy for me to think/say that when Liverpool's manager is Klopp, but you really don't want players like that in your squad.

I'd be a lot happier if I could see evidence of Rafa actually managing to make a functioning defense. Right now, we're playing a lot more defensively that we have for ages, while letting in goals by the bucketload. 

Which is the problem Rafa faces. He didn't arrive with goodwill from a lot of fans (think Roy Hodgson), and he's currently on a losing streak a la Martinez/Koeman while fielding a defensively skewed team that can't defend. 

If he wants to show himself to actually have a place in the club, he'll have to produce something akin to results. And soon.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I would say that my support of a manager in a situation like that with Digne would be independent of my general support, or lack thereof, of them. Even if I were desperate to get rid of them, I wouldn't want sillyarse players trying to throw their weight around in the dressing room.

21 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Fabinho having another dodgy game. He's been quite off his game for a while now, so hopefully he can get back to normal soon.

He’s looked slow and low on energy in every game since he had COVID.  Similar to Trent last year (who just had COVID again, great!).  And Henderson has been dire for a few weeks now.

Accumulated fatigue is really affecting the MF now.  And I think we’re not fully acknowledging how COVID affects players energy levels for a few months.  There was a good data study in The Economist on the performance levels of pro football players across the major European leagues as they returned after COVID.  I linked it in the COVID thread in GenChat.

Plus side of the Digne deal, when I try to be positive, is that we have a chance at solving a persistent problem (right back) and having replaced a player perhaps near his peak with a younger version. So if (big if, that) Mykolenko and Patterson both work out, we have long-term solutions on both backs. Coleman has been great, but he's injured part of every season and he's also in decline, unfortunately.

The title race was looking interesting for awhile with City, Chelsea and Liverpool all in it, but it looks like it's just gonna get boring now as if City win this they'll run away with it again.

Just shows what a massive achievement it was for Liverpool to win the league over a team with the money to assemble a squad like this.

FFS.

Salvaged a point (90+3 equalizer) against a relegation battler. 

Point one (late equalizer) or points dropped (home game against a team in the relegation zone, while being top of the league). Can't really decide what to do with that result.

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

The title race was looking interesting for awhile with City, Chelsea and Liverpool all in it, but it looks like it's just gonna get boring now as if City win this they'll run away with it again.

Just shows what a massive achievement it was for Liverpool to win the league over a team with the money to assemble a squad like this.

I think it's clear that City is just a step better than everyone else. Chelsea could barely hold possession of the ball against them, and that's normally what they do to everyone else.  

Dear gods, Rafa is useless.

The only argument not to sack him right now (as in this second) is that we've changed managers a lot lately, and stability may be good. Otherwise, all signs post to "don't let him get on the bus home". 

Archived