Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

It's amazing how much better Bruno is when we're playing to get the best out of our best player and not Ronaldo.

Elanga's been tidy today, got a very good appreciation of the space around him.

eta: I've seen that Chukwuemeka come on a few times and he seems to be a real player, though obviously Countinho was the main man there.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I guess this kind of thing will happen a few more times until United can get their players fit enough to play with higher intensity for whole games, which probably won't be until next season.

Yes, but also get someone able to hold the DCM position properly. We're very soft to drives down the middle and against a team with Ramsey in it that was always gonna be a problem if they could get him into the game, which they emphatically did second half. 

Matic just doesn't have the legs for this anymore.

32 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Can't say it's not deserved. Bit of a bummer we'd have to send a left back to Villa and our DoF packing before it happened though.

ETA: I think I saw somewhere we've taken 5 points since September. That's just insanely bad. 

Benitez is like Mourinho in that he started off a highly rated manager but has had a massive fall from grace. Guess that's the end of him being taken seriously for any high-level jobs.

Too early for speculation (heck, we've not officially sacked Rafa), but I now see speculation about a Rooney/Ferguson duo on some fan sites ...

We'll be carrying a punch, at least, if so. Footballwise, it seems ... risky.

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

Benitez is like Mourinho in that he started off a highly rated manager but has had a massive fall from grace. Guess that's the end of him being taken seriously for any high-level jobs.

He did a good job at Newcastle like two years ago. His style of management is probably a bit behind the times for the very top end of the game and obviously it hasn't gone well at Everton but I'd suggest there's a hell of a lot more wrong than just the manager there.

There seems to be a lot wrong at Everton, that's true. Moshiri seems not to know what direction he wants for the club, other than "success". The appointment of Benitez shows this in a way - he arrives with no transfer budget and inherits a team that isn't at all built for his style. 

There are clear weaknesses in the squad that it will take time to rectify, too. Arguably we lack at least one good CB, an orchestrator in the middle and an idea how to use our wingers.

The board we don't see at all - so I can't really say they're doing a job. Who knows. 

That said, Benitez hasn't done a decent job with what he inherited either. You'd expect him to manage something - organize a defense, have a plan, manage to create chances, motivate the team, whatever .. he has failed utterly. And six points since September is quite simply Not Good Enough unless you manage already relegated Derby County.

21 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

unless you manage already relegated Derby County.

Rooney is actually doing a very good job at Derby under dire circumstances. Even with the 21 point deduction they aren't quite dead and buried yet. There's a bit of a gap between them and safety but they are playing far better football and are in much better form than the teams around them. It's a longshot but not inconceivable that they could make up the ~8-10 point gap and get themselves out of the relegation zone.

2 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

There seems to be a lot wrong at Everton, that's true. Moshiri seems not to know what direction he wants for the club, other than "success". The appointment of Benitez shows this in a way - he arrives with no transfer budget and inherits a team that isn't at all built for his style. 

There are clear weaknesses in the squad that it will take time to rectify, too. Arguably we lack at least one good CB, an orchestrator in the middle and an idea how to use our wingers.

The board we don't see at all - so I can't really say they're doing a job. Who knows. 

That said, Benitez hasn't done a decent job with what he inherited either. You'd expect him to manage something - organize a defense, have a plan, manage to create chances, motivate the team, whatever .. he has failed utterly. And six points since September is quite simply Not Good Enough unless you manage already relegated Derby County.

Hiring Benitez without a plan to provide him with the players for the system he favors is a pretty dim move.   Everton supporters deserve better than that, and so does Benitez.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Hiring Benitez without a plan to provide him with the players for the system he favors is a pretty dim move.   Everton supporters deserve better than that, and so does Benitez.

It was, in hindsight even more so. 

For me, I also cannot fathom what Benitez thought he could be doing with what was available to him either, but I guess self-belief is needed if you want to be a manager at the top level.

Also, I'm reading this, and I know it's mostly speculation, but still ..

Duncan Ferguson, who took temporary charge following Marco Silva’s dismissal, former manager Roberto Martínez – who was sacked by Moshiri in 2016 – former Granada coach Diego Martínez, José Mourinho, Niko Kovac and Wayne Rooney may all be considered by Everton’s erratic owner.

If that's a shortlist, I'd say I'd have to learn about Diego Martinez, but apart from that it's a firm no on everyone but Rooney.

From here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/16/rafael-benitez-sacked-by-everton-six-months-into-job-after-defeat-at-norwich

Liverpool’s win today felt like a return to normal service, even without Salah or Mane (or Thiago or Keita).  But even if they sustain that form for the rest of the season (very doubtful), their league challenge is already over because of their dropped points over the prior four games (three draws and a loss).  That has been the PL reality over the past 5 years since City’s financial doping came to fruition.

It’s a sad state for Rafa and for Everton.  I couldn’t see anything positive he generated for them this season, and somehow they’ve gone badly backward as a club since they were bought by a billionaire who wanted to fund their success.

Archived