Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

Italy, Spain and Germany should up there, because they have probably the best coaches, besides great teams. Though, of course, Italy has to qualify first.

Brazil doesn't look like they have a prayer, but mind you, they didn't look like at that stage the last two times they won either (achieving qualification in the final game the two times).

But after Greece 2004, I learned to never say never to anyone in these fast knock-out tournaments.

So Belgium seems for now to save us the so-boneheaded-it-couldn't-even-come-from-Trump idea of Martinez, and it then seems our options are Derby managers. Lampard doesn't seem a good fit, so just on strength of local connections and not being Frank, I'd take Rooney of those two. Given a choice.

What I really want, though, is a transfer of the entire board.

On the other hand, if Derby are in the financial straits I believe they are, Rooney might just be happy enough to work for an employer where he doesn't have to wonder if the monthly salary cheque will clear. 

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

And if any of the Harrys are horribly out of form, England are completely fucked as Southgate is going to play them anyway.

The best England teams always have 'Bobby's' and lots of people from the North East. Without either of those this time round, I don't hold out much hope. 

2 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Less of a risk for Rooney to stay at Derby, to be sure. So if we approach him and he accepts, I'd imagine 1) PL and 2) well, it's Everton would be our selling points.

If it's enough is anyone's guess at this point.

This is like Lampard getting offered the Chelsea job too early in his career.  It’s probably a poisoned chalice because he doesn’t yet have the experience or reputation to take command of the situation, but perhaps he cannot pass up this opportunity: a multi-year contract on PL wages plus a visible opportunity to show he can manage in the PL, and they’re so bad that almost anything would look like an improvement.

I cannot imagine who else will be offering Rooney a PL managerial role in a well-financed large club who should be competing for the outer European spots, plus lots of fan goodwill.  

18 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

England and France were also the favorites to win the Euros...

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

England do have a lot of good players, but they're a bit short on quality at centre back, centre forward and manager, so I wouldn't put them at the top of any lists. All of the top teams should put us away handily.

And if any of the Harrys are horribly out of form, England are completely fucked as Southgate is going to play them anyway.

That was my reaction too.  I would have mentioned Italy, France, Spain and Germany before England.  Maybe even Brazil.  They all have weaknesses and problems for sure, but so do England.  Despite England’s glut of young talent they struggle to score from open play against any decent side and some of their undroppable players are in terrible club form.

21 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I cannot imagine who else will be offering Rooney a PL managerial role in a well-financed large club who should be competing for the outer European spots, plus lots of fan goodwill.  

Give the Manchester United board another couple of months.

It's funnier to me than it should be that Brighton have apparently spent all game doing lovely passing football dominance but the way they score is by sticking a corner into the mixer. I mean I hope they go on to win and they are still overachieving to a point but there's something that Potter just cannot get quite right there. 

20 hours ago, mormont said:

On the other hand, if Derby are in the financial straits I believe they are, Rooney might just be happy enough to work for an employer where he doesn't have to wonder if the monthly salary cheque will clear. 

Just picking this up to note that it seems the EFL are concerned Derby don't have the money to finish out the season. If that's the case, Rooney would be mad not to take the Everton job if it's offered.

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/january/efl-statement-derby-county/

18 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

This is like Lampard getting offered the Chelsea job too early in his career.  It’s probably a poisoned chalice because he doesn’t yet have the experience or reputation to take command of the situation, but perhaps he cannot pass up this opportunity: a multi-year contract on PL wages plus a visible opportunity to show he can manage in the PL, and they’re so bad that almost anything would look like an improvement.

Everton is probably decissively less pressure for him than for Lampard at Chelsea. Everton are not anywhere near top four + material. So way less expectation for Rooney to get results. If it wasn't for the CL title, knives might have been out for Tuchel already. Rooney at United, that would be an entirely different story. But a midtable EPL team that would probably be not totally out of his league. 

Archived