Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

Dodgy penalty for ‘Pool, although we had held on for a 2-1 win even without it.  And unfortunately we were hanging on for most of that second half.  We’ve obviously tilted our tactical shape this year to be more attacking and just accept the risk.  It was the same last season until we lost all our senior CBs and had to protect the stand-ins.  Considering how many times we’ve given up two-goal leads this season, I’d prefer to see us switch gears and tactics when we have that kind of cushion.  But we only seem capable of that when Thiago is on the field.

Matip’s form has been declining recently after a very good first half of the season.  Hopefully it’s just fatigue and he’ll benefit from some rest.  Or else Konate needs to play some more, even if he does get caught out of position more than he should (not quite Lovren-esque but he needs to tighten that part of his game).  And VVD has been well below his pre-injury level all season.  I hope it’s just the gradual recovery after such a long absence but it may be that Pickford’s assault has diminished the remainder of his career. It makes me think of John Barnes never fully recovering from his bad injury.

Our African players will return next.  Let’s see how fit or fresh they are.  Keita got two MotM awards in his first three games (suspended for the fourth after picking up two bookings) — it’d be nice to see him bring some of that back to Anfield.

I was just reading Vieira's reaction, and what stood out to me wasn't the "penalty", but that VAR said Firmino was offside for the second goal, but "not interfering with play".

Now, you need to be next level stupid to think so. Ball goes just over his head, but there is something called a defender following him - who wouldn't pick that route if Firmino isn't there. So if that's correct, Liverpool were gifted a win by VAR.

59 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Chelsea also very lucky that Kane's goal was disallowed - what a horseshit decision. Thiago conned the ref and the VAR protected his buddy.

Kane won the ball by shoving Silva in the back. Sure Silva sold it by easily falling down, but it was still the correct call. And it got balanced out by the referee forgetting about his decision and ignoring more egregious moments later in the game, like Skipp wrestling Azpilicueta to the ground in the box.

But Lukaku has been rubbish and it seems Chelsea are content with using him as the boogeyman to scare defenses in having two defenders on him while Mount, Ziyech and others do their thing and score goals.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Kane won the ball by shoving Silva in the back. Sure Silva sold it by easily falling down, but it was still the correct call.

That was not a shove. He barely touched him yet Silva went flopping like a landed fish. Embarrassing. And even more embarrassing was VAR not awarding the goal.

Archived