Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

So, who's your favorite to get that 4th spot as it stands?

United have arguably the best squad, but they also are the only side still playing in an European competition. Plus, they will play City & Pool away, and they are likely to drop points again smaller sides anyway (low-defensive blocks especially).

Tottenham have looked improved under Conte, and they have some games in hands. But they look very reliant on a few player's form, and have a thinner squad.

I don't know what to expect from West Ham and Arsenal. Both have had very good runs but both have showed that they can display awful performances, especially against the Big 6 / 8.

Spurs are favourites. They have by far the best manager out of the teams chasing 4th place, games in hand and no European football to contend with which will make it easier to make up their games in hand without clogging up their fixture list. United have the best squad out of those teams on paper but our squad is also rotten with too many crybabies who like to leak shit to the press and just check out of games when the going gets tough. Arsenal are playing well right now but do have a weaker squad than Spurs or United and much like with United under Solskjaer, I have the feeling that their bust cycle could hit at any moment. I think West Ham will finish below United, Spurs and Arsenal.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Consigliere will see me as unreasonably optimistic but I think we'll get third and Chelsea will get fourth (though I can see Spurs holding it together enough).

No way, you'll get third. You catching Chelsea is about as likely as Liverpool catching City. Not happening.

You are in the race for fourth. 

In other news, I am sorta surprised Newcastle (or anybody else in need) has not asked Liverpool about a Gomez loan. He seems to have fallen off the pecking order completely atm. He isn't that old, and has shown he can be very good. 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No way, you'll get third. You catching Chelsea is about as likely as Liverpool catching City. Not happening.

The difference between City and Liverpool if 'pool win their game in hand is still six points and City are broadly, despite the last game, in much better form than Liverpool. And I still wouldn't totally write Liverpool off. The difference between us and Chelsea if we win our games in hand- which is doable- is three points and Chelsea have won three of their last ten games (we've won six of ours). 

36 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That was quick. How long was he there?

By Watford's standards, an Age of the Earth.

Not sure what he is going to be doing differently to the Tinkerman. I'm assuming he will set up Watford in a 442 low block and go direct. I know the Watford owners like to chop and change, but this feels a little like for like. Will Woy get the team playing any better than Ranieri? Debatable.

8 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Is it? He still has a reasonable reputation, but I don't think he got any more out of that Palace squad than you'd expect.

Towards the end, that's fair. It wasn't clear to me whether that was because Hodgson had reached the end of his natural cycle, having taken them as far as he could, or whether he was now in decline as a manager. We'll find out, I guess. And I'm assuming that (given his age and how long managers at Watford typically last) everyone involved understands that this is a short term fix. 

8 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I can't see him saving them.

It'll be a tough ask, for sure. 

I'm not saying that Hodgson is an absolutely top drawer appointment, but given that Watford are in relegation trouble, have a habit of firing managers and have owners who tend to interfere, the top drawer was not an option: and given that Hodgson has experience in getting clubs out of relegation battles, it seems a decent fit.

True, Watford have burnt through so many managers that their options are severely reduced. They could certainly do worse than Hodgson, as Everton will probably show us in a week or two...

I think I read that his contract will run to the end of the season, which isn't all that long, but still pretty ambitious for a Watford manager!

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Is it? He still has a reasonable reputation, but I don't think he got any more out of that Palace squad than you'd expect. I can't see him saving them.

From his point of view though, yeah, it gets him out of the house.

Yeah, any Watford fans who have witnessed the contrast between Hodgson's soul-crushingly tedious Jurassic tactics at Palace over the past five years, and what Vieira is now serving up, will not be happy. 

Auba not travelling to Dubai with almost every other employee of the club. What does this mean? Is an outgoing deal imminent, or has he simply destroyed his relationship with Arteta to such an extent that he is now persona non grata?

I really hope it's the former.

Archived