Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

Yep, City are on a leisurely stroll to defend their title.

Chelsea was basically the last game to get something remotely related to suspense back into it. Since City won that match more easily than the 1-0 score line suggests, it's really sleep walking to the title for Pep. Next stop summer wndow to bring in a new striker, defend the title and chase that elusive CL title. Good thing that Fraudiola was finally found out in the EPL.

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

...It’s a sad state for Rafa and for Everton.  I couldn’t see anything positive he generated for them this season, and somehow they’ve gone badly backward as a club since they were bought by a billionaire who wanted to fund their success.

It's an old saw, but still completely true:  You can't buy common sense.

22 hours ago, Consigliere said:

It's a longshot but not inconceivable that they could make up the ~8-10 point gap and get themselves out of the relegation zone.

Aye. And, considering the overall state of Derby County FC, if he manages to pull it off it will have to go down as one of the greatest achievements in football.

20 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So what about those rumors, that Rangnick wants Haidara (Leipzig), but the board vetoeing him.

I mean Haidara or Samassekou (Hoffenhheim) are the kinda players you kinda need/want.

Haven't seen these rumours. Probably coming from unreliable hacks. What I have read is that Leipzig do not want to sell Haidara during this window and his release clause only becomes active at the end of the season.

Also, from what I've seen of Haidara, he looks to be much better when played as an 8 so it might be better to wait until the end of the season when Pogba leaves to make a move for him or Kessie. DM is the position United really need right now instead of trying to shoehorn another #8 into the DM role.

Nah, Qatar is realistically the last chance for their golden generation to actually win it. They are not heavy favorites with or without Martinez. Eden Hazard has been wank ever since he left that famers league for Spain. A few of their promising younger talents are not on a WC winning level, yet. KDB is 30 now, so in his prime. In four years, he will be, well four years older.

I just don't see Belgium winning it, even without the Martinez handycap 

England and France are as of right now the two favorites to win it. 

Belgium are among the teams in the next tier could win it, if things really go their way. 

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I just don't see Belgium winning it, even without the Martinez handycap 

England and France are as of right now the two favorites to win it. 

Belgium are among the teams in the next tier could win it, if things really go their way. 

England and France were also the favorites to win the Euros...

Yep, and with good reason. Those two nations have right now the biggest talent pool to pick from.

England came very close to winning it afterall. And if I were forced to bet on a team, they'd be it right now.

Which would be your pick?

Surely Belgium's golden generation are basically long gone. There was a period a few years ago when you looked at the best and most exciting players in the prem and they all turned out to be from Belgium. It was kinda funny at the time. Such an intimidating bunch of players. 

Now, outside of De Bruyne, they are pretty much a team of mid table prem players. Dendonker? Trossard? Origi!?

Hard to say if they were wasted under Martinez, he got some good results out of them occasionally, but it does feel like their time is done.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Now, outside of De Bruyne, they are pretty much a team of mid table prem players. Dendonker? Trossard? Origi!?

Mmmm...Lukaku? :blushing:

I agree btw. I don't think they are in the first bracket of favourites to win. Probably in the second. But their playing doesn't suggest they can make up for their deficiencies.

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yep, and with good reason. Those two nations have right now the biggest talent pool to pick from.

England came very close to winning it afterall. And if I were forced to bet on a team, they'd be it right now.

Which would be your pick?

I would put Italy and Germany in there as favorites, they both have fantastic coaches.

England do have a lot of good players, but they're a bit short on quality at centre back, centre forward and manager, so I wouldn't put them at the top of any lists. All of the top teams should put us away handily.

And if any of the Harrys are horribly out of form, England are completely fucked as Southgate is going to play them anyway.

Archived