Football: Rangnick past me again

polishgenius

It was only a minor improvement overall. We were diabolical in the first half and Brentford should have gone into halftime two or three goals up. We were much better in the second half and that's because we had less of the ball and could sit a little deeper and counterattack. The biggest issue with United is that this team is completely and utterly useless in possession and there has been zero improvement on that front. The difference between the two sides was De Gea and our forwards being more clinical.

Hmmm...

Prior to the postponed Chupacabra Cup semi-final, Liverpool players returned a whole bunch of negative lateral flow tests. For some reason, they then decided to get everyone PCR tested.

However, The Athletic has reported that they requested postponement of the first leg before they knew the results of these PCR tests.

Sound weird? A little bit fishy?

Oh, what's this now.....?

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Hmmm...

Prior to the postponed Chupacabra Cup semi-final, Liverpool players returned a whole bunch of negative lateral flow tests. For some reason, they then decided to get everyone PCR tested.

However, The Athletic has reported that they requested postponement of the first leg before they knew the results of these PCR tests.

I have to say that the rush for the fainting couches over our request to postpone one match has been nothing short of hilarious. 

17 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Hmmm...

More paranoid horseshit. You do understand that people using contacts to secure deals is and always has been a thing, right?

And do you honestly believe that a company would completely torpedo its reputation just to fiddle something for one of its customers?

Not to mention that it makes no sense that we'd look to avoid playing the game in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win the cup, but the club don't prioritise it. Salah and Mane likely wouldn't have played even if they were around.

9 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

More paranoid horseshit. You do understand that people using contacts to secure deals is and always has been a thing, right?

And do you honestly believe that a company would completely torpedo its reputation just to fiddle something for one of its customers?

Not to mention that it makes no sense that we'd look to avoid playing the game in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win the cup, but the club don't prioritise it. Salah and Mane likely wouldn't have played even if they were around.

Yes, and yes. History is littered with the corpses of idiots and morons.

As for why they might have got the game cancelled when they could have played it, take it up with The Athletic.

I'm no expert but I'd say that there is some sort of government licences which lab can conduct these tests, what conditions they must meet and all that. I really doubt that Kenny Dalglish's daughter really has enough pull in this lab to risk this lab losing it's certification or license for testing or whatever. Still, it is conspiracy theories fodder and sports fans are a bunch that's pretty likely to believe in other clubs doing sketchy stuff.

We can all agree that conditions for match postponement really should've been better defined at the start of the season (or before). Since they haven't been, it is to be expected that clubs would look for loopholes and some way of fighting that is required.

I can't remember which manager asked that only players that would've been available for match when it was initially scheduled should be eligible when the match finally takes place. That would be an interesting solution, since players signed later would not be eligible, but how do you handle when the player leaves the club? You can't recall them from their new club to play in that match. How would youth players count? A month or two or three can make quite a difference for young player's development. How would players away on international duties (AFCON) count? Would they be eligible to play or not?

Whatever solution the league goes for it will open a whole other can of worms.

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yes, and yes. History is littered with the corpses of idiots and morons.

As for why they might have got the game cancelled when they could have played it, take it up with The Athletic.

Did you read the Athletic article? It concluded that Liverpool did nothing wrong.

All it would take is one Everton suppporter, or one United fan etc. at the company, and everything would be leaked - any dodgy goings on would have been a huge risk (and again would make zero sense given that Kenny's daughter is just a commercial manager), so it's extremely unlikely that's the case. Immediately leaping to the most far-fetched conclusion is just silly.

29 minutes ago, baxus said:

I'm no expert but I'd say that there is some sort of government licences which lab can conduct these tests, what conditions they must meet and all that. I really doubt that Kenny Dalglish's daughter really has enough pull in this lab to risk this lab losing it's certification or license for testing or whatever. Still, it is conspiracy theories fodder and sports fans are a bunch that's pretty likely to believe in other clubs doing sketchy stuff.

First of all, have you not been paying attention to the absolute shit show of nepotism and corruption currently on display in this country?

And, secondly, no, it's not conspiracy theory fodder. Here are some verifiable facts:

Fact 1: Prior to the semi-final, Liverpool FC ran a bunch of lateral flow tests on their players. Every single one came back negative.

Fact 2: For some reason, Liverpool FC then decided to conduct a round of what appeared to be completely unnecessary PCR tests.

Fact 3: Liverpool FC requested postponement of the match before they knew the results of these PCR tests.

Fact 4: Positive PCR tests were returned for 13 Liverpool players. These positives were later deemed as 'false'. (btw, Solyent, there's your horseshit).

Fact 5: Kenny Dalgish's daughter was in charge of the dodgy PCR testing process.

11 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Did you read the Athletic article? It concluded that Liverpool did nothing wrong.

Where does it say that?

Or is this what you are referring to?

It remains the EFL’s firm belief that they reached the correct decision and that Liverpool had done everything correctly.

Because this is the final paragraph from that article:

But, at a time when suspicion around fixture postponements in football has never been higher, Liverpool and others did not heed that advice. Transparency was in short supply from the moment Liverpool first contacted the EFL, leading to a fixture being postponed that did not need to be, with players left frustrated and supporters kept in the dark. 

So, no they most definitely did not conclude that Liverpool did nothing wrong.

19 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

First of all, have you not been paying attention to the absolute shit show of nepotism and corruption currently on display in this country?

And, secondly, no, it's not conspiracy theory fodder. Here are some verifiable facts:

Fact 1: Prior to the semi-final, Liverpool FC ran a bunch of lateral flow tests on their players. Every single one came back negative.

Fact 2: For some reason, Liverpool FC then decided to conduct a round of what appeared to be completely unnecessary PCR tests.

Fact 3: Liverpool FC requested postponement of the match before they knew the results of these PCR tests.

Fact 4: Positive PCR tests were returned for 13 Liverpool players. These positives were later deemed as 'false'. (btw, Solyent, there's your horseshit).

Fact 5: Kenny Dalgish's daughter was in charge of the dodgy PCR testing process.

1. Given that TAA did have covid, this seems to be not quite right.

2. Liverpool had just had 3 positive (and confirmed) cases in the squad, not including TAA, and were worried about there being more, so decided to do more testing. I can understand why this was done.

3. I assume this was a continuation of the concern driving 2. There's certainly an argument that clubs shouldn't make requests based on presumptions, so it seems reasonable to grumble about this one.

4. The company, who got the testing contract because their commercial manager had the right contracts, were perhaps stretched or whatever and fucked up the tests - this is a much more likely reason for the positive tests, rather than there being some secret lizard-people based plot against Arsenal.

5. You think a commercial manager is in charge of testing?

I think a commercial manager who is the daughter of one of Liverpool's greatest ever players has power, yes. Enough to influence a situation like this? Perhaps.

Anyway, whatever. You lot are getting schoooooled tonight.  :D My big team who win don't win things are gonna batter my big team who do win things.

Wouldn't think too much of it right now tbh.

23 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Liverpool had some corona outbreaks (like the rest of the league). So I can see them reasoning, that they wanted to be double safe and thus wanted the more thorough PCR tests to detect any possible virus carriers and put an end to that chain of transmissions within the team instead of having to deal with 3 different infections every other week. 

The tests were conducted by a firm that employs Dalglish's daughter, so what? Also it's raining, today. Linking that bit of trivia to that testing farce doesn't strike me as particularly great bit of journalism, unless they have evidence she tampered with the tests.

Timing of the postponement request. I'd imagine the club could've gotten an informal phone call that they had a bunch of positives, before they had the results confirmed. And Liverpool acted on that. At least that would be my guess.

However what is indeed weird, is the number of false positives. That doesn't strike me as statistically probable, Either they hit a batch of bad testing kits, or the Lab is not that great. In which case, I'd assume they'd go shopping for another testing firm.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The tests were conducted by a firm that employs Dalglish's daughter, so what? Also it's raining, today. Linking that bit of trivia to that testing farce doesn't strike me as particularly great bit of journalism, unless they have evidence she tampered with the tests.

Tbf, The Athletic article does not mention Lynsey Dalglish at all. Seems it's just a twitter conspiracy that has decided a commercial manager was somehow running lab tests.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

However what is indeed weird, is the number of false positives. That doesn't strike me as statistically probable, Either they hit a batch of bad testing kits, or the Lab is not that great. In which case, I'd assume they'd go shopping for another testing firm.

Those tests were discounted as they were found to be erroneous. What happened was Liverpool had a round of lateral flow tests come back negative. But the club was worried about a second outbreak so ordered a round of PCR tests (it was not strictly necessary to do so). Prenetic, the company that does testing for the PL, took samples as did BioGrad (Liverpool among other PL clubs have taken to contracting independent labs as they feel that Prenetic takes too long). BioGrad came back with 13 positives while Prenetic came back with none. The advice from the local public health authority was that a negative test does not override a positive one. At that point Matt Ashton, director of public health in Liverpool, gave the order to shut down Liverpool's training ground for 48 hours. A 3rd round of PCR testing was then done which came back negative.

4 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Yesterday game showed a real improvement on two struggles we've had this season: our transitions between defending and attacking, and how we move the ball through midfield. McTominay had an excellent game, hopefully his injury isn't too bad?

I think the main thing Ragnick has done here so far is start to figure out how best to use McFred. Like I never thought they were as bad as made out, but in trying to have them be two players doing the same job to try to cover for each other's weaknesses, they played to none of their strengths and just became equally poor at the job that needed to be done in terms of ball progression. Now what's happening is Ragnick has separated their roles, so Fred essentially covers the width of the pitch in the middle third, making himself the available out when we're playing down the wings and occasionally pulling off passes like last night's assist, whereas McTominay covers the length of the pitch down the center, focusing more on his driving runs since he'll never be much of a passer. We can obviously still improve on both but it's a much better use of their abilities. McTominay can wreck things and hustle, and Fred has more time to find a pass and because he's going to both sides now, we're not stuck with a situation where only one fullback has midfield support.

Also: the play is being centered through Bruno again and that makes a difference. 

It is a bad worry that we can only do it for one half at a time, though. Good in the first half against Villa and the second half here, absolutely dreadful in the opposite half of each game. 

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Tbf, The Athletic article does not mention Lynsey Dalglish at all. Seems it's just a twitter conspiracy that has decided a commercial manager was somehow running lab tests.

Those tests were discounted as they were found to be erroneous. What happened was Liverpool had a round of lateral flow tests come back negative. But the club was worried about a second outbreak so ordered a round of PCR tests (it was not strictly necessary to do so). Prenetic, the company that does testing for the PL, took samples as did BioGrad (Liverpool among other PL clubs have taken to contracting independent labs as they feel that Prenetic takes too long). BioGrad came back with 13 positives while Prenetic came back with none. The advice from the local public health authority was that a negative test does not override a positive one. At that point Matt Ashton, director of public health in Liverpool, gave the order to shut down Liverpool's training ground for 48 hours. A 3rd round of PCR testing was then done which came back negative.

Thanks, so awardin the job to Lynsey Dalglish's employer was the mistake Liverpool made, as they apparently messed up the PCR tests.

Reports that Newcastle are close to reaching an agreement with United for Lingard. Fee expected to be in the region of £12m.

eta. Luke Edwards now reporting that a permanent deal for Lingard is off as the player does not want to join Newcastle on a permanent deal. Open to a 6 month loan but wants to keep his options open after that.

Archived