Videogames: New Year, New Thread

Poobah

I like shield in Hades but not sure how to play it. I want to play by sitting on block and then throwing out some specials but damage is really slow. Last run I tried a run around dash strike and the double hit hammer but I just got killed way too fast even if my damage was up. I don’t have any titans bloodstone buy aspects either.

20 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I second the HZD love. Horizon Forbidden West can’t come soon enough. Although I’m a little worried that the backstory likely won’t match the first one because most of the mystery of what actually happened is gone. 

Also seeing the teaser for a VR game in this world has me excited, even know I have an Oculus and basically never use it. And of course I’ll have to buy another VR system whenever the PS5 one drops.

Echo everything here.  HZD is probably a top 10 game of all time for me, and probably the best overall game I played on PS4.  I was late to the party with it, but damn does it have one of the best gaming stories of all time.  The combat is also surprisingly deep.  Hopeful for HFW, but it's gonna be a hard act to follow.

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

Just cleared Hades again using Kal's Ares/Artemis cast build. That was fun. I also had Chiron bow, Aphrodite attack, Artemis special, Hangover on dash so had lots of interesting legendaries/duos. I made the one mistake of getting triple shot cause I had never gotten it before and that really ruined my Chiron playstyle.

I have only gotten that duo boon once and it was super fun.  It was when I first started playing the game and had no real idea on what I was doing, but I made it to Styx with it.  Will have to try it again soon.

I got two more clears yesterday.  First was with the Nemesis sword with an Ares/Athena Merciful End build.  Finally got the Athena dash and a bunch of boons to help out reflect, plus got lucky with a couple extra death revivals.  Stayed on Hades ass and had a pretty easy time of it.  This was after doing a similar build with fists and getting really close to taking him down with those.

Second clear was with a Dionysus/Ares bow build, the bow where you can get all your special arrows to go to one guy.  The main difference with how I approached this particular run was that I prioritized life, dodging, and removing damage over extra damage.  I think I only used 2 poms the entire time and it was one of my easier clears (nothing beats my Zeus/Poseidon spear build).  I think I've been engrained via almost every other game to take damage over vitality that I didn't think this particular strategy would be helpful, and boy was I wrong with that.  I'm going to use this strategy for a few more runs and see if it holds up.  Only have fists and the rail left, then it's time to bring the heat.  On base difficulty and a few successful runs under my belt, dying before Styx is now pretty rare

13 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

I like shield in Hades but not sure how to play it. I want to play by sitting on block and then throwing out some specials but damage is really slow. Last run I tried a run around dash strike and the double hit hammer but I just got killed way too fast even if my damage was up. I don’t have any titans bloodstone buy aspects either.

I did a Merciful End build that was super successful.  Start with Ares and get doom on special, Hammer that adds more hits/bounces to your special, Athena on Attack, Merciful End duo boon, Athena either on dash or call (or both).  Poseidon on dash is good too.  If you get any other boons, throw them on cast if you can't choose a different one.  You can pretty much spam your special and everything just doom dies.

Could probably do something similar with a Zeus/Poseidon build.  Poseidon on special, Zeus on attack, get their duo boon and just spam special.  Then just keep adding more and more Zeus for extra damage.

Mmh... I guess I am still in something of a pickle in regards to my animal pen in Rimworld. I thought I'm being clever putting up a little barn with a campfire and growing daylillies inside, since those apparently only need a small amount of light anymore. I also put in an animal flap, thinking my boars will then be able to just go in and out and they do. But they don't eat the daylillies even if they are starving, so I was forced to sacrifice some of my normal food to feed them.

I guess my plan to turn my base into a big ranch, taming the alpacas and horses on the map for wool and as pack animals, will get a little more complicated thanks to this.

33 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

It's been a long time since I played but the triangle move throws it right? Go heavy zeus

Sure that is good for area damage (both Zeus and Ares) but aoe isn’t my concern with shield. Single hit doom or thunder attacks on special doesn’t cut it against bosses. My main problem is with bosses and how to turn that special into single target damage. Like I was saying the best solution I’ve found for single target damage is sitting on block and attacking when available. I think my first act three clear was with that and the hammer that turns attack into a pierce bow shot so I turned the shield into a defendable bow. 

35 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Sure that is good for area damage (both Zeus and Ares) but aoe isn’t my concern with shield. Single hit doom or thunder attacks on special doesn’t cut it against bosses. My main problem is with bosses and how to turn that special into single target damage. Like I was saying the best solution I’ve found for single target damage is sitting on block and attacking when available. I think my first act three clear was with that and the hammer that turns attack into a pierce bow shot so I turned the shield into a defendable bow. 

If you're boosting doom, you're going to get 150-200 damage per drop to start.  If you've got merciful end, reflect drops doom immediately.  Supplement with cast and the mirror boost that increases damage when casts are in an enemy for even more damage.  Artemis can also make some of those drops crits.  If you've got Dionysus or Aphrodite you can take advantage of the 40% damage when two status' are present - more doom damage.  Impending doom at that point is great because you're getting a free 60% boost if you can trigger reflect w/ your attack/dash/call.  Some of those doom hits are going to go for 1000-1500 damage.  This build works for almost any weapon.

Or you could try the Dionosys/(Aphrodite/Ares) build I just did.  Stacks poison on everything and doom/weak increases that damage, status mirror boosts it 40%, and there are a lot of fun duos in there.

ETA: If you're having trouble with the duo in Elysium, doom makes it really easy.  Just run around the edge and focus your doom attacks on the minotaur only.  Then once he's gone, get the spear thrower, because once he's at 50% health he uses a call that makes fighting both of them a PITA.  Then you just run around the edge and throw your doom shield when you can.  It might take some time, but you'll survive.

One of the best things you can do is focus heavy on cast and knock back damage. Zeus/poseidon duo works well here with the shield charge, zeus/Artemis works to have lightning rod, hunting blades is good, and zeus-dionysus with trippy shot is good. Can work interestingly with Athena reflect abilities too. Demeter is okay with the shield throw.

The fun one, imo, is the one where you can just throw your shield and have it stay somewhere. This gets especially silly with Zeus specials and Zeus boosts increasing the lightning damage, and you can then recall the shield and run away from it and it'll follow you around and wreck things. 

Just finished beating Hades with all the different types of weapons. Having 3 revives and focusing on health, dodge, and damage reduction over pretty much everything else gives a lot of room for error, but also I think it allows the build to shine a bit more since the combos really matter. Fists were a Zeus/Aphrodite build that just stun locked everyone. Rail was similar build, but a much different playstyle focusing on buffing myself with the special. Gonna work on getting the rest of the weapons and turn up the heat next.

13 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I realized I have an issue playing console designed games on my PC. I like to be able to get up from my desk and quit a game when I want to, not have to wait for a save point. 

Yeah, being unable to save/pause is incredibly frustrating in any game. I get that some games do that to prevent retries, but they can at least provide a continue option which deletes the save upon loading.

9 hours ago, Toth said:

Mmh... I guess I am still in something of a pickle in regards to my animal pen in Rimworld. I thought I'm being clever putting up a little barn with a campfire and growing daylillies inside, since those apparently only need a small amount of light anymore. I also put in an animal flap, thinking my boars will then be able to just go in and out and they do. But they don't eat the daylillies even if they are starving, so I was forced to sacrifice some of my normal food to feed them.

I guess my plan to turn my base into a big ranch, taming the alpacas and horses on the map for wool and as pack animals, will get a little more complicated thanks to this.

You can try making kibble (veggie + meat). You can hunt the animals on the map for some meat. You can also feed them the meat directly.

(Pro move: feed them raider corpses. I once had a freezer full of raider corpse which fed my pigs and Labrador haulers)

i have been loving the a20 of 7 days to die. i play online with a group of four friends. it has been fun building a base, gathering supplies, farming and such in anticipation of having q night of overwhelming zombie terror descending upon our home. 

the customization of the game is also great.  we recently started a new game with no weekly blood moon horde at all but with the caveat if you die you have to delete your character and start again. we also buffed up the zombies a lot and are playing a long-term survival game out of it. 

when this game hits an actual release i see it being immense.

Finally won here with aspect of Chiron (not fully buffed though, I only have the initial 6 titans bloods) Got a good mix of damage and defence buffs. Didn’t even use one deaths defiance the entire run.

Damage:

Heartbreak strike, drunken flourish, low tolerance, bad influence, sweet surrender (only common though)

Chaos got me 49% damage on specials. Hammers were concentrated volley (+3 dmg on special hits), piercing volley (400% dmg to armor on specials)

Defence was divine dash, greater evasion, hyper sprint and last stand as well as a 70 health buff from chaos. Had 320 max health at Hades, ended fight at 149.

I picked up a common Athena’s call right near the end and I had a small cast package around Zeus with electric shot and static discharge. 

Used evergreen acorn act three and on for bosses. Act one was Aphrodite and two was Athena (I picked up drunken flourish act one)

Nice @Arakasi!!!

I just unlocked all the base models of all the weapons and started collecting titan blood.  Currently just running whichever has dark thirst on it and trying out the different capabilities.  Ran a spear build that got to hades, but didn't really get good rolls for it.  But had a pretty good run with a bow build with a triple aphrodite shot that destroyed mobs. My problem now is not knowing what I want to spend my blood on.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

Nice @Arakasi!!!

I just unlocked all the base models of all the weapons and started collecting titan blood.  Currently just running whichever has dark thirst on it and trying out the different capabilities.  Ran a spear build that got to hades, but didn't really get good rolls for it.  But had a pretty good run with a bow build with a triple aphrodite shot that destroyed mobs. My problem now is not knowing what I want to spend my blood on.

In general you should unlock the nonspecial aspects of everything first, then try and get the special aspects. 

1 hour ago, Poobah said:

What sorts of play styles do you enjoy?

I like all of them! That’s the problem… At least for these first few heat settings it’s not too bad to deal with and I’m getting 2 bloods a run typically, so right now I’m just saving them, but I’m sure this isn’t sustainable.

9 minutes ago, Kalsandra said:

In general you should unlock the nonspecial aspects of everything first, then try and get the special aspects. 

That’s the plan, working my way through the hidden aspects now. It’s just weird to have so many blood just sitting there

After unlocking everything I spent my blood on making the chiron aspect best, then Arthur, then chaos shield. Also blew a bunch of blood on the special spear aspect so it didn't suck so bad.

Archived