Videogames: New Year, New Thread

Poobah

17 hours ago, RumHam said:

Ouch! I hate those guys. Like I'm sorry you had to eat without a table but is igniting the chemfuel reserves really the answer?! I'll recruit just about anyone, but no pyromaniacs. 

Yeah, I heard about players avoiding them like the plague as well. Though I have to say they would be more manageable if they only go crazy when they are cranky, but it's actually worse: They are also setting fire to stuff when their mood bar is completely filled up with happiness! They just like setting things on fire! So you basically get some people who can get mental completely randomly, though I guess it's true that it happens more often when they are unhappy. Unfortunately I already learned of this after my starting colonists were two thirds pyromaniacs. They are now a perfectly married couple. XD

But then again... not going to curse myself, but so far their few fire spreading sprees had been comparably easy to handle. The only one that got a bit out of control was when Kimmy, my colonist with the highest social skill, came back from her quest to sell clubs to a neighbor and got a fire spreading spree at the edge of the map. I decided to mark the area as living space because I was fearing the whole map might end up torched, but beating that wildfire out was still quite a hassle as it kept sparking up anew. Other fire spreading sprees so far only very harmlessly damaged some steel walls or junk items in my storage like poor quality beds and chairs that I stored for sale. Though I'm stumped that I already somehow got two masterwork dining chairs in my new dining room...

4 hours ago, Poobah said:

One thing you can do extremely well with Chaos shield in single target is stack up things that stack on big single targets if you release the barrage of shields at point blank range. Unfortunately from what I've been told this doesn't work with Zeus special because it apparently has an internal cooldown on how often a lightning bolt can hit a single target (same reason it's not as good with Chrion as you'd hope) but it is incredible with Dionysus, and can be fairly good with Demeter if you get the boon that causes a damage explosion at 10 stacks. I haven't tried it with the stacking doom Ares boon but I imagine the performance would be decent enough too.

Yeah I won barely with a run with ares special but it was ugly. Didn’t help that I couldn’t manage to get merciful end which would have helped damage a lot. I just beat heat 2 with a more easy run that involved Poseidon special, Athena strike/dash and sea storm. Just felt better with the damage from the forced moves and it felt more safe too. Still not great for damage but it was better.

With the shield I've always focused on casts and special stuff, though the poseidon Zeus sea storm combo where you take as little poseidon as possible and stack the heck out of Zeus lightning boosts can be okay. 

Well sure I focus on specials. Cast is okay since any bit helps and on the last run I did get Artemis’ legendary for more casts. But still chaos shield doesn’t help casts so it’s underwhelming compared to Eris or Achilles. I just haven’t found a good way to turn the special into good single target dmg other than unsafe shotgun approach. Running around hades spamming single target special to put dooms on him was rather underwhelming. And it’s not like it is that safe for groups either unless you get charged rush or the faster bullrush.

4 hours ago, Toth said:

Yeah, I heard about players avoiding them like the plague as well. Though I have to say they would be more manageable if they only go crazy when they are cranky, but it's actually worse: They are also setting fire to stuff when their mood bar is completely filled up with happiness! They just like setting things on fire! So you basically get some people who can get mental completely randomly, though I guess it's true that it happens more often when they are unhappy. Unfortunately I already learned of this after my starting colonists were two thirds pyromaniacs. They are now a perfectly married couple. XD

But then again... not going to curse myself, but so far their few fire spreading sprees had been comparably easy to handle. The only one that got a bit out of control was when Kimmy, my colonist with the highest social skill, came back from her quest to sell clubs to a neighbor and got a fire spreading spree at the edge of the map. I decided to mark the area as living space because I was fearing the whole map might end up torched, but beating that wildfire out was still quite a hassle as it kept sparking up anew. Other fire spreading sprees so far only very harmlessly damaged some steel walls or junk items in my storage like poor quality beds and chairs that I stored for sale. Though I'm stumped that I already somehow got two masterwork dining chairs in my new dining room...

I always "home area" the entire map for fires, and create a smaller "indoors" area and restrict my cleaning person to it. If it's a rainy thunderstorm I'll briefly restrict everyone indoors so they don't waste time putting out fires that the rain will extinguish.

It sucks to run out of wood on your map because you let a fire spread. Or because of those pesky alpha-beavers.

22 hours ago, Arakasi said:

Got further into Hades now. Getting up to like heat 4-6 with bow and rail. Spear is like at 3-4 and Shield 1. Haven’t tried with sword or fist. I just find I don’t like the dash-strike playstyle that both of those armaments are built on. 

I do have four weapons maxed out now. Chiron bow, Eris rail, Chaos shield and Achilles spear. Haven’t talked enough with people to unlock any hidden aspects. Surprisingly having a hard time with chaos shield. I finally barely beat heat one with it. Just find the single target damage to be poor unless you just go dash strike and such. I really liked the Achilles spear first time I tried it. Lots of damage with an ice wine build. Chiron and Eris are both a lot of fun to play and I can try various boons with it.

Not sure who I’ll try next. Maybe Talos or something. I think I like fist more than sword. Sword hammer boons are just so boring for the most part. I guess I could try Zag sword for the cheese cursed blade build.

For sword you have only two real options for the hammer. The one where you get two dash strikes +20% for each strike, or a combo of flurry strike and the one where you get 2 hp for every hit. Definitely need to lean into the dash strikes tho. Poseidon, Aphrodite, and Athena are all great on dash. Zeus is good on attack. Ares if you get Athena on special and get merciful end.

ETA cast builds can be a good option as well.

Yeah dash strike gameplay I just don’t find all that fun. It’s a bit too hectic for me and I’m not that twitchy a gamer. But it’s by far the best tactic for both of those classes. I did annihilate Hades with a Zag build earlier so it does work. (I had double edge and double special) Both spear and shield are also like to use that but at least they offer boons that give you different play styles which is why I prefer them.

Fists with Demeter on attack could be a good training ground. Builds slow on everything, just hold down attack and dodge strike to avoid attacks. Far less twitchy and a pretty fun build with Aphrodite on dodge, lots of centaur hearts, Hermes to add dodge, Artemis for critical, and ares/Poseidon on call.

Am really enjoying both Assassin's Creed: Origins and God of War (both on PC) at the moment. A few interesting observations from the time I've spent playing both of them after hours:

1. AC:O is the first AC game I've actively not disliked. Every single previous entry in the series managed to find some way to frustrate me - whether it's through the insanely flashy menu screen that seemed like it wanted to blind me with its whiz-bang flashiness, or annoying QT scenes, frustrating systems that punished player deviation, or boring protagonists.

AC:O instead, seems to borrow several elements from the Tomb Raider Survivor trilogy, including the arrow reticle, looting sound effects, swimming mechanics, and camera system. And pressing the escape key leads directly to the menu! No whizzing cameras or distracting effects! Just a nice, easy-to-view menu.

Finally, Sarah Schachner's music is absolutely gorgeous. I maintain that Anthem is still probably her best work to date, but the music she's composed here is constantly gorgeous, interesting, and memorable.

2. God of War. Narrative through environment. Remarkable. The story moves along at a brisk pace, doesn't overload players with lore, and instead does its world-building through its designs, environments, and character interactions. It's never too much, and provides the right amount of exploration without leaving me wondering what I should do next. The levels/areas are absolutely gorgeous, the saturation in Sanctuary is exceptional, and Bear McCreary's music slaps. And hey - they got Chris Judge (Teal'c!) in as the voice actor for Kratos! Wicked!

I do wish the field of view was a bit wider, so that the camera wasn't based around Kratos' right shoulder, but hopefully a FOV patch will at some point address that issue. At the moment, that particular feature reminds me a bit of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, which had the same issue (which was addressed in Re-Reckoning). 

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

Holy shit. Microsoft is making a play to buy Activision Blizzard. The deal could be worth $70 billion, ten times what Microsoft paid for Bethesda.

Wow. I wonder how Phil Spector convinced the C-Suites to pony up that kind of money. For that amount, I assume they have plans beyond just the Xbox division. Does Activison own some sort of streaming tech that could improve Office too? Or something like that?

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Holy shit. Microsoft is making a play to buy Activision Blizzard. The deal could be worth $70 billion, ten times what Microsoft paid for Bethesda.

It's officially a deal : https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

It's not good that a few companies are buying up everything else, in film or video games.

That said, Microsoft will probably do a better job of running them, as far as I remember video game developers have done well under Microsoft. I wish they would buy Bioware back from EA.

I can honestly and truthfully say that I has absolutely no knowledge of this until this morning. 

Wow.

I think the most remarkable thing about this is that the purchase of one of the most beloved game studios ever by Microsoft is being seen as largely a good thing. Man how the mighty have fallen. 

I read this news here.  Its funny the perspective you get when you get the news elsewhere...

I was listening to the radio and a syndicated ABC Newsbreak came on.  They described Activision Blizzard as "The makers of Call of Duty and Candy Crush."  :lol:

I was fully expecting it to say CoD and World of Warcraft and it just caught me off guard.

Man, that's some pretty gigantic news in the gaming industry to have today.

Microsoft does seem to be doing pretty well letting its subsidiary game studios do their thing without too much drama. 

Archived