Videogames: New Year, New Thread

Poobah

Went back to Diablo 3 after my initial witch doctor season blast and managed to 'complete the game' with a solo GR150 on the monk.

Not that especial of an achievement this season, but given that I've never been a fan of paragon grinding or GR fishing, I'm pretty pleased. Under P1600 too, so not entirely trivial.

My pre-order for Elden Ring just gave me an ETA of March 11th.  Apparently Target does their pre-orders through the distributor and not their DC/Store network, and they put almost all of them on backorder.  So I ordered one through my local Target for pickup that will be ready in 1/2 hour.  I've also heard that they are working on a solution this year to do pre-orders themselves so when you do, it will actually be delivered on the day it's released.  Now I remember why I don't pre-order games, next time I'll just do same day pickup and risk no inventory.

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

My pre-order for Elden Ring just gave me an ETA of March 11th.  Apparently Target does their pre-orders through the distributor and not their DC/Store network, and they put almost all of them on backorder.  So I ordered one through my local Target for pickup that will be ready in 1/2 hour.  I've also heard that they are working on a solution this year to do pre-orders themselves so when you do, it will actually be delivered on the day it's released.  Now I remember why I don't pre-order games, next time I'll just do same day pickup and risk no inventory.

The Targets around here are handling online orders as if the local store is a warehouse basically.  Get on the app.  Order some deodorant.  A nice blouse.  A PS5 controller and the Lego Death Star.  They'll send an employee in a red polo shirt around the store shelves to pull those things and then have them shipped to you from there.  Its a bit bizarre.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

The Targets around here are handling online orders as if the local store is a warehouse basically.  Get on the app.  Order some deodorant.  A nice blouse.  A PS5 controller and the Lego Death Star.  They'll send an employee in a red polo shirt around the store shelves to pull those things and then have them shipped to you from there.  Its a bit bizarre.

They do that for your day of orders (it’s how I got mine today), but not their pre-orders. I’m really hoping they fix that because there is zero incentive to pre-order. I feel bad for my friend that got the $200 deluxe version

• 2 weeks later...

While everyone else is hitting that Elden Ring buffet table, I'm over here making my way through Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut and The Ascent. Oh, and of course, am still in the early parts of a second play-through of Cyberpunk 2077. There's a cool new mod that adds vehicle combat which looks immensely fun (installed last night, haven't had a chance to test it out yet).

Yeah I have absolutely no interest in the Souls style games, but it's been loads of fun watching Elden Ring being played by lots of streamers I follow through different genres on Twitch. While they explore amazing new areas and get face-stomped by bosses, I am revisiting the calm of Valheim in a fresh solo world, this time more aggressively pushing into the last biomes instead of my first longterm run where I mostly stagnated with too many okay-ish houses sprinkled around the earliest biomes. This time I have my first simple one, my large, fully functional and pretty compound, a simple swamp castle and mountain hold, and now my massive, many dozens of hours longterm build out in the Meadows. I've terraformed a fully moated/walled fortress that's currently only some temporary buildings while I farm many, many stacks of everything for my Lodge idea I'll be doing. It'll probably take me months, and I don't have anyone to show it off to, but it's just a perfect balance of chill material farming then chill Viking Minecraft building. 

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I am revisiting the calm of Valheim in a fresh solo world, this time more aggressively pushing into the last biomes instead of my first longterm run where I mostly stagnated with too many okay-ish houses sprinkled around the earliest biomes.

@Argonath Diver can you explain the appeal of Valheim to me? Why has it attracted so many players? And can I play it as a single-player, offline experience?

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

@Argonath Diver can you explain the appeal of Valheim to me? Why has it attracted so many players? And can I play it as a single-player, offline experience?

I have over 300 hours now, almost entirely solo. Loads and loads of that is my "playing" it while surfing or Netflixing etc on the other screen. That's the appeal of it for me. I am spending a couple hours a week building this absurdly oversized Viking lodge for one little guy who's already beaten all the very cheesy combat. It's just Minecraft with Vikings, really. I never played Minecraft but I love this. If I want a more active playstyle, I'm on something else, though. It's still worth a playthrough as a really gorgeous survival game, if that's your thing.

• 5 months later...

Firstly, why are there two video game threads? I hadn't noticed before.

Secondly, yes! I like the look of the TLOU teaser. Impossible to really say much of anything about it apart from I am very glad to see the dialogue from that scene will be in the series (or at least is being teased as being in the series, I don't think they would dare leave it out, not if they want to keep the fans happy). Getting very much ahead of things, but assuming a season two will it be game 2, or will it fill in the time gap between game 1 and game 2?

Archived