Videogames: New Year, New Thread

Poobah

On 1/19/2022 at 11:40 AM, Fez said:

Vampire Survivors is a neat little game on Steam I started playing that seems to be getting some traction. Only $3 and its in early access, but it's no shovelware. It's a like Loop Hero and Devil Daggers had a baby that liked the look of Castlevania.

It's a run-based game where the only things you do in the game are move and pick upgrades when you level up (which happens when you collect enough experience orbs from moving over them). You're swarmed by enemies and all your attacks happen automatically. Your upgrades improve your weapons and give you additional ones, as well as improve your defenses or speed. The only goal is to survive as long as you can. And there's gold you can collect which can be spent on permanent passive upgrades. I've gotten to 11 minutes so far.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a big Castlevania fan so for $3 I gave it a shot. I love it and now I want like a spaceship / FTL like one. If I wasn't so bad at making games I'd try to do it myself. 

I slept on Garlic for too long! that stuff can make for a good run. 

17 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Bannerlord has something like this but you don't experience what your designated companions do. In the latest version you get a chance of success which is dependent on their skills pertaining to the quest.

I'm glad to hear Expeditions: Rome does this because one negative review on Steam mentioned that it was ridiculous to still do tiny squad missions when your character is in command of entire legions.

They could be farther along me; I'm only around 8 hours in so I don't know what happens later on. But very early on, you don't command legions, and it makes sense you just have a small squad. Then once you do have command, so far all my squad battles are either a) supposed to be part of large battles (which is mostly accomplished through sound design suggesting a lot more fighting is happening off screen; though sometimes a few friendly NPCs will be on the map with you) and you're simply leading from the front; or b) in settings where it makes sense you'd have a small group and be present. For instance, you can go into an enemy city to parlay with a leader; and if it goes poorly you can end up in a fight.

But for stuff like "some of our legionaries have been captured by the enemy and we should mount a rescue mission" that gets foisted off on to a companion. The party icon on the map to go to that kind of mission does look the same as for anything else; but I chalk that up to budget limitations and not that you are supposed to be present but off-screen.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the end there's more commander-led squad battles than would actually make sense logically; it is still a CRPG after all. But even addressing the issue at all (and not just abstractly,  like the way Dragon Age: Inquisition did a little bit with the war table) is major improvement IMO.

27 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a big Castlevania fan so for $3 I gave it a shot. I love it and now I want like a spaceship / FTL like one. If I wasn't so bad at making games I'd try to do it myself. 

I slept on Garlic for too long! that stuff can make for a good run. 

Nice. Yeah, it's a really neat concept. 

Garlic starts really strong, but seems fade badly by around minute 10; or maybe I've just been unlucky with getting enough upgrades for it. Either way, I haven't gotten past minute 13 yet, when the massive ghost swarms start showing up.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

Nice. Yeah, it's a really neat concept. 

Garlic starts really strong, but seems fade badly by around minute 10; or maybe I've just been unlucky with getting enough upgrades for it. Either way, I haven't gotten past minute 13 yet, when the massive ghost swarms start showing up.

I just got to minute thirteen for the first time, yeah that's rough. The only upgrades I have are +gold and 3 in health regen though. 

Edit: Garlic just seems great for leveling up at the start.

28 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I just got to minute thirteen for the first time, yeah that's rough. The only upgrades I have are +gold and 3 in health regen though. 

Edit: Garlic just seems great for leveling up at the start.

By the way, I took the risk and did the upgrade refund not sure if there'd be a penalty. There's not. You get all your gold back so you can freely re-spec between any run.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

By the way, I took the risk and did the upgrade refund not sure if there'd be a penalty. There's not. You get all your gold back so you can freely re-spec between any run.

Hey what character are you using? I've been stuck on the lightning ring alucard clone since I unlocked her. 

Also holy shit, the game is online for free! that's awesome and also makes a lot of sense because it totally feels like a browser game. 

https://poncle.itch.io/vampire-survivors

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hey what character are you using? I've been stuck on the lightning ring alucard clone since I unlocked her. 

Also holy shit, the game is online for free! that's awesome and also makes a lot of sense because it totally feels like a browser game. 

The 3rd character, the old man with the staff that has the random missile attack. The first few minutes are slow, but of the characters I've unlocked I think his weapon is the strongest later on. And I don't want any wasted weapon slots.

I made it to minute 15; but wasn't any stronger than at minute 13 since I couldn't stop to pick up xp orbs, I just lucky with constantly moving in one direction.

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

Goddamn it. I have now spent far too much time playing this game. Currently have a 15.5min run (should've been longer but got greedy going for a chest).

The werewolves seem to be the show stopper for me at the moment.

12 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Goddamn it. I have now spent far too much time playing this game. Currently have a 15.5min run (should've been longer but got greedy going for a chest).

The werewolves seem to be the show stopper for me at the moment.

I only just now realized that's what those are. Even level 7 garlic did not kill them.

I also recently learned the value of luck. I thought it just gave you a chance for four level up options but it can also give a chance for getting multiple upgrades from chests. That seems really important. 

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

I only just now realized that's what those are. Even level 7 garlic did not kill them.

I also recently learned the value of luck. I thought it just gave you a chance for four level up options but it can also give a chance for getting multiple upgrades from chests. That seems really important. 

I find garlic semi useless after the 12-13min mark. Have been going deep daggers / whip / cross for the damage. I can actually kill the nastier mobs with those.

Yeah the multiple upgrade chests are fantastic. My previous best run I had 2x3 upgrade chests and a 5! upgrade one. Got very lucky.

So.. just found out you can get ultimate versions of the weapons. I had knives 8, and a few stacks of bracers and they became machinegun knives which have no cooldown, just spammed infinite knives whichever way I pointed. Utterly ridiculous. Got to 30mins and stage completed.

Barely got to continue with my Rimworld playthrough this week. I ended up getting a quest to deliver 12 normal quality dusters in exchange for one of three rewards, with me choosing a pile of jade. Unfortunately I kind of got distracted with the harvest and a bunch of poor quality dusters that set me back, so I narrowly missed the deadline. So instead I'm now sitting on (nearly) a dozen dusters, which... I guess isn't bad at all. I still made a caravan though and grabbed a nearby stash of hyperweave.

And then I got another, much more tricky quest that I'm currently pondering about whether to accept: Sending 10 normal quality shotguns. Now this is quite demanding, given how low I'm currently on steel and components after finishing my indoor farm and equipping everyone who still had a bow with machine pistols, as well as setting up some turrets in my kill zone. The thing is, the quest reward that caught my eye is a huge pile of plasteel. I'm currently painfully aware just how little in regards to resources my map has as I cannot build a multi-analyzer as it needs gold and plasteel. For the same reason I cannot build a mineral scanner that might be helpful to get these resources. So getting at least the plasteel from the quest and during the same trip also buy some gold, seems to be the best way to go about this.

In other news: My base is nearing completion. My indoor farm is up and running, right now focusing on devilstrand, but looking at my bursting warehouses filled with kibble, I'm curious about whether I should switch it to corn somewhere down the line and abandon some of my fields. Case in point: I only managed to empty my barn of about a third of its content. The rest was sitting there all summer, slowly rotting, until I got fed up and installed two coolers to carry them till winter. And then when I brought in the next corn harvest, almost all of it rotted away on the field because I didn't have any space. Sigh... I'm just saying food isn't an issue currently.

On the other hand the raids are getting noticeably tougher. Now it's 4 guys with autopistols, which so far hasn't gotten me into any trouble, but if I build some more expensive stuff I guess I really need to focus on improving upon my killbox.

2 hours ago, Toth said:

Barely got to continue with my Rimworld playthrough this week. I ended up getting a quest to deliver 12 normal quality dusters in exchange for one of three rewards, with me choosing a pile of jade. Unfortunately I kind of got distracted with the harvest and a bunch of poor quality dusters that set me back, so I narrowly missed the deadline. So instead I'm now sitting on (nearly) a dozen dusters, which... I guess isn't bad at all. I still made a caravan though and grabbed a nearby stash of hyperweave.

And then I got another, much more tricky quest that I'm currently pondering about whether to accept: Sending 10 normal quality shotguns. Now this is quite demanding, given how low I'm currently on steel and components after finishing my indoor farm and equipping everyone who still had a bow with machine pistols, as well as setting up some turrets in my kill zone. The thing is, the quest reward that caught my eye is a huge pile of plasteel. I'm currently painfully aware just how little in regards to resources my map has as I cannot build a multi-analyzer as it needs gold and plasteel. For the same reason I cannot build a mineral scanner that might be helpful to get these resources. So getting at least the plasteel from the quest and during the same trip also buy some gold, seems to be the best way to go about this.

In other news: My base is nearing completion. My indoor farm is up and running, right now focusing on devilstrand, but looking at my bursting warehouses filled with kibble, I'm curious about whether I should switch it to corn somewhere down the line and abandon some of my fields. Case in point: I only managed to empty my barn of about a third of its content. The rest was sitting there all summer, slowly rotting, until I got fed up and installed two coolers to carry them till winter. And then when I brought in the next corn harvest, almost all of it rotted away on the field because I didn't have any space. Sigh... I'm just saying food isn't an issue currently.

On the other hand the raids are getting noticeably tougher. Now it's 4 guys with autopistols, which so far hasn't gotten me into any trouble, but if I build some more expensive stuff I guess I really need to focus on improving upon my killbox.

Sell corn/rice etc and go buy the plasteel/gold? Shouldn't need heaps for the buildings (you will need a fair bit for crafting though). I usually prefer the long range scanner as you can choose what material to scan for (usually i prioritise components and plasteel), while the ground penetrating radar is random (you don't know what you will get, usually it is steel).

Most maps have some small bits of gold and plasteel, so maybe double check (unless you dug it out already) as Plasteel kinda looks like steel and can be hard to spot. Otherwise, trading is your best bet. Sell stuff and buy all the components you come across (which will preserve some steel as a side benefit since you won't need to make your own). Your few thousand crops should net you a few hundred silver at the very least.

Have you traded much? or have something to trade (your ranch animals/meats/leather/leather products/art etc)?

Keen to see your base! Maybe upload a pic when you get the chance.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Sell corn/rice etc and go buy the plasteel/gold? Shouldn't need heaps for the buildings (you will need a fair bit for crafting though). I usually prefer the long range scanner as you can choose what material to scan for (usually i prioritise components and plasteel), while the ground penetrating radar is random (you don't know what you will get, usually it is steel).

I guess you are right on both points. I somehow have this thought that I want to be entirely self-reliant, so that goal kinda overrides my short-term common sense. The thing with trade however is that I barely ever get any caravans and the next village is 2,5 days away, so I probably should focus on getting a communication beacon running and calling them over instead of waiting for them. Same with the long range scanner and making caravans instead of digging on my own map.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Most maps have some small bits of gold and plasteel, so maybe double check (unless you dug it out already) as Plasteel kinda looks like steel and can be hard to spot. Otherwise, trading is your best bet. Sell stuff and buy all the components you come across (which will preserve some steel as a side benefit since you won't need to make your own). Your few thousand crops should net you a few hundred silver at the very least.

The thing is the tutorial dropped me in an area with no real mountains, so I have only a couple of very thin rocks with the occasional steel and compressed components sticking out. Maybe if I digged randomly straight into one of the slightly bigger hills I might find some ores that I haven't seen before, but that's a gamble I'm not exactly willing to make. So far my map doesn't net me much. Heck, there isn't even any marble, I only got some through grabbing rocks when my caravan is on a battle map. Also no trader that I had seen so far was willing to trade raw crops, so... well, I guess making the trip to the next village is my only choice. Btw, I also never had a trader who carried components with them and I seriously approach each and everyone who visits.

I guess I can upload my current state of affairs... once things have settled down a bit. Because right now a series of insane snowballing events kind of threw me off. I wanted to mine all compacted machinery on the map to see whether I even have 30 components to construct the guns needed from me. As I did so first my boars caught the flu and as I was tending to them, one of my colonists caught muscle parasites and then the plague on top of that. While tending for her a tribal raid happened that didn't quite breach my defense, but two settlers, one of them my main doctor, got severely hurt by stray arrows (my corridor is probably not long enough, they kept huddling at the entrance, using it as cover). I guess that's the advantage of having three doctors, I was still able to tend to them competently. Unfortunately just after I patched them up and fed them... they all got food poisoning! Turns out having a kitchen develop -4 dirt is something you need to avoid. I just finished cleaning it and wanted to say good night, as suddenly Zzzzt! happened inside my fridge, lighting my potatoes on fire. I sent my people in to beat it out, which they actually succeeded, but then wondered about the plethora of heatstroke warnings. Turns out the fire made the temperatures rapidly rise to 120 degrees and knocked everyone out who tried to help beating it out. That damn insulation backfired!

So right now pretty much everyone except my two pyromaniacs are incapacitated since they slept soundly through the incident... :rolleyes:

Finished Act 1 of Expeditions: Rome after 18 hours (helps that I could carry over progress from the substantial demo); this is definitely shaping up to be a beefy game. Although I believe it is a 3 Act game, rather than 6+ like the Pathfinder games; so this'll probably be a 60ish hour thing, whereas Pathfinder: WoTR took me just over 200 hours.

It's a fun time; though the companion characters still aren't as chatty as I'd like. They're interesting at times, and get some good sequences, but this still isn't an old school Bioware party. Also, it turns out the developers did not totally solve the issue of "important leader doing the dirty work", but I think they did minimize it a lot. There was only a single two-fight sequence where I thought it really didn't make sense I was there; and it was at least part of the main story. And there were 5 or 6 of those instances where I delegated to a companion to deal with things; one of those fights even had a unique mechanic I haven't encountered anywhere else yet.

I just picked up Expeditions: Rome. Their effort to show Roman society and how the military is ranked makes the game really immersive. The combat is similar to Wartales but I think a little more complex. I only just started and got past the intro mission.

10 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

I find garlic semi useless after the 12-13min mark. Have been going deep daggers / whip / cross for the damage. I can actually kill the nastier mobs with those.

Yeah the multiple upgrade chests are fantastic. My previous best run I had 2x3 upgrade chests and a 5! upgrade one. Got very lucky.

So.. just found out you can get ultimate versions of the weapons. I had knives 8, and a few stacks of bracers and they became machinegun knives which have no cooldown, just spammed infinite knives whichever way I pointed. Utterly ridiculous. Got to 30mins and stage completed.

Yeah, I was using garlic to farm coins basically. But now I feel kinda naked and defenseless without it! Like it's nice when you get to the werewolf/ghost swarms if you can ignore the ghosts and just have to dodge the were-wolves. It's also worth noting that since I unlocked her I've been playing as the area+30 character, with the extra area bonus purchased which makes the garlic more effective.

I made it to like 14:30 yesterday I also discovered you could upgrade weapons. For me it was the ax + candelabra. Then I realized you could click achievements on the main menu and see what you still have to do to unlock things, which is helpful. 

Okay, so here is how my base looks like at the moment: https://s20.directupload.net/images/220123/vsenabpp.png

To be honest, I'm starting to feel the downsides of a ranch run. I have one guy whose entire job is cooking then one guy who is only busy making kibble and even then in winter it isn't enough because the animals need so much and there is so much walking through the snow involved. Even though I constructed roofs above most walkways and am starting to lay roads. I also constructed a pure hay barn next to my freezer (even though I at first used it to store leftover corn that was rotting outside). I guess next up is a sickbay.

Btw, I jinxed it in a positive way when I complained about my lack of traders and their high tech stock. Just after I continued my playthrough a bunch of bulk goods traders appeared who indeed had some components, but still no gold or plasteel (though later on I indeed got some exotic goods traders who did).

Now to my shotgun quest... damn, that was the closest thing ever. The town I had to reach this time was 3,5 days away and I finished constructing the 10 shotguns 5 days before the deadline. I was veeeery concerned about getting attacked and loosing time defending myself, but luckily I somehow made it without any incidents, got my plasteel and used my presence there to also buy some gold and advanced components.

Next mission is again at the closer village. Interestingly, the reward that intrigues me the most is a mad scientist colonist joining me. The guy has absolutely insane stats, among them 15 intelligence and 12 crafting and apart from 'abrasive' no discernible character flaws. 10 molotov cocktails also don't seem like all that high of a demand...

I'm liking the look of Expeditions: Rome and will probably pick it up in the nearish future.

Has anyone played the earlier (and considerably cheaper at the moment) games in the series? Expeditions: Conquistador and Expeditions: Viking.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm liking the look of Expeditions: Rome and will probably pick it up in the nearish future.

Has anyone played the earlier (and considerably cheaper at the moment) games in the series? Expeditions: Conquistador and Expeditions: Viking.

Yes to both. Viking is pretty similar to Rome, only without the added strategic layer (there is a very, very basic base building mechanic, but that's it). It tells a story pretty similar to AC: Valhalla actually; only without the modern day stuff or the aliens. And I think does a better job at it. You feel much more like a real Viking, and can be just as brutal if that's the way you want to go.

Conquistador is a much more basic game; both in game systems and writing. Most combat turns you'll just do basic attacks because there are very few skills in the game. And most of the characters are interchangeable (literally; the game will randomly pick one to comment, depending on the situation and the various character traits). Feels more like a prototype for the series. It still has some neat parts to it though, so if it's on sale it could be worth checking out.

Vikings and Conquistador played much looser with historical accuracy than Rome too. Which in some respects is fine; I see no problem with those games have gender equality. But the ease with which Conquistador lets you play a "good" conquistador can feel like serious whitewashing of some terrible people. You can be a "good" viking too, like Valhalla has you be; but at least there the game gives greater incentives to not be.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yes to both. Viking is pretty similar to Rome, only without the added strategic layer (there is a very, very basic base building mechanic, but that's it). It tells a story pretty similar to AC: Valhalla actually; only without the modern day stuff or the aliens. And I think does a better job at it. You feel much more like a real Viking, and can be just as brutal if that's the way you want to go.

Conquistador is a much more basic game; both in game systems and writing. Most combat turns you'll just do basic attacks because there are very few skills in the game. And most of the characters are interchangeable (literally; the game will randomly pick one to comment, depending on the situation and the various character traits). Feels more like a prototype for the series. It still has some neat parts to it though, so if it's on sale it could be worth checking out.

Vikings and Conquistador played much looser with historical accuracy than Rome too. Which in some respects is fine; I see no problem with those games have gender equality. But the ease with which Conquistador lets you play a "good" conquistador can feel like serious whitewashing of some terrible people. You can be a "good" viking too, like Valhalla has you be; but at least there the game gives greater incentives to not be.

I've never played these other ones. Does Viking have fantasy, because that's what some of the screenshots implied?

I like these non-fantasy tactical turn-base games. Rome is certainly interesting. As a Total War player I wish there was more on the grander strategy side but even so, I did not expect such a complex game when I started it.

Archived