What could have happened if Hoster Tully was healthy during the War of the Five Kings ?

What differences there may have been in the story if instead of bein dying and of his mind going away, Hoster Tully had been healthy enough with his body and had his mind intact during the first three books of the saga ?

How different could things have gone with Hoster's political intelligence and talents being available to the North-Riverlands faction during the war of the Five Kings ? How good and influencial of an advisor could he have been to his grandson Robb ? How effective could he have been at leading the Riverlands' forces and defense against the Lannisters' forces at least until Robb's army came south ?

Also what do you think would have been his point of view and his interactions with his grandson, Catelyn, Edmure and Brynden after his return from the Vale and the other ?

What advices could he have given to Robb and Catelyn for example about their military and strategic strategic, about the other players and great houses other than the Lannisters and other possible alliances and enemies to deal with ?

Tywin would probably combine his forces at golden tooth and take command. His entire plan on canon was dependant on edmure being a naive leader. But with hoster healthy and ready to lead he has to be more cautious. Throwing Jamie against a seasoned commander is a bad idea and Tywin knows it.

Instead wed have a large pitched battle with the amassed strength of the riverlands. Whether hoster wins is really a wildcard, my bets are that Tywin is the better commander but at the same time it also depends where the battle is fought, and in a medieval battle anything can happen.

Whther hoster or Tywin wins it will definitely change robbs entire war plan. And at this point its impossible to predict what would happen afterwards.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:14 AM, The Young Maester said:

Instead wed have a large pitched battle with the amassed strength of the riverlands. Whether hoster wins is really a wildcard, my bets are that Tywin is the better commander but at the same time it also depends where the battle is fought, and in a medieval battle anything can happen.

Did Hoster fight during the War of the Ninepenny Kings? I know Brynden made his name in that war alongside Tywin, but I don’t recall if Hoster fought there too. Also, I don’t want to assume he’s the worse commander than Tywin, given that Tywin was fought to a standstill by Edmure.

6 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Did Hoster fight during the War of the Ninepenny Kings? I know Brynden made his name in that war alongside Tywin, but I don’t recall if Hoster fought there too.

He did, that's where he befriended Petyr's father.

Archived