The House with the Red Door

AlaskanSandman

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/House_Martell.svg

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Martell

That's it, the Red Door is the "Red Sun" sigil of House Martell. The House with the Red Door. Sun's being stars and stars being doorways to another world. (Egyptian word for star is related to doorways and gates)

Seba is one of the most significant Egyptian symbols. It is the symbol for star, which connotes discipline or learning. This symbol is also associated with doorways and gates.

https://symbolsarchive.com/seba-symbol-history-meaning/#:~:text=Seba is one of the,associated with doorways and gates.

A Clash of Kings - Bran V

"Osha," Bran asked as they crossed the yard. "Do you know the way north? To the Wall and . . . and even past?"
"The way's easy. Look for the Ice Dragon, and chase the blue star in the rider's eye." She backed through a door and started up the winding steps.

A Game of Thrones - Bran VII

His brother nodded. "If Shaggy comes too," he said, running after Osha and Bran, and there was nothing Maester Luwin could do but follow, keeping a wary eye on the wolves.
Maester Luwin's turret was so cluttered that it seemed to Bran a wonder that he ever found anything. Tottering piles of books covered tables and chairs, rows of stoppered jars lined the shelves, candle stubs and puddles of dried wax dotted the furniture, the bronze Myrish lens tube sat on a tripod by the terrace door, star charts hung from the walls, shadow maps lay scattered among the rushes, papers, quills, and pots of inks were everywhere, and all of it was spotted with droppings from the ravens in the rafters. Their strident quorks drifted down from above as Osha washed and cleaned and bandaged the maester's wounds, under Luwin's terse instruction. "This is folly," the small grey man said while she dabbed at the wolf bites with a stinging ointment. "I agree that it is odd that both you boys dreamed the same dream, yet when you stop to consider it, it's only natural. You miss your lord father, and you know that he is a captive. Fear can fever a man's mind and give him queer thoughts. Rickon is too young to comprehend—"

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys IV

Finally the stair opened. To her right, a set of wide wooden doors had been thrown open. They were fashioned of ebony and weirwood, the black and white grains swirling and twisting in strange interwoven patterns. They were very beautiful, yet somehow frightening. The blood of the dragon must not be afraid. Dany said a quick prayer, begging the Warrior for courage and the Dothraki horse god for strength. She made herself walk forward.
Beyond the doors was a great hall and a splendor of wizards. Some wore sumptuous robes of ermine, ruby velvet, and cloth of gold. Others fancied elaborate armor studded with gemstones, or tall pointed hats speckled with stars.

A Feast for Crows - Cat Of The Canals

Valar morghulis, she thought.
Fog rose all around as she walked through the streets of Braavos. She was shivering a little by the time she pushed through the weirwood door into the House of Black and White. Only a few candles burned this evening, flickering like fallen stars. In the darkness all the gods were strangers.

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion VI

The only red priest Tyrion had ever known was Thoros of Myr, the portly, genial, wine-stained roisterer who had loitered about Robert's court swilling the king's finest vintages and setting his sword on fire for mêlées. "Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical," he told Haldon, "the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble."
"It may be that we can use this trouble to our advantage. I know where we may find answers." Haldon led them past the headless hero to where a big stone inn fronted on the square. The ridged shell of some immense turtle hung above its door, painted in garish colors. Inside a hundred dim red candles burned like distant stars. 

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys X

Not since those half-remembered days in Braavos when she lived in the house with the red door had she been as happy.

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys III

"Wise child." The knight smiled.
"I am no child," she told him fiercely. Her heels pressed into the sides of her mount, rousing the silver to a gallop. Faster and faster she raced, leaving Jorah and Irri and the others far behind, the warm wind in her hair and the setting sun red on her face. By the time she reached the khalasar, it was dusk.

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys VII

"If you would please me, ser, be happy for me," Daenerys said. "This is my wedding day. They will be dancing in the Yellow City, I do not doubt." She sighed. "Rise, my prince, and smile. One day I shall return to Westeros to claim my father's throne, and look to Dorne for help. But on this day the Yunkai'i have my city ringed in steel. I may die before I see my Seven Kingdoms. Hizdahr may die. Westeros may be swallowed by the waves." Dany kissed his cheek. "Come. It's time I wed."
Ser Barristan helped her up onto her sedan chair. Quentyn rejoined his fellow Dornishmen. Strong Belwas bellowed for the gates to be opened, and Daenerys Targaryen was carried forth into the sun. 

The House with the Red Door is a place of safety.  This is the door to which Daenerys was running to in her dreams.  In real terms, any door can be painted red.  But this is a dream and the door is a concept of safety.  The Dothraki would have forced her to join the Dosh Khaleen if she had failed to reach the red door.  Daenerys passed through the door and watched her shadows below.  The red door is figuratively Drogo's funeral fire and she walked through the fire and got rewarded with three dragons.  She escaped the fate of the Dosh Khaleen.

The door and star connection is very interesting.  I'll add one:

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys III

Ser Jorah laughed. "Look around you then, Khaleesi."

But it was not the plains Dany saw then. It was King's Landing and the great Red Keep that Aegon the Conqueror had built. It was Dragonstone where she had been born. In her mind's eye they burned with a thousand lights, a fire blazing in every window. In her mind's eye, all the doors were red.

It's Dragonstone.

Cressen heading into the Great Hall: the only place in the books that has red door.

Above, the comet blazed red and malevolent. I am too old and wise to fear such things, the maester told himself.

The doors to the Great Hall were set in the mouth of a stone dragon. He told the servants to leave him outside. It would be better to enter alone; he must not appear feeble. Leaning heavily on his cane, Cressen climbed the last few steps and hobbled beneath the gateway teeth. A pair of guardsmen opened the heavy red doors before him, unleashing a sudden blast of noise and light. Cressen stepped down into the dragon's maw.

Daenerys' dream:

"… wake the dragon …"

The door loomed before her, the red door, so close, so close, the hall was a blur around her, the cold receding behind. And now the stone was gone and she flew across the Dothraki sea, high and higher, the green rippling beneath, and all that lived and breathed fled in terror from the shadow of her wings. She could smell home, she could see it, there, just beyond that door, green fields and great stone houses and arms to keep her warm, there. She threw open the door.

Aegon's garden, on Dragonstone:

Aegon's Garden had a pleasant piney smell to it, and tall dark trees rose on every side. There were wild roses as well, and towering thorny hedges, and a boggy spot where cranberries grew.

Daenerys' vision:

I know this room, she thought. She remembered those great wooden beams and the carved animal faces that adorned them. And there outside the window, a lemon tree! The sight of it made her heart ache with longing.

The Sept of Dragonstone:

The burning gods cast a pretty light, wreathed in their robes of shifting flame, red and orange and yellow. Septon Barre had once told Davos how they'd been carved from the masts of the ships that had carried the first Targaryens from Valyria. Over the centuries, they had been painted and repainted, gilded, silvered, jeweled.

They were all afire now, Maid and Mother, Warrior and Smith, the Crone with her pearl eyes and the Father with his gilded beard; even the Stranger, carved to look more animal than human.

You got the red doors. You got the carved wood beams with animal faces. You got the garden, and the lemon tree that was probably once there when Elia lived in Dragonstone for a year has probably just been cut since to avoid reminding anyone of her murder. You have the stone houses and the green hills, as Westeros is literally called "the green lands" by some. It was Dragonstone, Daenerys has memories of living there which means she is older than she thinks or has someone else's memories.

7 hours ago, LynnS said:

The door and star connection is very interesting.  I'll add one:

Oooo I like that one. The Idea of the Red Door randomly struck me and idk why I never thought of it, cause I've known of Seba and Stars being linked to gateways and doorways as It always reminded me of the movie Stargate.

It seemed instantly to fit and be the missing piece in my head, as I see Daenerys as a homophone for Dayne Heiress, with House Dayne connected to Stars, and House Tarth. Whose Lord Even(Star) of Even(Fall) points to Starfall. Quiathe speaking through stars, etc. Oberyn shows up to K.L. with House Dalt of Lemonwood. Then in Quentyn's visit to Dany, I couldn't find any mention of their sigil, banners, or anything in those chapters. He's traveling mostly incognito with a small group and may not have coat of arms with them. Meaning the clue Dany needs, hasn't been revealed to her just yet.

3 hours ago, Egged said:

It's Dragonstone.

Cressen heading into the Great Hall: the only place in the books that has red door.

Daenerys' dream:

Aegon's garden, on Dragonstone:

Daenerys' vision:

The Sept of Dragonstone:

You got the red doors. You got the carved wood beams with animal faces. You got the garden, and the lemon tree that was probably once there when Elia lived in Dragonstone for a year has probably just been cut since to avoid reminding anyone of her murder. You have the stone houses and the green hills, as Westeros is literally called "the green lands" by some. It was Dragonstone, Daenerys has memories of living there which means she is older than she thinks or has someone else's memories.

Problem I have so far with Dragonstone, is that she left as a baby we are told. With Stannis taking Dragonstone, I don't see how she could be there later when she was old enough to remember stuff. Where as she could be in Dorne till she was old enough. 

1 hour ago, AlaskanSandman said:

Problem I have so far with Dragonstone, is that she left as a baby we are told. With Stannis taking Dragonstone, I don't see how she could be there later when she was old enough to remember stuff. Where as she could be in Dorne till she was old enough. 

The problem with Dany and Viserys being in Dorne is how do they end in Essos? If they were in Dorne somewhere why did Oberyn and Doran suddenly dump them in Essos? Why does Viserys have no knowledge of certain Dornish support for him?

Wherever they were it must have some connection to Braavos since the Sealord of Braavos was a witness to the marriage pact Williem Darry agreed with Oberyn (also would the Sealord freely be able to visit one of the regions of Westeros and not the capital). I think probably some Embassy of Braavos in another Free City or maybe a Braavosi outpost or town along the Coast near Pentos. It depends on how far north Lemon trees grow in Essos to limit their location.

The Rest. Well the number of times doors and Stars are mentioned next to each definitely seems a little high to be purely coincidental. I doubt anything much will come of it but well who knows.

3 hours ago, Thandros said:

The problem with Dany and Viserys being in Dorne is how do they end in Essos? If they were in Dorne somewhere why did Oberyn and Doran suddenly dump them in Essos? Why does Viserys have no knowledge of certain Dornish support for him?

Wherever they were it must have some connection to Braavos since the Sealord of Braavos was a witness to the marriage pact Williem Darry agreed with Oberyn (also would the Sealord freely be able to visit one of the regions of Westeros and not the capital). I think probably some Embassy of Braavos in another Free City or maybe a Braavosi outpost or town along the Coast near Pentos. It depends on how far north Lemon trees grow in Essos to limit their location.

The Rest. Well the number of times doors and Stars are mentioned next to each definitely seems a little high to be purely coincidental. I doubt anything much will come of it but well who knows.

Problem I have with Braavos in general, is they do not like the Dragons or support them. So even the Sea Lord of Braavos having any concern or care for the wedding or survival of two dragon seeds, seems unlikely.

Not the least, on how Daenerys got from Dorne or Westeros to Braavos where she possibly became connected to Viserys. A Targaryen should flee to Lys, Tyrosh, or Volantis. Not Braavos of all places. 

The Red Sun (Star) pierced by a spear, looks like a Red Comet metaphorically described. Just another nod to Azor Ahai in Dorne area along with House Dayne, and House Tarth. With Lord Even(star) of Even(Fall) pointing to Starfall, and House Dayne.

House Dayne having a sword forged from a falling star. A falling star would look kinda like a comet but faster moving. The dragons being compared to a flaming sword over the world, point to the flaming sword of Azor Ahai, and the Sword Dawn. With Quiathe speaking to Dany through the Stars. Oberyn showing up to K.L. with House Dalt of Lemonwood.

The Clues pointing Daenerys to Dorne and the Dayne Heiress, are a lot. Way too many to ignore imo. 

How and when she got to Braavos is a mystery, but I don't think there is much mystery regarding her connection to Dorne. Oberyn wanted to raise Dorne for Viserys in first year after Roberts rebellion, and having the Sea Lord witness a pact between Oberyn Martell and Willum Darry/ William Dustin.

With Oberyn having ties to Maester Walgrave, and Maester Walys through him, who was Maester to Winterfell. Points more to the idea that Willum Darry, was actually William Dustin. 

Who ever Dany's father is, her mother seems to be Ashara Dayne from Dorne. With Northmen protecting her, possibly though just cause Eddard liked Ashara so much, and doesn't approve of killing babies. So a Targaryen baby born on Ashara Dayne, would need to be protected possibly and or hidden.

Though a Stark/Dayne baby accidentally grabbed and mixed up with Rhaella's baby, is possible.

10 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

Problem I have with Braavos in general, is they do not like the Dragons or support them. So even the Sea Lord of Braavos having any concern or care for the wedding or survival of two dragon seeds, seems unlikely.

Not the least, on how Daenerys got from Dorne or Westeros to Braavos where she possibly became connected to Viserys. A Targaryen should flee to Lys, Tyrosh, or Volantis. Not Braavos of all places. 

Given that the Targaryens haven't had dragons in over a century by the end of the rebellion the Targaryens are little different from the Valyrian nobility of Volantis or elsewhere with a major difference they at least in part hold Westeros stanch opposition to chattel slavery. Dany herself confronted with the Horrors of slavery tries to put and end to it with little success. No doubt the Sea Lord thought that a grateful restored Targaryen dynasty would be strong allies against the Slave Cities in Essos.

Dany didn't have to travel to get to Viserys she was with Viserys the entire time. She's never been to Dorne of that much I'm certain.

The Clues pointing Daenerys to Dorne and the Dayne Heiress, are a lot. Way too many to ignore imo. 

No there is virtually none. The only serious 'clue' is a comparison by Barristan to Dany looking a little like Ashara's daughter. Given that Jorah thinks Dany looks like Lynesse surely she could Lynesse's daughter as well if it wasn't for the fact that Dany is Rhaella's daughter born on Dragonstone.

How and when she got to Braavos is a mystery, but I don't think there is much mystery regarding her connection to Dorne. Oberyn wanted to raise Dorne for Viserys in first year after Roberts rebellion, and having the Sea Lord witness a pact between Oberyn Martell and Willum Darry/ William Dustin.

The Targaryens have Dornish support isn't anything new. Also Willium Darry isn't William Dustin the two are distinct characters and there isn't some false identity stuff going on here.

With Oberyn having ties to Maester Walgrave, and Maester Walys through him, who was Maester to Winterfell. Points more to the idea that Willum Darry, was actually William Dustin. 

It doesn't. Maybe Maester Walgrave and Oberyn knew each other but nothing really connects onwards. Willum Darry was a known master of arms at the Red Keep. He can't suddenly become William Dustin after years of service to the Targaryens.

Who ever Dany's father is, her mother seems to be Ashara Dayne from Dorne. With Northmen protecting her, possibly though just cause Eddard liked Ashara so much, and doesn't approve of killing babies. So a Targaryen baby born on Ashara Dayne, would need to be protected possibly and or hidden.

Though a Stark/Dayne baby accidentally grabbed and mixed up with Rhaella's baby, is possible.

The only Northmen protecting Dany if Jorah who arrives years after the supposed arrangement would have occurred and nothing suggests Dany was born to Ashara Dayne. She's called Stormborn because she was born in such a massive Storm and Dorne simply doesn't get the Storms the Stormlands/ Narrow sea gets.

19 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

She was already there, born earlier, so she has memories of living there. Then Willem Darry took her and Visery when he fled to Essos. But basically, she is not the daughter of Rhaella. That, or she has memories of someone else who lived at Dragonstone.

1 minute ago, Egged said:

She would have left when Willem Darry took her, but she was already there, born earlier, so she has memories of living there.

She was born in 284 and taken that same year before Stannis arrived. Ive heard of people having memories at 2 or 3, but never as a new born infant.

4 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

She was born in 284 and taken that same year before Stannis arrived. Ive heard of people having memories at 2 or 3, but never as a new born infant.

Because she would have been older than she thinks. Instead of being essentially 0 years old, she would have been 2 or so. That, or she has someone else's memories, so it could be a Lump and Bump situation.

8 minutes ago, Egged said:

She was already there, born earlier, so she has memories of living there. Then Willem Darry took her and Visery when he fled to Essos. But basically, she is not the daughter of Rhaella. That, or she has memories of someone else who lived at Dragonstone.

Daenerys remembers living in the Red Door house until Willem Darry's death. She left the house without him.

I don't know the location of the house with the door but in Aug 2017 (ADWD published in 2011) he answered this:

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/15590

Q: How old was Daenerys when she left the house with the red door, was it located close to the palace of the Sealord of Braavos?

A: That's a interesting question. But I don't think I'm going to answer it. There's a certain revelation about the red door that will come into the books that I have yet to write. So we'll keep an eye to it.

Archived