R.I.P. Thread 2: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

26 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Peter Bogdanovich has passed.

A talented director who led a very colorful life. I highly recommend The Plot Thickens, a podcast hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, grandson of Herman Mankiewicz (aka Mank, the titular character from the Fincher movie), which did a deep dive on Bogdanovich's career through a lengthy series of interviews with him and others in his orbit.

The Last Picture is a tremendous film. 

Bogdanovich's career as a film historian also merits mentioning.  When I was really getting into film my mom got me Who the Devil Made It - a great and very accessible read.  Soon after I consumed most of his ~ dozen or so works.  Also, who can forget his invaluable role as Dr. Melfi's psychiatrist?  There was of course this encounter at Columbia with probably a parent...or, more likely, a repair man:

1 hour ago, Lermo T.I. Krrrammpus said:

RIP Bob Saget

When I saw this on my news feed I automatically spouted "Fuck! Shit! Mother fucking mother fucker!!!

Then I felt guilty for that. Then I thought, actually that's kind of a fitting tribute when learning of Bob's passing. The curses were aimed at Death, not Bob. I hate the bastard for going on these purges.

Bob Saget’s death is shocking, because everything suggests he was in good health, in the midst of a months-long tour. Tragic, and such a shame. And so soon after the death of his good friend Norm Macdonald.

RIP Bob. His thoughts following Norm’s death are no doubt echoed now by those who knew Bob, as well:

• 2 weeks later...

Meat Loaf has passed away, at the age of 74. A unique, larger-than-life character for many years, his Bat Out of Hell (songs written by his foundational collaborator Jim Steinman, who passed away in April) is one of the biggest albums in history. He made some memorable contributions to film -- an appearance in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, his role in Fight Club -- but it's really music where he made his mark. Of course, larger-in-life in music tends to also mean living excessively, and he did that, on an almost operatic scale -- singing until he collapsed and needed oxygen, drugs, sex, all of it. There was a period where he lost his voice for months, which was described as an entirely psychosomatic response to the stress he was putting himself under.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Meat Loaf has passed away, at the age of 74. 

Bummer... As I feared when I saw no cause of death was disclosed, he didn't die because of lifelong excesses of hard rocker lifestyle; he died because he was a pig-headed Texan. Sucks big time - specially for his family - to be most probably one of the last celebs to die from the covid pandemic :(

Edited by Clueless Northman

2 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

As I feared when I saw no cause of death was disclosed, he didn't die because of lifelong excesses of hard rocker lifestyle; he died because he was a pig-headed Texan.

Yeah that sucks.  "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" is still probably one of my all-time favorite music videos.  I remember watching it as a kid and being like "why the hell is he like phantom of the opera or beast from Beauty and the Beast?"  Don't think I've ever really been clear on that, but it just works.  Also probably the best thing Michael Bay has ever directed.

5 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Bummer... As I feared when I saw no cause of death was disclosed, he didn't die because of lifelong excesses of hard rocker lifestyle; he died because he was a pig-headed Texan. Sucks big time - specially for his family - to be most probably one of the last celebs to die from the covid pandemic :(

God damn it.

5 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Yep. What a waste. You’d think his daughter and son in law (Scott Ian from Anthrax) would have pressed him to protect himself.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:44 PM, Fury Resurrected said:

Yep. What a waste. You’d think his daughter and son in law (Scott Ian from Anthrax) would have pressed him to protect himself.

How do you know they didn't? They couldn't have forced him to do this just by "pressing" him.