R.I.P. Thread 2: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

4 hours ago, dog-days said:

David Warner's died. :crying: I loved his voice. Was lucky enough to see him act live on stage a couple of times around fifteen years ago after he began his live theatre comeback. 

RIP. He did a fine performance in a first season of Babylon 5, and of course was memorable in Tron. And he was a fantastic voice actor for Ra's al Ghul in Batman: The Animated Series. Sorry I never had the chance to see him on stage.

And RIP Paul Sorvino. 

Edited by Ran

27 minutes ago, Ran said:

RIP. He did a fine performance in a first season of Babylon 5, and of course was memorable in Tron. And he was a fantastic voice actor for Ra's al Ghul in Batman: The Animated Series. Sorry I never had the chance to see him on stage.

And RIP Paul Sorvino. 

Didn't mention it in my initial post since I'm pretty sure the man himself wouldn't have wanted it brought up, but a lot of the denizens of the video games thread will of course remember Warner as the voice of Jon Irenicus in Baldur's Gate 2. Another villain, but such a good one.

Michael Billington's recollections of him on stage

@TheLastWolf I hope your cricketer is as good as my actor. 

Edited by dog-days

36 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Him, Paulie Walnuts and Ray Liotta in the same cell together.

TV mobsters aren't doing to well lately.  Man he was great in Goodfellas.

James Caan too.  When Paulie/Sirico died I mentioned it was a bad time to be a mafia actor.  Freaky.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

James Caan too.  When Paulie/Sirico died I mentioned it was a bad time to be a mafia actor.  Freaky.

Thats a strong list for the Mt Rushmore of tv/movie mafia actors/characters and all gone so close together.

Caan, Sirico, Liotta and Sorvino

7 hours ago, dog-days said:

@TheLastWolf I hope your cricketer is as good as my actor. 

Oh he's brilliant, like most southpaws in sports are, just got in a ball tampering scandal (SandpaperGate) and is now mellow.

7 hours ago, dog-days said:

[Snip] just lost a fight against my elderly phone. Quoted/replied when I meant to edit. 

Happens a lot to me, that's why I try to be on the PC a lot

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Sirico had a bit part in Goodfellas as I recall. He’s present in one or two scenes from Henry Hills adolescence.

Yep he's one of the like dozen examples of this (off the top of my head Frank Vincent, Tony Lip, Larry Boy, Beansie, Carmella's mom, Vincent Pastore, and of course Bracco and Imperioli).

I don't know to what extent you young people watch reruns of my generation's childhood TV -- but Tony Dow, who played Wally on Leave It To Beaver, has died at age 77.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/26/entertainment/tony-dow-obit/index.html

Honestly I'm surprised he wasn't in his 80s-- his character sort of exemplified what being a teenager would be like for my contemporaries when we were in the upper elementary grades.  I feel sadder about his death than I have in any celebrity death in a while. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I don't know to what extent you young people watch reruns of my generation's childhood TV -- but Tony Dow, who played Wally on Leave It To Beaver, has died at age 77.

My mom just mentioned this to me about five minutes before I saw your post.  I didn't know who he was, but she said he was her first childhood crush.

32 minutes ago, DMC said:

It now appears Tony Dow is still alive...

Every other article/report says alive, dead, alive, dead.  I watched some reruns with him in it, liked him well enough.

On 7/26/2022 at 4:00 PM, DMC said:

It now appears Tony Dow is still alive...

Well, Tony Dow has now really died. It's really a bummer that someone who was evidently one of the more likeable people ever to be a Hollywood celebrity will now be remembered for having had his death announced a couple of days before it really happened, just because his very distraught wife sent someone a garbled message about him being in hospice care. I hope people refrain from making cruel jokes about that on social media. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/27/1113710777/leave-it-to-beaver-star-tony-dow-has-died