R.I.P. Thread 2: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Nichelle Nichols, Uhura, from the original Star Trek has passed.

:(

Sad, but wasn't her mental health declining with a row over her estate between her manager and her family?

I vaguely recall reading something like that a while ago.

On 7/31/2022 at 3:27 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Nichelle Nichols, Uhura, from the original Star Trek has passed.

:(

I had a huge crush on  her back when TOS was on TV. So sad and she was a huge role model. Being young white and male all the important stuff missed me. I just saw a beautiful woman.

23 hours ago, maarsen said:

I had a huge crush on  her back when TOS was on TV. So sad and she was a huge role model. Being young white and male all the important stuff missed me. I just saw a beautiful woman.

Same here, I saw it in reruns but all I saw was a hot woman in short dress! Which is also not good I guess since I sexualized her but oh well.

Well, every Star Trek series had at least one female character that was, let's say geared towards a male audience.

Just look at the first TNG episodes and the Uniform Marina Sirtis had to wear (they changed the it quite quick tho).

DS9 had action barbie Terry Farrell (and with lesser sceen time Chase Masterson)

Voyager Jeri Ryan. Personally, I found the way she was introduced a bit too much on the nose. And switching Lien for Ryan didn't solve any problems with Voyagers, but that's another age old rant.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Same here, I saw it in reruns but all I saw was a hot woman in short dress! Which is also not good I guess since I sexualized her but oh well.

Actually I noticed how often Shatner had his shirt off in the series and wondered why, being 12 at the time.

It's reported that Olivia Newton-John has died at age 73:

Olivia Newton-John, singer and actress, dead at 73 | Entertainment | omaha.com

Somehow I am more surprised by this one than most other celebrity deaths.  I liked her as an entertainer though I was never one of her biggest fans. She certainly helped start off the rise of the name Olivia, which is now in the top 5 for babies most places in the English-speaking world.

Edited by Ormond

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

RIP Wolfgang Petersen

Das Boot is a classic.

It is indeed. Amazing film. In The Line of Fire is also terrific. The NeverEnding Story is a classic 80s fantasy film. Air Force One was a great popcorn flick, super-90s. The rest of his filmography is more variable (including Troy :ack:) but just for Das Boot alone he'll be remembered.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

It is indeed. Amazing film. In The Line of Fire is also terrific. The NeverEnding Story is a classic 80s fantasy film. Air Force One was a great popcorn flick, super-90s. The rest of his filmography is more variable (including Troy :ack:) but just for Das Boot alone he'll be remembered.

In terms of directing, I don't think Troy is bad. The writing was its main weakness and we all know who wrote it.

Air Force One is among my favorite hostage scenario action films.

8 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

In terms of directing, I don't think Troy is bad. The writing was its main weakness and we all know who wrote it.

Not a fan of some of the casting, which Petersen signed off on, but then there were very good actors cast as well (Peter O'Toole was a terrific Priam). But yeah, the direction was fine (and sometimes more than fine -- Achilles storming the beach with the Myrmidons is brilliant).