R.I.P. Thread 2: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

17 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Didn't realize he also did Enemy Mine, somewhat underrated film imho.

It was not that well received, but I always loved it, especially Louis Gossett Jr.'s performance as Jerry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RIP.

She was the last tenuous thread connecting modern Britain to a lot of stuff the Brits are nostalgic for. Empire. Churchill. WW2. The greatest generation. Etc.

I'm tempted to avoid this story going forward out of sheer dread.

Idiotic hot takes from politicos and social media talking heads? 

How long until the English Tabloid press figure out a way to incorporate some "trash Meghan Markle" narrative into this story? You can bet those guns are being primed at the moment. They have clicks to get and papers to sell after all.

How is a royal funeral and coronation going to go down given the cost of living crisis in the UK right now? 

17 hours ago, DMC said:

Poor Bernard Shaw died on the wrong day.

Yes. When I first read this I thought you were referring to George Bernard Shaw. So for anyone else who may not immediately remember the accomplished man you are mentioning:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/08/media/bernard-shaw-obituary/index.html

On 9/8/2022 at 10:36 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

RIP.

She was the last tenuous thread connecting modern Britain to a lot of stuff the Brits are nostalgic for. Empire. Churchill. WW2. [b]The greatest generation[/b]. Etc.

I'm tempted to avoid this story going forward out of sheer dread.

Idiotic hot takes from politicos and social media talking heads? 

How long until the English Tabloid press figure out a way to incorporate some "trash Meghan Markle" narrative into this story? You can bet those guns are being primed at the moment. They have clicks to get and papers to sell after all.

How is a royal funeral and coronation going to go down given the cost of living crisis in the UK right now? 

Isn’t that term pretty much mostly an American one?

For those who don’t know/didn’t study film, Godard is pretty much considered to be THE father of the indie film/revival of auteurism. Breathless is almost universally named as a major influence by the filmmakers we most know and love, and as the film that let them know that you could operate outside the studio system, on a low budget, with a skeleton crew, and without consideration for commercial formulas and still produce an ~ equivalent film. I’ve had to sit through too many lectures and viewings to really enjoy the film that much, personally…not as bad as Eisenstein, but along those lines…but it’s a giant upon whose shoulders many better known directors have since stood. 

Edited by James Arryn

I didn’t even see that Peter Straub died last week until today. I read The Talisman and Black House in my younger days when I was in my Dark Tower phase, and remember loving them both. Ghost Story was probably what he’s most known for and is another good one. I might have to do some rereads. RIP

• 2 weeks later...

WTF. Hilary Mantel has died. This is a shit week. I thought she was younger than seventy and imagined she'd be around and busy writing and providing social commentary for decades. 

The Thursday before last saw the premature and very sad death of fiddle-player and all-round lovely bloke Paul Sartin.

Edited by dog-days

The way she wrote of the death of Cromwell’s wife/daughters was among the most memorable and visceral I have ever read. Very much captured that sense of how we take loved ones for granted until it’s too late without having to explain that’s what she was saying, thus keeping it feeling real. 

Edited by James Arryn