R.I.P. Thread 2: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Louise Fletcher has passed away.

Probably best known as either Nurse Ratched or as Kai Winn.

One of the greatest antagonists of all time. Her picture comes up when you Google the word. 

On 9/24/2022 at 8:45 AM, Corvinus85 said:

Fletcher's casting in DS9 was one of the amazing mysteries to me. SF TV shows of the 90s usually didn't include Oscar winners among their cast members.

Lets not forget Whoopi though....

Sad to hear about Louise Fletcher's death. Cant say her character was my favorite on DS9, but thats all the more credit to her portrayal of Kai Winn.

What a legend. She also raised John Wayne's blood pressure to the point where he came "that close" to beating up a woman on live Tee Vee. Not his most galant moment. 

They were all drunk off their asses or tripping balls anyway. Robert Wagner is pouring sweat and Natalie Wood can't even see straight. And you can bet the jacket on this asshole got the duke's blood raging before Sacheen even hit the stage. 

Loretta Lynn has died at age 90.

Loretta Lynn, coal miner's daughter and country queen, dies at 90 (omaha.com)

Even though I am not much of a country music fan, after loving the film Coal Miner's Daughter years ago I've always had fond feelings for Loretta Lynn. She certainly was a trailblazer for women in her genre of music.

Angela Lansbury has passed away at 96 years of age. I'm of an age where Murder, She Wrote was something I wasn't interested in but it was very present on television and I don't know often I paused for a minute or two on it as a kid before moving on to try and find a cartoon. More significantly for my memories of her was Beauty and the Beast, and her beautifully sweet and poignant rendition of its main song:

Her first Academy award nomination (of 3; she never won, but did get an Honorary Award in 2014) was for the 1944 film Gaslight... which happens to the source of the word "gaslighting" (it itself was based on a play, "Gas Light", but the film was much more well known). 

She was also excellent in The Picture of Dorian Gray and especially in The Manchurian Candidate (her other two Academy Award nominations.)

Edited by Ran

Angela Lansbury's death does make me very sad. It feels like she's been part of my life almost in the same way as Queen Elizabeth II was -- a famous British woman who's always there in the background of my mind. I suppose it's fitting that they died at the same age so close to each other. In addition to "Murder She Wrote" and her Disney work, I remember often seeing clips of her playing Mrs. Lovett in the musical "Sweeney Todd". I will miss her.