R.I.P. Thread 2: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

3 hours ago, Ran said:

RIP, Pelé. The man who made football "The Beautiful Game". The most popular goals reel has some rather annoying music, but some great moments from back in the day.

I've watched this a few times now, so thank you, Ran. 

It reminds me of early Gretzky. Just, all these players used to how things were and this phenom comes along and changes everything. 

Even the goal tenders in some of those shots were stationary observers, just, what the fuck thought bubbles everywhere. Absolutely befuddled by what they just saw lol

On 12/31/2022 at 6:05 AM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Also former pope Joseph Ratzinger aka Benedict XVI has died. Not a fan of his.

OK, I'm going to be a curmudgeon again and say this does NOT belong in the Rest in Peace thread in "Entertainment".  I'm not sure the reference to Greg Bear did either -- the Pope should be in an RIP thread in General Chatter and Bear should be in an RIP thread in Literature, IMHO. 

On 12/29/2022 at 8:21 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Pele might be the first sports figure I ever had any real awareness of as a child; and I don't even follow soccer.  

My introduction to him was in Victory, the POW movie. Still the only soccer movie I have ever seen, not my sport.

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I saw that a number of times a long time ago. I'm afraid to rewatch it because I have good memories and I don't want them ruined.

Same here. Hadn't thought of it since then and also don't want to ruin the old memories!

On 1/3/2023 at 4:29 AM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I saw that a number of times a long time ago. I'm afraid to rewatch it because I have good memories and I don't want them ruined.

you should, just for Sylvester Stallone being the worst goal keeper in the history of the world.