R.I.P. Thread 2: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

On 1/11/2023 at 10:32 PM, Myshkin said:

We lost Jeff Beck today. A genuine guitar god. If you want to have your face melted (or want to hear Rod Stewart as an honest-to-god rock star) go listen to Truth or Beck-Ola

been listening to blow by blow over and over for the last couple weeks.  fuck, man.  

pretty cool rundown of how unique of a guitar player he was:

Raquel the definition of iconic.

Aged so gracefully, I cant count how many times I heard the comments of disbelief that she could maintain such beauty for decades.

She was the finest of fine wines, call it fountain of youth, age defying or whatever you may, she had a certain magnetism that was legendary and it spanned a generation.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

• 2 weeks later...

Traute Lafrenz (or Lafrenz-Page if you want to pick her married name) has died at the ripe age of 103).

She was the last living member of the German resistance group "White Rose" around Sophie and Hans Scholl.

Robert Blake has passed away at the age of 89. Maybe best known (as an actor) for his run on the eponymous detective show Baretta and for his role in the neo-noir dramatization of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, but more infamously he was involved in a high-profile murder case at the turn of the century when his much-younger wife was shot and killed in their car while waiting for him to return from a restaurant where he said he was retrieving a pistol he had left behind. A lack of forensic evidence (the gun he retrieved from the restaurant did not match the one used to murder her, and he had no gunpowder residue on his hands) and doubts cast on claims by two former stuntmen that Blake had tried to hire them to kill his wife led to his being acquitted, but he ended up losing a big civil suit from her children some time after that.

A few months ago someone shared a clip from the gritty cop film Busting starring Blake, a pretty well-shot foot chase that's peak 70s in its style:

Yeah I saw he passed yesterday and thought about posting but got tied up. I do remember seeing Baretta reruns as a kid and enjoying them somewhat. The latter story of his life is how I remember him though.