R.I.P. Thread 2: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

• 2 weeks later...

Once Upon a Time in America is one of my favorite films and he had a supporting role in it. He was also the lead for Deep Rising, not the greatest film ever, but he was good in it. I'll have to check out more of his work. 

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

The Phantom was a staple of my childhood and Treat Williams was great over-the-top fun as the villain in that. Otherwise I'll probably mostly remember him from his very memorable turn in Things to do in Denver when you're dead

RiP, Critical Bill

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 11:52 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Julian Sands' remains found by hikers.  He apparently disappeared back in January.

I would like to point out that it hasn't been confirmed yet. That being said, I've been loosely following the story since about a week after his disappearance and eventually it became clear that there wasn't much hope. Especially since the area got hit multiple times by a lot of snow hampering search efforts.

Alan Arkin has passed away. Lots of tributes out there, so linked Variety's. Most recently watched him in Michael Douglas's series "The Kominsky Method", which (fittingly) features his character having died between the 2nd and 3rd season, and the show spends a lot of time around the aftermath of his death. He had a great dead-pan and could do sardonic with the best. That said, I admit it's silly, but one of my favorite roles of his was in Mike Myer's So I Married An Axe Murderer, playing a really nice and sweet police precinct captain... who finds his subordinate wanting him to play the tough, no-nonsense, demanding boss:

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Alan Arkin has passed away. Lots of tributes out there, so linked Variety's. Most recently watched him in Michael Douglas's series "The Kominsky Method", which (fittingly) features his character having died between the 2nd and 3rd season, and the show spends a lot of time around the aftermath of his death. He had a great dead-pan and could do sardonic with the best. That said, I admit it's silly, but one of my favorite roles of his was in Mike Myer's So I Married An Axe Murderer, playing a really nice and sweet police precinct captain... who finds his subordinate wanting him to play the tough, no-nonsense, demanding boss:

She stole my heart and my cat.

I’d forgotten about that one, the inverted tv/movie cop boss, my mind went to stuff like Glengarry Glen Ross (unsure on spelling here), Grosse Point Blank and this even older movie whose name escapes me, but it starred an older Audrey Hepburn as a blind woman and Arkin as this really chilling villain. Fantastic character actor who sometimes headlined. Oh, just remembered another shrink role, Freud in a….wanna say 60’s or 70’s film of the great novel The Seven Per Cent Solution. 

38 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

but it starred an older Audrey Hepburn as a blind woman and Arkin as this really chilling villain.

Wait Until Dark!

Yeah, all of those are great. He's such a loser in Glengarry Glen Ross. And there's Little Miss Sunshine, too. 

But just the absurdity of the premise of his role in So I Married... (and indeed the absurdity of the whole film) just tickles me. Besides Myers' hilarious beat poetry, there's also his Scottish family, playing the father himself:

• 3 weeks later...