What is the asoiaf-fanbase called?

Falcon2909

I used to belong to an all female book club where we discussed all things ASOAIF, made baked goods with a ASOIAF theme (some awesome chick made a cake shaped like Riverrun, for example), and other distaff arts and crafts.  We called ourselves the Martinistas.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:29 PM, Curled Finger said:

Joe Magician calls us Ass Waffles.   That's a play on Asoif pronounciation as a word.   Sounds French like Asswof.   I think we are just a bunch of nerds who were gobsmacked by a truly great tale.  

This. Kind of like the fandom calling the world of Ice and Fire, Planetos. That is never mentioned the text (as far as I know). But when The Martin was asked what the world should/would be called, he said Earth. And in fact (I think), doesn't the text itself make this designation, calling the world "Earth"?

This should be an interesting topic! :fencing:

14 minutes ago, Back in Black-Snow said:

This. Kind of like the fandom calling the world of Ice and Fire, Planetos. That is never mentioned the text (as far as I know). But when The Martin was asked what the world should/would be called, he said Earth. And in fact (I think), doesn't the text itself make this designation, calling the world "Earth"?

This should be an interesting topic! :fencing:

I have read back through this topic a couple of times to be certain @Jaenara Belarysis good with my bad explanation and to let @Seamsknow I'm watching Joe Magician on youtube now and the 1st thing he spoke about was the Ass Waffle shirt.  Get some, Girl!   

I think what it all comes down to is how WE identify with this writing.   Does it matter we have our own language or understand an entire glossary of history and myth and lineages and acronyms?   I think it does.  It doesn't matter what anyone else calls us.  Outside the universe and I do mean the books a person can't understand the brilliance here.   Their loss.   More for us.  Get to posting all the things you want to discuss.  That's what we are ALL here for, Brother.   

Just now, Curled Finger said:

I have read back through this topic a couple of times to be certain @Jaenara Belarysis good with my bad explanation and to let @Seamsknow I'm watching Joe Magician on youtube now and the 1st thing he spoke about was the Ass Waffle shirt.  Get some, Girl!   

Mesa Jar Jar Binks understand now. 

Just now, Jaenara Belarys said:

Indeed. (Imagine Jar Jar in Mordor.....he'd have a nervous breakdown). 

Undoubtedly.  I cheated a bit in choosing my location, it's lyric from a Led Zeppelin song.  On the darkest steps of Mordor I met a girl so fair...Great song.   

19 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I think what it all comes down to is how WE identify with this writing.   Does it matter we have our own language or understand an entire glossary of history and myth and lineages and acronyms?   I think it does.  It doesn't matter what anyone else calls us.  Outside the universe and I do mean the books a person can't understand the brilliance here.   Their loss.   More for us.  Get to posting all the things you want to discuss.  That's what we are ALL here for, Brother.   

I completely agree! Sorry if my previous post indicated otherwise.

Sometimes I can be long-winded and lose sight of what I originally set out to say. Forgive me if I did that.

Often-times people who know me will ask my opinion about something, but they give me a time/word limit ("In 50 words or less", or "Under 5 minutes"). Because they know I tend to rant or get off-topic. Lol

2 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

What on Earth do you have against Jar Jar? He's the nicest guy in all of Star Wars. 

I hear modern advanced interrogation techniques involve putting videos of his clips on repeat to those poor, poor prisoners. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I hear modern advanced interrogation techniques involve putting videos of his clips on repeat to those poor, poor prisoners. 

He isn't that bad. He's a wholesome character and wasn't he the first Gungan to serve in the Senate? 

sidenote, out of curiosity which of the new Star Wars films was your favorite (The Force Awakens, Rogue One, TJL, ROTJ) ?

3 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

He isn't that bad. He's a wholesome character and wasn't he the first Gungan to serve in the Senate? 

sidenote, out of curiosity which of the new Star Wars films was your favorite (The Force Awakens, Rogue One, TJL, ROTJ) ?

Pft. People confess to the most horrible things after a few days of that!

Tbh, I kinda checked out of the franchise after Last Jedi. Haven't even watched anything since that. Maybe it's just different from what I grew up with, maybe I just outgrew it, maybe Luke drinking alien breast milk fresh from the teat ruined everything for me, but the magic just wasn't there for me anymore. It just seems more about putting as many flashy movies and spinoffs out there as they can to put butts in the seats and make a buck than about telling a compelling story. 

On 1/9/2022 at 9:18 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

What on Earth do you have against Jar Jar? He's the nicest guy in all of Star Wars. 

Master Jaenara, I think Jar Jar is a *sith lord*.  (I think he actually was intended to be one). 

On 1/9/2022 at 9:34 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Tbh, I kinda checked out of the franchise after Last Jedi. Haven't even watched anything since that. Maybe it's just different from what I grew up with, maybe I just outgrew it, maybe Luke drinking alien breast milk fresh from the teat ruined everything for me, but the magic just wasn't there for me anymore. It just seems more about putting as many flashy movies and spinoffs out there as they can to put butts in the seats and make a buck than about telling a compelling story. 

The thing I feel about the Sequel Trilogy is that it's just bad movies that never intended to do anything with SW but make money. I mean, to me, all three movies are bad, but so are the prequels, yet I like the prequels. Those 3 films have a heart beating behind, even thou they aren't that good (altou ROTS would be pretty good anyways). The new trilogy is like:even bigger lasergun go brrrrrr, even bigger spacecrafts go brrrrr, etc... The saddest part is how the single film that actually intended to do something is the worst one, The Last Jedi. I'm nowhere near a huge SW, just a simple guy being entertained by it, but I could tell immediately when they retconned something to just create tension, and that should turn off anyone watching with a little bit of brain. Things unheard of for thousands of years in an ultramodern society suddenly became possible just so our poor rebels can get into a more desperate situation. This, and that the development and sacrafices of Anakin and Luke being completely destroyed. The only thing that still makes me a lil angry is how critics were praising the films (especially TLJ). 

1 hour ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

How's he supposed to know that Palpatine is Darth Sidious? After all, Palpatine fooled even Yoda. 

The trickery of Darth Sidious may have fooled the Jedi Council and it's arrogant members, but not someone familiar with the true nature of the dark side.

Just now, Daeron the Daring said:

The trickery of Darth Sidious may have fooled the Jedi Council and it's arrogant members, but not someone familiar with the true nature of the dark side.

Jar Jar was exiled after he broke the bosses' heyblibber again, and went to live in the swamps. Why would Palpatine go to the swamps? Why would he look for Jar Jar? Why would Jar Jar help Qui Gon if he's a Sith?

Archived