Will resurrected Jon be able to get an erection?

Odej

1 hour ago, Odej said:

He seems to lose consciousness the moment he was hit by the fourth time. He may have just passed out instead of dying, but we don't know if the blows stopped there. Hm, I don't know. To be honest, I think the possibility that he was only injured would be an act of cowardice on the part of the writer.

I would argue killing Jon, only to ressurect him, would be an act of authorial cowardice. Especially since we already have another pov brought back from the dead. If you kill a popular character off, it should mean something. Jon dying, and then coming back, makes his death rather pointless.

18 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

Why do you say its bad writing if Jon was just injured? Getting life threatening wounds, but surviving them seems just like a cliffhanger put in for dramatic effect and to keep the readers hooked.

For a number of reasons, but the main one is:

Martin has complained more than once about how common in fiction it is for characters to be often placed in life-threatening situations, but we never really fear for them because they are heroes and heroes always get saved. He wants his story to be different, he wants us to fear for his characters, and he wants his characters suffer the consequences for their actions. Even if Martin doesn't always do it - cough cough Tyrion cough cough.

And while leaving a seriously injured character at the end of a play to continue to reveal that he survived is a recurring cliffhanger, he's not always consistent.

1 hour ago, Nathan Stark said:

I would argue killing Jon, only to ressurect him, would be an act of authorial cowardice. Especially since we already have another pov brought back from the dead. If you kill a popular character off, it should mean something. Jon dying, and then coming back, makes his death rather pointless.

If he were to be resurrected and go back to exactly the way he was before I would agree with you, but the way Martin brought another character back from the dead is precisely why, for me, Jon's return it's a good choice. Catelyn was completely changed in character when she was resurrected, her role in the story has changed drastically and this is a possibility that I find very interesting to apply to Jon.

Jon dealing with the chaos that must reign on the Wall after his death, the succession crisis of Winterfell, his true origin, Daenerys and the threat of the Others with the tormented mind of someone who has passed through death and returned is something that makes me very excited for the next book.

Martin said The Winds of Winter will have a lot of dark chapters, Jon should be one of the characters that should provide that. I know to many readers this reasons aren't enough, but I loved.

28 minutes ago, Odej said:

For a number of reasons, but the main one is:

Martin has complained more than once about how common in fiction it is for characters to be often placed in life-threatening situations, but we never really fear for them because they are heroes and heroes always get saved. He wants his story to be different, he wants us to fear for his characters, and he wants his characters suffer the consequences for their actions. Even if Martin doesn't always do it - cough cough Tyrion cough cough.

And while leaving a seriously injured character at the end of a play to continue to reveal that he survived is a recurring cliffhanger, he's not always consistent.

I dunno, we have had a lot of characters die with no return, catelyn and beric have already been resurrected. Jon just  being injured would be a refreshing change. 

And I agree about tyrion.

1 hour ago, Apoplexy said:

Jon just  being injured would be a refreshing change. 

I don't think so, I mentioned Tyrion because it happens to him constantly, but asoiaf isn't strange to put characters in likely death situations in which they left only injuried. Brienne, Theon, Asha, Sandor, Jon himself, Sam, are some examples. It's happens a lot with Arya too, and her case it's as bad as Tyrion, or worst, since she is child. The things she went through in ACOK...

12 hours ago, Odej said:

I don't think so, I mentioned Tyrion because it happens to him constantly, but asoiaf isn't strange to put characters in likely death situations in which they left only injuried. Brienne, Theon, Asha, Sandor, Jon himself, Sam, are some examples. It's happens a lot with Arya too, and her case it's as bad as Tyrion, or worst, since she is child. The things she went through in ACOK...

Westeros is portrayed as an extremely dangerous place, especially during war times. So characters will require some plot armor to survive, otherwise everyone will likely be dead unless in an extremely safe situation. For me, having characters be wounded and not dead doesn't seem that jarring. But not dying from your wounds seems mundane to me, having too many resurrected characters seems convenient.

As for Arya, yeah it's terrible. I am hoping the toll it takes on her psyche will be addressed.

19 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

And I thought that the Stark Hate group a a relatively "recent" phenomenon. Look at me, I look like Chandler and Karl on Mr. Beast's channel. 

I guess "haters gonna hate" may as well be ancient wisdom at this point. 

1 hour ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

And I thought that the Stark Hate group a a relatively "recent" phenomenon. Look at me, I look like Chandler and Karl on Mr. Beast's channel. 

57 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I guess "haters gonna hate" may as well be ancient wisdom at this point. 

I remember the "Sansa: Portrait of a psycopath" thread from way back when. Sansa and Catelyn have always been divisive characters. I guess people just don't like redheads?

At that time thoigh, I remember it was Danaerys who was constantly getting hated on, more than anyone else. I didn't love that any more than the endless Stark hate these days.

I remember the "Sansa: Portrait of a psycopath" thread from way back when. Sansa and Catelyn have always been divisive characters. I guess people just don't like redheads?

I prefer my blonds before my redheads. 

At that time thoigh, I remember it was Danaerys who was constantly getting hated on, more than anyone else. I didn't love that any more than the endless Stark hate these days.

Well, that don't sound nice. Were the Dany haters similar to our modern Stark haters?

Archived