Nagga was a normal dragon and I think Iron islands are volcanic.

Wolfcrow

14 minutes ago, Forward-Speaker-5979 said:

But now please be open minded and put your tinfoil hat on.

"And when battle was joined upon the shores, mighty kings and famous warriors fell before the reavers like wheat before a scythe, in such numbers that the men of the green lands told each other that the ironborn were demons risen from some watery hell, protected by fell sorceries and possessed of foul black weapons that drank the very souls of those they slew."

"Dragonbone is black because of its high iron content, the book told him. It is strong as steel, yet lighter and far more flexible, and of course utterly impervious to fire."

If they had the skeleton, i think, they put it in a good use and made weapons. They still use dragonbone for this purpose, Dothraki use it in their bows and it's expensive as shit.

That quote you provided always made me think of Valyrian steel, which seems to require blood sacrifice. Also, I don't know if Lightbringer was the same as Valyrian steel or even similar, but Nissa Nissa's "blood, soul, strength, and courage went into the steel of the sword."

I have always assumed that dragon fire is necessary for the forging of Valyrian steel, but maybe its dragon bones that are an essential ingredient, and how they get the dark color.

21 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

If they had the skeleton, i think, they put it in a good use and made weapons. They still use dragonbone for this purpose, Dothraki use it in their bows and it's expensive as shit.

Thinking more, though, there is also the black oily stone in Asshai and elsewhere that drinks the light. There's a similar description for Shade-of-the-Evening tree bark. Now, drinking the light may not be the same as drinking souls, but it's possible. Certainly there is a cursed, sorcerous feel to both of those substances (incidentally, Crowfood's Daughter argues that the oily black stone is simply petrified Shade trees).

Also, it was a Dothraki who described the Shade tree as drinking light, in a warning to Dany. That reminded me that Dothraki are very suspicious about magic, which probably includes magical relics. It could be that dragon bones on their own are harmless, and are made magical via a forging spell. Either that, or we should be looking toward more intrinsically magical raw ingredients, like the Shade bark, as crucial for these cursed soul-drinking swords.

1 hour ago, Forward-Speaker-5979 said:

I have a tinfoily theory about the dragonbone btw.

The bones we have it's ship skeleton not Naggas, for sure. Actually it makes perfect sense to name the ship after Nagga symbolicaly and the story mushed together after. It was Nagga's (ship) boning, not Nagga's (dragon) ribbs.

If the stories about the crown and the hall are true, i am guessing they were black. House Greyiron's sigil is a depiction of the sea king and tbh, im betting it's Grey king before he turned fully grey and he has a black crown, not a white one. And the living fire it's kinda sus for a sea dragon. For these I am quite sure.

But now please be open minded and put your tinfoil hat on.

Love the quote--used to wonder if these foul black weapons weren't Valyrian Steel.   Also got to thinking The Grey King actually had grayscale.  All in good fun.  

1 hour ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

there is also the black oily stone in Asshai and elsewhere that drinks the light

This always makes me think of the La Brea Tar Pts and bitumen that has become hardened. Natural asphault and one of the wonders made by man - the black roads of Valyria.  A relic of a lost civilization.

2 minutes ago, LynnS said:

This always makes me think of the La Brea Tar Pts and bitumen that has become hardened. Natural asphault and one of the wonders made by man - the black roads of Valyria.  A relic of a lost civilization.

Hmmm, interesting. I'm thinking the oily black stone references are at least partially GRRM dropping some love for H.P. Lovecraft's stories and the larger Cthulu mythos. But, that said, I don't know what inspired Lovecraft to write about his oily black stones. At the very least, it conjures the feeling of lost, and cursed, civilizations.

7 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

That quote you provided always made me think of Valyrian steel, which seems to require blood sacrifice. Also, I don't know if Lightbringer was the same as Valyrian steel or even similar, but Nissa Nissa's "blood, soul, strength, and courage went into the steel of the sword."

I have always assumed that dragon fire is necessary for the forging of Valyrian steel, but maybe its dragon bones that are an essential ingredient, and how they get the dark color.

Valyrian steel seems like metal when reforged, but we don't know what they do to it, so maybe you need dragonbone. Or (this is the material engineer speaking and I'm probably not right, but it's a thought) Valyrian steel, is biomimetic of some short. The first onesor at least some, could be dragonbone, but how easy is to have so much bone,without killing the dragons? Not easy I guess, so they,maybe, tried to recreate the properties of dragonbone with a meterial they had and magic. And this is how dragoonsteel and Valyrian steel was made.

7 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Thinking more, though, there is also the black oily stone in Asshai and elsewhere that drinks the light. There's a similar description for Shade-of-the-Evening tree bark. Now, drinking the light may not be the same as drinking souls, but it's possible. Certainly there is a cursed, sorcerous feel to both of those substances (incidentally, Crowfood's Daughter argues that the oily black stone is simply petrified Shade trees).

Also, it was a Dothraki who described the Shade tree as drinking light, in a warning to Dany. That reminded me that Dothraki are very suspicious about magic, which probably includes magical relics. It could be that dragon bones on their own are harmless, and are made magical via a forging spell. Either that, or we should be looking toward more intrinsically magical raw ingredients, like the Shade bark, as crucial for these cursed soul-drinking swords.

The petrified shade is a good theory and Amanda indeed has some great ideas about it. But my question is, why the oily stone is always connected with underwater? Even the colouring it's watery and dark, why? I think water playsa bigger role that what fans think.It is fire and ice, yes, but in the middle it's water and as we continue ironborns and water plays a bigger role too. Plus we have the bless him with stone line, i don't know if all of this is from shade trea, like you need A HUGE amount of wood, how many are they? Except, if Ulthos is indeed all shade. Something is fishy here...

6 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Love the quote--used to wonder if these foul black weapons weren't Valyrian Steel.   Also got to thinking The Grey King actually had grayscale.  All in good fun.  

About Grey King i don't think so, I think he was a Patch figure. BUT Blackskin sounds like he had grey scale and in general grey scale sounds like a protection and there are many parallels with armors. 

5 hours ago, LynnS said:

The problem with oily,is that we cannot understand what it means 100%, for us to picture it. It could be greasy, but I doubt it. My guess is that it's non porous stone (interlocking grains which leave no space for moisture) like granite, slate or marble. If wet they look like the water glides off,like it has oil on. But if the rock sucks the light, it has to not be reflective so I don't know about bitumen like. I imagine it more like black slate. Dragonglass/obsidian is a material that has properties, maybe it's a another rock with properties. 

28 minutes ago, Forward-Speaker-5979 said:

Something is fishy here...

Nice that you can pull off puns in your second language!

I agree that water plays a significant role. Or, some sort of mimesis on the part of the weirwood species, some sort of ability to adapt to different elemental surroundings, including water (not to mention blood-bonding with certain life forms). Need to give that some more thought.

1 minute ago, Forward-Speaker-5979 said:

The problem with oily,is that we cannot understand what it means 100%, for us to picture it. It could be greasy, but I doubt it. My guess is that it's non porous stone (interlocking grains which leave no space for moisture) like granite, slate or marble. If wet they look like the water glides off,like it has oil on. But if the rock sucks the light, it has to not be reflective so I don't know about bitumen like. I imagine it more like black slate. Dragonglass/obsidian is a material that has properties, maybe it's a another rock with properties. 

Asshai has structures made of oily black stone as well.  Perhaps magic is involved and maybe the Asshai wizards, sorcerers or whatever passes for lords constructed these roads ages past.  Maybe the influence of Asshai extended well beyond it's current borders at one time.  In which case, does that tell us anything about about the original AA prophecy originating in Asshai and what was their involvement in the first long night, if any.  Did the shadow that covered the land have something to do with Asshai? :dunno:  

22 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Asshai has structures made of oily black stone as well.  Perhaps magic is involved and maybe the Asshai wizards, sorcerers or whatever passes for lords constructed these roads ages past.  Maybe the influence of Asshai extended well beyond it's current borders at one time.  In which case, does that tell us anything about about the original AA prophecy originating in Asshai and what was their involvement in the first long night, if any.  Did the shadow that covered the land have something to do with Asshai? :dunno:  

This is a map I made for a future post I want to make and it could be even larger than that, considering the shadowlands have some weird ass hybrids. 

1 hour ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I agree that water plays a significant role. Or, some sort of mimesis on the part of the weirwood species, some sort of ability to adapt to different elemental surroundings, including water (not to mention blood-bonding with certain life forms). Need to give that some more thought.

Yes, shade and weirwoods for that matter are very sus. Also in thotu where we have shade trees, we also have this: "The palace's door is a tall oval mouth set in a wall fashioned in the likeness of a human face." is very similar to the black gate and both of them have a specific way to open them and pass through them. 

Nice that you can pull off puns in your second language!

Dammit I have a great pun answer to that, but it's in greek. Thanks though!

1 hour ago, Forward-Speaker-5979 said:

This is a map I made for a future post I want to make and it could be even larger than that, considering the shadowlands have some weird ass hybrids. 

I love maps!  I think Qaarth is an old outpost of Asshai and specifically the House of Undying is connected to Asshai or has it's origins in that region.  The fact ghost grass has begun to grow there is another connection,

Archived