UK Politics: Testing, testing, one two free

polishgenius

A line in the sand with the Tories is don't fuck with the Queen, especially around the time of a royal death.

Divided opinions on the news. Several commentators saying Boris can ride this out, but others saying no chance, especially citing the Telegraph turning against him fully, which is really bad news. The only debate is over his replacement.

The Truss momentum from a few weeks ago seems to have died down, so Sunak seems to be the favourite again.

2 hours ago, A wilding said:

Another day, another new leak about a lockdown party.

But this one was organised by the head of the government's Anti-Covid Taskforce!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-60001927

The off-licenses near Downing Street must be minted!

The thing about this entire scandal is, it's all so utterly predictable.

Like, of course Boris Johnson was quite happy to do (and allow other to do) things behind doors that he was telling the rest of us not to do. Of course  he indulged a culture where work and leisure boundaries were blurred and sitting around drinking was 'work' so long as you mentioned a work-related topic every now and then. Of course everyone kept quiet about it until it was to their advantage to leak it. Of course Johnson is now planning to chuck his staff under a bus to save himself. And of course Johnson doesn't think he did anything wrong.

If anyone out there didn't see something like this series of events coming when they voted for Johnson and is now shocked to their core to discover that not only he but his whole cabinet and his closest political advisers are self-serving unprincipled arrogant twits, it's because they closed their eyes and ears when everyone who has ever met Boris Johnson told them so.

I am amazed that this is a big scandal.  I have no idea if there was ever a news story of Trump and his entourage violating quarantine rules, but if there was, I don't remember.  It surely would have been no more than the tenth most outrageous thing he did that week.

So I guess British democracy hasn't fallen as far as I'd imagined.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I can't see how Boris can survive this. It's utterly preposterous, with both the left wing and right wing press unleashing their full firepower against him.

Depends, is immunity from shame a thing in the UK now too?

22 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I am amazed that this is a big scandal.  I have no idea if there was ever a news story of Trump and his entourage violating quarantine rules, but if there was, I don't remember.  It surely would have been no more than the tenth most outrageous thing he did that week.

So I guess British democracy hasn't fallen as far as I'd imagined.

Keep in mind we haven't faced restrictions like our Eurocommie friends. Trump & Co. did shit like this all the time, but they weren't imposing strict measures on the public. Frankly they were kind of winking to the public that it was no big deal.

52 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not necessarily, but it's certainly a Boris thing and always has been.

Then I'd guess the safer bet is to assume it wont affect him now. Shame is the only thing that's going to make him step down.

I think almost everyone, including him, knows he won't be the PM who is leading the Conservatives into the next election. The only question is when will the knives come out? I think all the realistic contenders want this pandemic business to be over with before they make their move, and they would like any other Brexit "benefits" to be over and done with and all blamed on Johnson. Then they can be the one who says they will clean up the mess, which they totally did not play any part in creating.

Archived