UK Politics: Testing, testing, one two free

polishgenius

We dropped our broadcasting fee about 30 years ago, but still retained a public broadcaster with a public service mandate that waxed and waned depending on who was in govt. But there was always a significant public backlash whenever ideas of selling the services off to private business was raised.

Our public radio station is ad free, so fully govt funded. However the TV is a mix of public funding and advertiser revenue. Much of the public funding is in fact competitively sourced with an independent funding agency having a budget to fund various types of content based on proposals that can be submitted by any broadcaster or production company. So a lot of the private broadcasters obtain public funding to produce and broadcast local content. Setting up a govt funding agency with certain mandates could be sufficient on its own to support public access / public service radio and TV, but the public appetite isn't there to privatise the state radio and TV broadcaster so it hasn't happened, and probably won't happen. I think the pro-privatisation parties realise that as soon as a left-of centre govt comes along they would set up a state broadcaster, so there's not a lot of point in pushing privatisation when they are in govt.

Privatising the healthcare system is actually a lot easier, because it's very difficult to re-nationalise healthcare, and it is impossible to build an entirely new public health system. So I would be much more wary of moves that bring health care privatisation closer than of eliminating the broadcasting fee.

I've been enjoying so much the content from Australia and New Zealand that has shown up since pandemic.  I've particularly enjoyed the landscapes and sunshine and bright colors -- so different from both the US and Britain (except for Agatha Raisin, with the most vivid colors they can devise -- they're actually characters!).

Jeez, that Nadhim Zahawi really is an odious little prick. I suppose we should feel sorry for him as he seems disproportionally responsible for defending this governments cretinous policies and illegal activities. Someone should do a graph detailing the number of issues he's been sent out to brief on, only for a screeching u-turn to be performed shortly afterwards.

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Jeez, that Nadhim Zahawi really is an odious little prick. I suppose we should feel sorry for him as he seems disproportionally responsible for defending this governments cretinous policies and illegal activities. Someone should do a graph detailing the number of issues he's been sent out to brief on, only for a screeching u-turn to be performed shortly afterwards.

I’m not sure how throwing the Downing Street ataff under the bus is going to help; surely they’ll squeal, revealing every other misdeed Johnson has done?

The party scandal might end up looking like good times!

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Just heard that Priti Patel is to announce plans to grind asylum seekers into mince, and feed them to the poor.

Is that before or after the reopening of debtors  prisons?

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

The Good Law Project are suing the Met over their refusal to investigate Tory parties. Lol.

A judicial review isn't exactly the same thing as suing, but yes, the Met need to do their job.

Dominic Cummings   "I warned him this was a party and should not go ahead"

Me   - this may be true, but why have you waited till now to reveal this?  You are a known liar yourself and its well known you want to take him down.   Also giving Dom's behaviour why would it being a party be a reason it should not go ahead?  you drove to Scotland to test your eyes.

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Me   - this may be true, but why have you waited till now to reveal this?  You are a known liar yourself and its well known you want to take him down.   Also giving Dom's behaviour why would it being a party be a reason it should not go ahead?  you drove to Scotland to test your eyes.

Barnard’s Castle is not scotland

That Dominic Cummings blog post in full:

I was against this right from the start and I knew it was wrong and I told him not to do it and he did it anyway. I would never do anything to break lockdown rules. (Maybe edit that later.) Anyway I totally warned him.

I'm still relevant, aren't I? Please tell me I'm still relevant.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Barnard’s Castle is not scotland

Sorry,   

I've only learnt of Bernard's Castles exesictance once it was used for an Eye test, and I guess I failed the eye test when the TV showed me a Map of his journey.  

I stand by it being Way up north it might as well be Scotland from the perspective of someone who lives just outside London and doesn't know what a hill is.

Edit  - Just looked on Google.    fuck its not even as far North as Newcastle.

2 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Me   - this may be true, but why have you waited till now to reveal this?  You are a known liar yourself and its well known you want to take him down.   Also giving Dom's behaviour why would it being a party be a reason it should not go ahead? [b] you drove to Scotland to test your eyes.[/b] 

Clearly the wine was just testing that they all retained their sense of taste after Covid

Archived