UK Politics: Testing, testing, one two free

polishgenius

Interesting too that anti-vax people will highlight myocarditis as a side effect of the vaccine, but not acknowledge that its an intended effect of COVID-19, normally more common, more severe and more deadly than myocarditis from being vaccinated.

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Interesting too that anti-vax people will highlight myocarditis as a side effect of the vaccine, but not acknowledge that its an intended effect of COVID-19, normally more common, more severe and more deadly than myocarditis from being vaccinated.

This was what caught Joe Rogan out recently, who had been endlessly spewing that it there was more danger from the vaccines than from the disease itself, until someone actually got him to look into it properly.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/19/science-covid-ineradicable-disease-prevention?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Devi Sridhar, probably one of the most outspoken Zero Covid evangelicals during this pandemic, who has consistently warned that we are never doing enough and always wanted more measures.. is now saying its time to get on with our lives, and that science has 'defanged' covid. If even she is putting out positive vibes then something is up.

She even thinks removing mask requirements now is reasonable. Hopefully certain members will get to read this and feel reassured that they can leave their houses.

In the UK the prime minister announced today that restrictions including masking requirements will be removed from next week, and self-isolation requirements will be reviewed in March. I think this is largely reasonable – all governments face the question of how to approach this new landscape.

36 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Devi Sridhar, probably one of the most outspoken Zero Covid evangelicals during this pandemic, who has consistently warned that we are never doing enough and always wanted more measures.. is now saying its time to get on with our lives, and that science has 'defanged' covid. If even she is putting out positive vibes then something is up.

There's no mystery here, she's quite explicit about what is 'up' and why her thinking has changed: because the facts on the ground have changed. She stands by the idea that the previous lockdowns were absolutely the right thing to do. 

Delaying and preventing infection as much as possible through this pandemic was a worthwhile strategy. In early 2020, there were few treatments, limited testing and no vaccines. The costs of those lockdowns were big, but the effort to buy time paid off. In that time, science has transformed Covid from a deadly virus to a much less serious, nasty disease – one that is manageable at home, for the vast majority of those vaccinated. It has, largely, defanged it.

But even as we have had success treating and preventing serious infections, Sars-CoV-2 has become increasingly transmissible. ONS survey data indicates that one in 15 are positive in England, with similar numbers for the other three nations. While the good news is that the Omicron variant is resulting in less severe disease and a smaller fraction of hospitalisations, so many people are infected and isolating that critical services are struggling with staffing. This is what is driving governments to rethink isolation policies, and ask whether they are becoming more disruptive than the virus itself.

What does all this mean in terms of living with Covid-19? We still need to test. We still need to vaccinate and combat misinformation. We need to encourage people to wear medical-grade masks such as N95s in crowded and indoor settings. Employers need to recognise and support employees who have been identified as in a shielding group. We also need to review isolation and other policies so they remain safe, but are less disruptive to the functioning of society.

I feel that the post above somewhat misrepresents the article, so to be clear: Prof Sidhar isn't saying that the risks, particularly the risks to people who are shielding, have disappeared. She's explicitly calling for masking to continue in some situations and for continuing some measures. She hasn't suddenly refuted her previous positions. 

7 minutes ago, mormont said:

I feel that the post above somewhat misrepresents the article, so to be clear: Prof Sidhar isn't saying that the risks, particularly the risks to people who are shielding, have disappeared. She's explicitly calling for masking to continue in some situations and for continuing some measures. She hasn't suddenly refuted her previous positions. 

Didn't say she had. The point being if even she is not panicking about a reduction in measures then maybe we don't need to either.

I just saw a headline saying Boris' baby daughter has COVID and not just mild symptoms. I hope she pulls through with no permanent damage. But my question is how did she get exposed? She's still a baby, so must surely have a very limited number of people to whom she is exposed. I hope people were not being irresponsible with her thinking that she's low risk because she's a baby, and "young children don't get COVID"

15 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I just saw a headline saying Boris' baby daughter has COVID and not just mild symptoms. I hope she pulls through with no permanent damage. But my question is how did she get exposed? She's still a baby, so must surely have a very limited number of people to whom she is exposed. I hope people were not being irresponsible with her thinking that she's low risk because she's a baby, and "young children don't get COVID"

No great mystery there either, if true. The child lives in a home that's located in a busy government building and her parents, even in a pandemic, come into contact with dozens of people daily. Obviously the news agenda for weeks has shown us that Boris Johnson isn't personally very responsible when it comes to observing COVID rules but even if he were, it wouldn't be surprising that any resident of Downing Street caught COVID.

senior tory claiming blackmail and bullying tactics being used to stop tory mp voting no confidence in Johnson. Says they should contact the police, though the Met seem to be giving the government a pass for everything these days

Okay, this is a bit more serious than your common or garden political horse-trading, and could turn out to be the most dangerous fuckup yet to face Johnson and his goons. Yesterday, Number 10 they said they would not be investigating the claims of blackmail and intimidation as there was no evidence.

Well, that has just changed:

Christian Wakeford says he was threatened with loss of funding for constituency if he rebelled as Tory MP.

I was threatened that I would not get a school for Radcliffe if I didn’t vote one particular way. This is a town that’s not had a high school for the best part of 10 years. How would you feel holding back the rejuventation of a town for a vote? It didn’t sit comfortably, and that was really [me] starting to question my place where I was, and ultimately to where I am now.

Oh dear. Shit just got real for Bozo.

Maybe Rishi could use this as a tactic to lure Johnson out of Downing Street.

Stranded dog saved from rising tide after rescuers attach sausage to drone

As the tide rose, it began to look perilous for Millie the jack russell terrier, who had defied the efforts of police, firefighters and coastguards to pluck her from treacherous mudflats.

So the rescuers had to think imaginatively, and came up with the idea of attaching a sausage to a drone and hoping the scent of the treat would tempt Millie to safety. It worked gloriously and Millie has been reunited with her grateful owner after following the dangling sausage to higher, safer ground.

Millie disappeared after slipping her lead in Havant, Hampshire, and after frantic public appeals was spotted on the mudflats, in danger of being engulfed by the tide. She resisted efforts to encourage her to a safer spot until a drone pilot suggested attaching food to one of the unmanned aerial vehicles that had been used to track the dog.

“It was a crazy idea,” said Chris Taylor, the chair of the Denmead Drone Search and Rescue team. But they pressed ahead and after checking Civil Aviation Authority regulations, and the MTOW [maximum takeoff weight] of their machines, the rescuers calculated they could attach a single sausage to a drone.

Taylor said: “One of the local residents on the beach where we were flying from supplied us with the sausages – I think they were from Aldi. The woman cooked them up for us and we attached them with string.”

To the joy of the rescuers, Millie took the bait.

Just now, Spockydog said:

Okay, this is a bit more serious than your common or garden political horse-trading, and could turn out to be the most dangerous fuckup yet to face Johnson and his goons. Yesterday, Number 10 they said they would not be investigating the claims of blackmail and intimidation as there was no evidence.

Well, that has just changed:

Christian Wakeford says he was threatened with loss of funding for constituency if he rebelled as Tory MP

Boris: “they’re Voting against me!”

Chief Whip: “It’s fine, I’ll threaten to reveal he’s having an affair, and threaten to pull money from their constituencies. That’ll bring them in line and totally save you.”

Tory MP’s to the press: “we’re being blackmailed into supporting Boris. If we vote against him, half my orphanages will be shut down, and my constituents won’t get any funding.”

boris: “oh, fuck”

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Nonsense. Johnson has just said that he "has seen no evidence of blackmailing", so we can all just move on.

(Incidentally, I have heard several anecdotal instances of the Tories doing this sort of thing at the local council level, so am frankly unsurprised at Johnson's mob (pun intended) doing it at the national level also - it is just the way they roll, favours for favours.)

5 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Nonsense. Johnson has just said that he "has seen no evidence of blackmailing", so we can all just move on.

(Incidentally, I have heard several anecdotal instances of the Tories doing this sort of thing at the local council level, so am frankly unsurprised at Johnson's mob (pun intended) doing it at the national level also - it is just the way they roll, favours for favours.)

Unfortunately for Bozo:

Favours for favours, absolutely fine.

Favours for public money, absolutely illegal and charges will be brought.

It's one of those things that happens all the time and is definitely unethical and possibly illegal, but everyone ignores it. However, it does add to the weight of the "fuck off Boris, you're done," sentiment. A lot of these are MPs who a few months ago were praising Boris and thanking him for getting them elected, so for them to turn on him when they should be his biggest cheerleaders is quite a big deal.

2 hours ago, A wilding said:

Not sure we can trust his eyesight considering he didn’t see a party that he was at for half an hour.

It does sound like the sort of stuff that happens all the time even if it shouldn’t 

Archived