UK Politics: Testing, testing, one two free

polishgenius

The argument that the 'blackmail' allegations are just how whipping regularly works at Westminster I find hard to credit, if only because if that were the case, why are Tory MPs complaining about it? To further undermine Johnson? Possibly, but MPs have had cause to do that before with other PMs and yet it didn't happen. Which suggests to me there really is something going on here besides that.

I can believe that linking funding to support is done, but threatening to leak personally embarrassing stories? Seems less likely. And I'm sure that if these things are done, they're usually done in a very discreet and subtle way. I think the most likely thing is that Johnson's whips are being unusually direct and ham-handed in their attempts to leverage support and have just gone too far with it. Governments are like other large organisations, they have a culture that's set by the senior people, and in this case the culture appears to be one that allows and even encourages bullying, mistaking it for leadership. 

4 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I’m sure he thought it was just work blackmail.

But is it really blackmail if nobody told him that it was blackmail?

As for the threats etc - I'd assume that sort of thing has always gone on (see the original House Of Cards, for example - written by a pretty senior political advisor); but I'd also happily assume that the current crowd have gone beyond the standard fair, dialled it up to 11, and been about as subtle as a sock full of half-brick.

ETA: Michael Fabricant seems to think all the accusations are true, and business as usual, at least for tories (I'd be amazed if that were the case).
I not so sure that admitting to a long-standing culture of law-breaking is quote the dismissal he seems to think it is.

Steve Baker now saying he thinks Johnson is "checkmated" and will have to go. However, BJ allies suggesting that the most dangerous moment of "partygate" may have passed since he seems to have convinced Tory MPs to wait on the outcome of the whitewash report next week.

BJ may be fervently hoping that Putin invades Ukraine imminently as that will take the attention off him for a bit.

33 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

ETA: Michael Fabricant seems to think all the accusations are true, and business as usual, at least for tories (I'd be amazed if that were the case).
I not so sure that admitting to a long-standing culture of law-breaking is quote the dismissal he seems to think it is.

I don't trust that Tony Tucker (from rise of the foot soldier) looking motherfucker. Absolute nonce. 

7 minutes ago, john said:

Interesting defence(?) of Johnson in Sun front page.

That reads like a front page put together in extreme desperation after a coke-fuelled all-night binger where the editor has said they want to make Johnson sound good (for his fans) whilst also suggesting the situation isn't over and he might still have to go (for his enemies). It indicates that Murdoch isn't quite ready to go fully nuclear against Johnson just yet. Very much them hedging their bets with a strange metaphor, which is almost every day for The Sun.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I hate to defend the Sun but one of the MPs involved in the 'plot' is the MP for Melton, how could they be expected not to lean into that pun!?!?

I'd still expect a pun that you can understand without having to think about it for five minutes.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

A little of each, is my understanding.

Yeah, that's my instinct too.

Can any of of our European friends tell us what the price of bread, butter and pasta has been doing for the past year or so.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, that's my instinct too.

Can any of of our European friends tell us what the price of bread, butter and pasta has been doing for the past year or so.

Slowly creeping up. Even though I do most of the shopping, I don't really track those things. But my subjective observation is that I see less price competition and special sales in general. So maybe the upper limit is  not so much impacted but it's harder to get better prices. Feels like there is not enough supply to tempt the stores with starting a price fight.

Statistically speaking, we also have high inflation. 

Archived