UK Politics: Testing, testing, one two free

polishgenius

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The interior designer got an invite, so there goes the 'it was a work event' defence. 

They were discussing ways to redesign his pip to make it a more productive place to live and work.

To get back to cycling in London.

That would turn me into a homicidal maniac. I mean, our big fat copper would've written me up for either keying half the cars or trying to pull out the twat behind the wheel to have an intense discussion about safe driving. Note the cyclist hiself comes across as an aggressive piece of work, but cycling in London might really not be great for your blood pressure. 

Maybe @Ser Scot A Ellison has different feelings about that.

11 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That would turn me into a homicidal maniac. I mean, our big fat copper would've written me up for either keying half the cars or trying to pull out the twat behind the wheel to have an intense discussion about safe driving. Note the cyclist hiself comes across as an aggressive piece of work, but cycling in London might really not be great for your blood pressure. 

Maybe @Ser Scot A Ellison has different feelings about that.

Key away. Fuck London Drivers. 

39 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Uhhh he was so shocked at the surprise that he was stunned to the point of not being able to move?

He was probably so shocked that he needed to eat some cake to recover his equilibrium.

The birthday party revelations might distract somewhat from this very different piece of embarrassment for the Government although really it shouldn't:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60117513

A Conservative minister in the House of Lords has resigned attacking the government's handling of fraudulent Covid business loans.

Lord Agnew, a Treasury minister with responsibility for cross-government efficiency, said "a combination of arrogance, indolence and ignorance" was "freezing the government machine".

He accused the government of making "schoolboy errors" by giving loans to over 1,000 companies who were not trading when Covid struck.

"I hope that as a virtually unknown minister beyond this place giving up my career might prompt others to get behind this and sort it out," he said.

In a dramatic moment in the House of Lords, he read out his resignation speech in response to a question from Labour about the £4.3bn of Covid loans written off by the Treasury.

This is a good reason to just separate cyclists from vehicles altogether. Look how fast all those cyclists are going, it’s actually very hard to see someone on a bike when you are in a car and you have a million things to pay attention to. They also don’t make any noise , and at night their lights aren’t alway that visible. I’m surprised there aren’t more accidents actually. 

26 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

This is a good reason to just separate cyclists from vehicles altogether. Look how fast all those cyclists are going, it’s actually very hard to see someone on a bike when you are in a car and you have a million things to pay attention to. They also don’t make any noise , and at night their lights aren’t alway that visible. I’m surprised there aren’t more accidents actually. 

Not sure they are really that fast. It certainly looks like it but in some of the scenes you can see how they get overtaken by the really fast ones. 

Also how on earth do they feel it is a smart move trying to squeeze past a lorry or but with like 1m space and now way to veer to the side?

40 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

This is a good reason to just separate cyclists from vehicles altogether.

If you can find a way to do this, I doubt there's a single cyclist who'd disagree. But even with a limitless budget, I don't think it's possible in UK cities.

31 minutes ago, mormont said:

If you can find a way to do this, I doubt there's a single cyclist who'd disagree. But even with a limitless budget, I don't think it's possible in UK cities.

with a limitless budget,  we could build cycle roads on stilts with ramps on and off every so often. - We could criss cross most of the city.

It would be slightly more practical than that bridge between Scotland and N. Ireland Boris wanted.

1 hour ago, kiko said:

Also how on earth do they feel it is a smart move trying to squeeze past a lorry or but with like 1m space and now way to veer to the side?

Better question, which street planer came up with that. The way those bike lanes are integrated into some of the steets is mental.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

You are just jelly, that your friends and colleagues didn't drop by with a cake to celebrate your birthday. 

Surely, if it were a troop of English soldier that had just taken a village from the Nazis after a difficult, those soldiers should be permitted to celebrate the birthday of beloved their captain with a cake and some champagne. 

Eventually, I hope cars become single file trackless rollers coaster like vehicles. Smart technology could let them go sideways to your door and have sensors for cyclists. Cyclists could have smart technology that signals where they are to your car, which avoids hitting them. Single file would leave space for bicycles. Sooner than we think:)?

19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You are just jelly, that your friends and colleagues didn't drop by with a cake to celebrate your birthday. 

I feel like if my friends and colleagues did that and I fucked off after ten minutes, they might be miffed.

But then again if my friends and colleagues had done that while we were in the first lockdown, I'd have told them all they were out of their minds and asked why they were doing something that was clearly not permitted. Particularly if I was in a position of leadership where the event was bound to come out sooner or later and be a PR disaster.

But then again, none of that would have happened at my workplace, because like responsible people we had closed our offices and were all working from home, meaning such events weren't even possible. I'm sure every single person at Number 10 that day and at all the other work events had urgent work that was literally impossible to do from home.

The decorator, for example. I mean yes, we plebs had to undergo a major fucking operation to get urgent repairs done and it was in fact literally impossible for us to book an interior decorator during that time because it was against the rules. But clearly, the Johnsons needed to get the wallpapering done.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

And just stood there wobbling his head and spluttering for 15 minutes. 

TBF, he has form for exactly that, like when asked an awkward question, like where he spent Christmas, or if he loses his place in a speech up North...

As a defence, it's certainly believable - which means it's safe to assume they won't try it, in favour of "I didn't realise that a birthday cake with candles, and people singing 'happy birthday' on my own birthday, would count as a party"

And not before time

Not that it should be led by the Met, who provide security to the parties and are beholden to government for favours and honours - almost as if providing security for these parties makes people think they might be complicit.

Frankly, this feels like an attempt to kick the can a bit further down the road, using their tame police commissioner in Patel's pocket. Let us wait and see if this is used as an excuse not to publish the "summary of the findings" of the Sue Gray report that they were otherwise going to be forced to disgorge sometime this week.

47 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Let us wait and see if this is used as an excuse not to publish the "summary of the findings" of the Sue Gray report that they were otherwise going to be forced to disgorge sometime this week.

We don't need to wait - already confirmed.

The cops couldn't investigate until a private, internal investigation had finished, but now that rivate, internal investigation cna't publish until the cops have investigated.

Can kicked a few months down the road, but which time the local elections will be out of the way, the parties will no longer be daily discourse in the media, and it's entirely possible, someone else will already be PM; and Cressida will have had her nod and a wink for that Grand Dame ambition, or possibly another surprise contract extension.

Archived