UK Politics: Testing, testing, one two free

polishgenius

Hislop on excellent form here.

Reminds me of Robin Williams' suggestion that politicians should, by law, have to wear the logos of the company that pay them to lobby on their behalf like they're NASCAR sponsors.

17 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Reminds me of Robin Williams' suggestion that politicians should, by law, have to wear the logos of the company that pay them to lobby on their behalf like they're NASCAR sponsors.

Excellent form indeed.

"The problem is this top layer of people who get jobs which are not related to their skills. 'Would you like to work for a nutrition company? Would you like to work for a laboratory? Are you a scientist? No. What are you? I'm an MP who's willing to take the money. Well, that's a skill.' It's just not good enough.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

About seven minutes was all I could take of that Tory cretin. What a muppet. 

17 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

About seven minutes was all I could take of that Tory cretin. What a muppet. 

Did you get to the bit where they start reading out the interests of the MP who are actually on the committee? Absolute solid gold.

Haha, Bernard Jenkins. He's one of those Tories even other Tories absolutely cannot stand. He's a total waste of space. My stepmother and father lived in his constituency and ran a business in the area, so had multiple dealings with him. On every occasion he needed to have his wife or assistant actually answer questions about policy or what they were doing to help businesses because he had zero ability to recall any of the details. Very bizarre.

13 hours ago, williamjm said:

Hopefully not, they'd probably be a better PM than any of the likely alternatives.

I'll repeat my campaign from May's resignation:
Vote Larry Mouser!
Comfortably the most effective, and charismatic in cabinet!

Well, that's the mindset, isn't it? We all tend to assume that most people think the way we do, whatever the way we think. That's why stuff like this matters: and that's why it matters that people in a position of leadership act with integrity. If we believe they have a mindset of making excuses, then we'll act the same.

32 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

He’s probably right, most people have broken covid rules at some point I’m sure.

You would have to actively try to and break the rules as obviously and frequently as these ball bags. They must get up very early in the morning.

Watching PMQs I'm absolutely flabbergasted that we still let them behave in such a puerile way. It's so embarrassing. 

Remember that time when we let the Taliban overrun Afghanistan and abandoned a load of people to torture and death and Boris Johnson stood up in the House and denied personally authorizing a load of dogs to be airlifted instead of people?

20 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Someone needs to have a word with this moron. #PetrolOnTheFlames

I may have broken Covid rules here in Canada as well. I have Sunday dinner with friends, we consider ourselves to be in the same bubble, but there were too many people in the bubble. She has four children, all married or in a relationship (but two live far out of town), so, iffy. Plus I was in a bubble with my brother and SiL. And for months I was constantly going to hospital appointments, so maybe I shouldn’t have seen any of them at all.

But I didn’t attend or throw 15 fucking parties with dozens of different households. That’s a pretty major difference!

It’s like the rich guy, caught for hiding millions in income from the tax man, whining that everybody cheats on their taxes.

There's a good chance that he's right in that most people broke the rules at some point - mostly after the Cummings affair when it was obvious that the rules didn't apply to those in power, and the message was publicly, and vociferously undermined.

During the first lockdown though, I think the vast, vast majority were sticking to it.

Even after the Cummings debacle, the vast majority were sticking to it well, but maybe less stringently.

Currently - who is confident that they even know what the rules are without looking it up?

Meanwhile, Sunak's going to need a good dry-cleaner to get those bur tire marks out of that suit.

Who am I kidding - he's in the cabinet, he'll just ditch it a buy a new one, with tax-payer's money

57 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Remember that time when we let the Taliban overrun Afghanistan and abandoned a load of people to torture and death and Boris Johnson stood up in the House and denied personally authorizing a load of dogs to be airlifted instead of people?

Operation Save big Dog.

Yes, that was sarcasm.

Archived