Cricket 43: So long, and thanks for all the Finch

IheartIheartTesla

6 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I see Kohli wasnt among the runs in the first 2 Tests with Sl. Since he is no longer captain, I'd suggest his place in the side is in some peril.

Hmmm I’m not sure he’s in that much danger just yet. He played some decent knocks on the recent SA tour, though admittedly couldn’t convert to a century.

But you’re right, he is falling well short of his usual high standards of late. And his test average, while still an excellent 49, is on the decline.

Well, these Pakistani pitches are still lifeless but somehow we still have the chance of all three results on Day 5.

While a Pakistani win would be truly bizarre (chasing down a record 500+ score in the 4th innings) this pitch is the one to do it on. In four full days of play only 13 wickets have fallen in total (two Aussie declarations) and three of the wickets were runouts! There have been 346 overs in the game and only 10 wickets off the pitch, which is pretty dire.

Draw is the most likely outcome assuming one of Babar or Shafique stay in the game. Australian win would be banking on the pitch playing some tricks and Pakistani's lower order crumbling like they did in the first innings.

4 hours ago, Jeor said:

Well, these Pakistani pitches are still lifeless but somehow we still have the chance of all three results on Day 5.

While a Pakistani win would be truly bizarre (chasing down a record 500+ score in the 4th innings) this pitch is the one to do it on. In four full days of play only 13 wickets have fallen in total (two Aussie declarations) and three of the wickets were runouts! There have been 346 overs in the game and only 10 wickets off the pitch, which is pretty dire.

Draw is the most likely outcome assuming one of Babar or Shafique stay in the game. Australian win would be banking on the pitch playing some tricks and Pakistani's lower order crumbling like they did in the first innings.

Bolded part is never to be ruled out and nearly a likely scenario with them :P.

But full credit to Babar and Shafique for digging the hosts out of the 2-21 hole. 

Poor Babar Azam out for 196. Deserved a double hundred for that knock.

Suddenly late in the day, Australia winkle him out and another quick wicket. With 4 wickets still in hand and only 12 overs remaining, you'd think Pakistan are still safe (it would be cruel to land them with a loss, even when Australia declared with the game well in control). But @Paxter is right...and with a new ball in the hands of Starc/Cummins et al, you never know. It'll be a nervous last half hour of play!

Good effort from Pakistan, or Shafique, Azam and Rizwan anyway, to get a draw. The pitch might have been pretty lifeless but the scoreboard pressure was a significant factor after the poor performance in the first innings.

Mahmood's in for England in the second test against the Windies with Wood out injured so that'll be interesting to see. On the downside Robinson still isn't considered fit enough to play.

ETA: Fisher also in for England with Overton apparently unwell. At least this test will give England a look at some genuine new options.

ETA2: Apparently Archer is with the England team for this test working on his rehab from injury. Honestly I'd kind of assumed his test career was done so seeing him still involved in the set up is encouraging.

Already Root's move to 3 is paying nice dividends for England - shielding the middle order but still producing big scores.

The skipper on the verge of another century, 10,000 test runs and getting his average back above the coveted 50. 

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Oh dear Dan Lawrence. 

A shame, but he's showing some promising signs. Already some good scores away from home, he just needs to make some runs in England now.

On Archer, I would love to see him back in the team. But I would never bring him to the subcontinent and I would use him only as a shock weapon, not a stock bowler. People should be way harsher on Root's captaincy for ruining a guy like that. 

Good effort from Pakistan, particularly given that batting time and racking up big scores are not their traditional strengths. Amazing knock from Babar, and Shafique and Rizwan both helped greatly, he couldn't have done it by himself. While the series has generally been dull, at least this sets things up to keep the series alive...

Re: Archer I had also assumed he was pretty much done as a Test player. Stress fractures and whatnot aren't easy to get over and I also got the impression he wasn't necessarily the greatest trainer going around, so kudos to him if he's still in the picture. It's a pity for England - he could have been an integral part of a really good bowling attack but Broad/Anderson aside, England haven't been able to establish longevity with many of their bowlers. Admittedly this is probably selection-based as well.

18 hours ago, Jeor said:

Good effort from Pakistan, particularly given that batting time and racking up big scores are not their traditional strengths.

Yeah, since Younus retired they have struggled to produce batters who could make those big daddy hundreds. Babar is really taking his game to the next level now. 

Will be interesting to see how this deciding test goes now. Will it be another road?

Oh and new year...new England! Stokes tearing it up in Barbados. 

8 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

checked in on the ENG-WI Test yesterday afternoon to see that England were at 507/9d and Windies at the crease. I expected England to do well but not 500 runs in an innings well. 

Yeah was pleasing to see their batting fire after such a sustained poor run. The Windies are also batting pretty well in response.

Feeling sad this week as I was originally meant to go to Barbados to watch this test…unfortunately plans changed :@

17 hours ago, Paxter said:

Feeling sad this week as I was originally meant to go to Barbados to watch this test…unfortunately plans changed :@

Yeah, I’d be pretty gutted about that. On the plus side this pitch doesn’t look likely to produce a good test match but I think a holiday in Barbados might just make up for it.

9 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, I’d be pretty gutted about that. On the plus side this pitch doesn’t look likely to produce a good test match but I think a holiday in Barbados might just make up for it.

Oh it absolutely would have! Going to reschedule the trip for sure. 

12 hours ago, Paxter said:

Oh it absolutely would have! Going to reschedule the trip for sure. 

At least you didn't book your holiday trip to Sabina Park 1998!

Still 0-0 but England will probably be fairly happy with this series so far. Their batting line-up has fired against a decent WI attack and the bowling has toiled hard with good control. Brilliant performances from Bonner and Brathwaite in each test have kept the Windies in the series.

Yeah looks like this could be a result pitch. I worry for Pakistan having to bat last again.

Over in NZ, Australia just look absolutely dominant. Hard to see any other side winning that competition. 

Archived