Cricket 43: So long, and thanks for all the Finch

IheartIheartTesla

Well, at long last we might have an even better 5th day than the previous test. A charitable declaration by Australia, and then a strong opening partnership for Pakistan, have now tilted this game back to an even keel. Pakistan need 278 runs with 10 wickets in hand on the last day.

It actually goes to show that, at least from a Pakistani point of view, those draws were definitely worth it. By displaying their batting strength on admittedly flat wickets, they've essentially forced Cummins' declaration earlier (so that he'd have enough time to get all 10 wickets) and in the process got themselves closer to sneaking a victory.

The fact that they've still got Azhar Ali and Babar in the shed - their two main men - would be filling them with confidence. Still, 350 targets aren't easy to chase anywhere and there's a reason why they're rarely achieved.

Yeah for sure, sporting declaration but Australia still have their noses in front.

I think a draw would be the fairest result in this series but cricket doesn’t care about fairness.

Meanwhile, normal service resumed for England.

For all the fifth day anticipation, Pakistan folded pretty quickly.

Probably a deserved series win for Australia given how they came close to a win in the 2nd Test, but a draw wouldn't have been unfair on them either.

Comfortable win for the Windies (we don’t get to say that often!) 

That was a really pleasing win on a number of levels. Most importantly, they managed to stop the rot after what has been a tough start to Brathwaite’s captaincy. The bowling stood up once again - Roach remains the most untalked about pro in test cricket, Seales is just a wonderful player and Joseph impressed again at various times. The Mayers five-for was the cherry on top and a great selection in that match. Da Silva is another beauty and is probably now my favourite test keeper after the retirement of Watling. 

Of course, the batting remains a huge problem. Holder needs to really lift his game in that area. And the top 3 other than Brathwaite just stinks.

On England…obviously disappointing again. But Aus and the Windies are two of their most horrific venues (just one series win in the Caribbean since ‘68), so I never really expected a great winter. Lees and Mahmood showed some pretty good ticker. Root was sublime. Stokes showed glimmers, as did Lawrence.

I probably wouldn’t sack Root. I don’t think he’s the problem. Broad has killer instincts but I don’t think he’d be an adept people manager. They need a Morgan like character - someone who isn’t necessarily the best player in the team but is the best leader. An experienced head in the vein of Misbah.

Oh and can this please be the last time Woakes gets picked in unhelpful conditions for him? 

6 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Everyone thinks this is the end of Joe Root as captain, with Broad being the front runner, but if he is retiring in a few years I would question that decision. It might work, only if you groom someone like Stokes right away to be successor

While I think he could be a good captain it feels like England are already asking Stokes to do too much as it is.

It was a good series win for the Windies, even if it still feels like they're a shadow of what they once were. England seem to stumble from one calamity to another, and it's not likely to get much easier with a series against New Zealand coming up.

I didn't see any of the last test either but you'd think that has to be the end for Root. The only issue is that if there was a clear cut replacement he'd probably already have been replaced. I think Broad would be a better captain than Root but if they were going to give him the job they should have done it a few years ago. It'd probably have to be Stokes even with the work load issues.

Archived