Cricket 43: So long, and thanks for all the Finch

IheartIheartTesla

Australia finally face defeat against Pakistan. And it was a memorable one with the hosts notching their highest ever successful ODI run chase.

Babar is just scoring for fun at this point. His overall ODI record is inching closer to Virat’s…

On 3/28/2022 at 5:22 PM, Jeor said:

What about Bairstow? He's probably as solid a bat as you'd find outside of Root, and is pretty experienced on the international scene.

Don’t think he’s captained a cricket team in his life.

Nice call on Moeen @williamjm.

58 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Don’t think he’s captained a cricket team in his life.

Yeah, I didn't know his history...but I thought as a sometime wicketkeeper he'd have a good read on the game.

Nice moment for us Perth folks with Western Australia winning its first Sheffield Shield since the late 90s. 

This was a pretty significant achievement, both at a State level to restore lost pride, and also at an individual level with some test discards (Bancroft, Cartwright, S Marsh) sharing in a well-deserved team success. 

On a related note, I think it's time to dispense with the Shield final. It has a fair amount of history to it but almost always fails to produce a decent match. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Root had to go. To be fair to him I think he wasn't helped by the structure around him but he hasn't been a great captain. 

It's hard to see it not being Stokes to replace him so long as he doesn't turn it down. Who else is there?

Broady?

Joe had a decent record as captain before this long streak of poor form, spanning consecutive series losses against India (x2), NZ, Aus and Windies.

I think the indictment on his record is that for long periods of his captaincy he had the luxury of two all-time great fastmen and a premier all-rounder. Other English captains were not so spoiled.

Oh and I regard his handling of Jofra as a borderline crime against humanity :P.

I captained the BBC Club to the West Berkshire shield, am a handy leg spinner and decent lower middle order bat, as long as the opposition promise not to bowl short, so I’m happy to throw my hat in the ring. 

Rob Key’s been announced as the new director of men’s cricket for the ECB.

He might be okay I suppose? He doesn’t really have much of a track record in similar jobs but he does know the domestic scene pretty well.:dunno:

19 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Rob Key’s been announced as the new director of men’s cricket for the ECB.

He might be okay I suppose? He doesn’t really have much of a track record in similar jobs but he does know the domestic scene pretty well.:dunno:

I imagine he might be more consultative and open than Giles (particularly with former players/County veterans), who seemed quite closed off and narrow-minded at times.

He is also probably a good person to help revitalize County cricket, since he played during a time of stronger teams and better pitches.

7 hours ago, Hereward said:

I captained the BBC Club to the West Berkshire shield, am a handy leg spinner and decent lower middle order bat, as long as the opposition promise not to bowl short, so I’m happy to throw my hat in the ring. 

I support your captaincy! but I must request that you bring more birdlife to the cricket pitch. The last few Tests I've watched have been full of ducks but woefully devoid of actual BIRDS.

To be fair to Root, 27 wins in 64 Tests isn't terrible (overall record 27-11-26 which is pretty even). If you took out that last dismal stretch of 17 Tests with only one win, it would have been a much more respectable 26 wins in 47 Tests, so he did have a decent record until recently. Probably unsurprising that the early years of captaincy he had Anderson, Broad and Stokes all firing and in this last period he hasn't really had any of them with any sort of consistency.

I can't remember where I read it but someone (Broad?) said that there are only two names on the England team sheet - Root and Stokes. So that sort of implies Stokes is the guy you have to give it to. BUt given his mental health problems and his on-field workoad, I don't think it's going to work. It smells a bit like the Flintoff captaincy experiment, which didn't go so well (2 wins, 2 draws and 7 losses).

If there was someone who was a good county cricket captain, you could sort of have a Brearley-type selection, I suppose. But I haven't heard of anyone suitable even with that reduced criteria.

20 hours ago, Paxter said:

The Brearley pick is probably James Vince? Jayawardene was highly complimentary of his captaincy in a limited overs context.

It's not as if his average is much different to most of the other England batsmen of recent years.

21 hours ago, Paxter said:

The Brearley pick is probably James Vince? Jayawardene was highly complimentary of his captaincy in a limited overs context.

I feel like the captain has to be at least a confirmed starter, though I suppose with England's batting woes, it's hard to find one.

Archived