Cricket 43: So long, and thanks for all the Finch

IheartIheartTesla

According to Cricviz, the average number of wickets that would’ve been taken on Day 1, based on the ball-by-ball statistics, was 6. Seventeen wickets fell on Day 1.

A real tribute to moderate day batting, this! 

Very minor point, but I’m not sure I like this Black Caps order. I’d get Conway back up to open, push Kane back down to 4 and hopefully Nicholls is fit again soon for the middle order. 

I hate when successful teams mess with a winning combination! 

Anyway, nice fightback from Mitchell and Blundell so far. England need to strike.

That was a massive fight back by Mitchell and Blundell. Puts NZ in a strong position. England will be hoping that that partnership is a sign of the pitch flattening out since they are most likely going to have to chase a 300+ target in the 4th innings.

Ollie Pope's a bit of a problem for England. He's got a phenomenal first class record, to be averaging over 50 in County Cricket to start your career in an era were pretty much everything is in favour of the bowlers is extremely impressive. He's pretty clearly the most talented English batsman of his generation but it doesn't seem to be clicking in test cricket. Given England's severe issues with their batting they really can't afford for him to end up being another Ramprakash.

8 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Well that was surprisingly composed from England this morning.

England comfortably chasing down the target today was probably the least expected twist of the match.

de Grandhomme 'dismissing' Ben Stokes off a no-ball feels like the crucial moment of the match in retrospect, even if he couldn't get England over the line himself the partnership with Root was crucial to set up a platform for Root and Foakes to win the game.

It's a great victory for them considering how good the current New Zealand side is and a good bowling and fielding performance. However, it's not really solved their biggest issue which is that only Root seems to be able to consistently score runs.

8 hours ago, Paxter said:

Where is @Hereward?!

Probably temporarily revising his opinion on cricket.

11 hours ago, Raja said:

Leach isn't going to bowl for england again till 2023 ( except in the second inninings ofc)

Apparently Moeen Ali’s said he’s open to coming back to test cricket. He doesn’t really offer the control England could do with either but it’s not like England have a spinner who does waiting in the wings and he’s a better all round cricketer and probably offers a bit more of a wicket taking threat.

Archived