Cricket 43: So long, and thanks for all the Finch

IheartIheartTesla

Another india england series would be fun as opposed to the one test match we're getting :angry:

Morgan's just announced his retirement

Also, I'm not entirely sure what to make of Rohit as captain

4 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

that was an interesting series. I'm legitimately surprised that NZ couldn't manifest a win or draw out of any of the Tests, especially given some of the run totals they managed to create. 

It is the first time a team has successfully chased 250+ in three consecutive matches

7 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Actually, that reminds me -- @Hereward during the Leeds Test the camera showed an all-brown raptor flying over the grounds. No other really good distinguishing marks, except that the underwings looked like they had lighter/white patches at the "wrist" area on each wing (base of the primary feathers, basically). 

Possibly a Red Kite? Not sure how many of them there are up there, but they are very common in parts of England now. Their wide forked tail is usually their most obvious distinguishing feature.

I agree, sounds most like a Red Kite, though they are rarer in the north. The other option, especially if the tail was more fan-shaped than forked, is a juvenile Buzzard, which be more common in that area.

YES. I have been watching this Test for exactly five minutes and we already have live footage of Sri Lankan birds. Am now officially a strong supporter of Sri Lankan cricket.

Also, thanks @A wilding and @Hereward for the possible ID. The camera didn't really show the tail well. Will look through some photos of both species to see if either match what I saw. 

ETA: After looking at reference, I think it was a Common Buzzard. Thank you for the ID help!

9 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

YES. I have been watching this Test for exactly five minutes and we already have live footage of Sri Lankan birds. Am now officially a strong supporter of Sri Lankan cricket.

Also, thanks @A wilding and @Hereward for the possible ID. The camera didn't really show the tail well. Will look through some photos of both species to see if either match what I saw. 

ETA: After looking at reference, I think it was a Common Buzzard. Thank you for the ID help!

PS Watching the England vs Netherlands ODI series, Mark Butcher, one of my favourite commentators now Lloyd and Holding have retired, outed himself as a bird watcher, waxing lyrical about Bar-tailed Godwits. Quite an incredible cross over, which probably doesn’t say anything good!

Sky seem to be trying out a few new combinations for their test cricket coverage now they've got a fair few gaps with Botham and Gower having been let go and Holding and Bumble retired. Hopefully they stick with Butcher, I agree he's good, and I do generally like Sangakkara although his 'stick Buttler in as a test opener' idea is a little questionable.

On 6/28/2022 at 3:27 PM, Raja said:

Also, I'm not entirely sure what to make of Rohit as captain

Apparently he's tested positive for Covid so you might not find out what he's like as captain, with Bumrah potentially in line to replace him.

4 hours ago, Hereward said:

PS Watching the England vs Netherlands ODI series, Mark Butcher, one of my favourite commentators now Lloyd and Holding have retired, outed himself as a bird watcher, waxing lyrical about Bar-tailed Godwits. Quite an incredible cross over, which probably doesn’t say anything good!

I love everything about this except the fact that Bumble and Holding have retired.

10 hours ago, williamjm said:

Apparently he's tested positive for Covid so you might not find out what he's like as captain, with Bumrah potentially in line to replace him.

That is unfortunate for him. I'm so disconnected from test cricket that I don't even know who our back up is.

Also, that steve smith run out was very amusing.

Mans was *pissed*

9 hours ago, Raja said:

That is unfortunate for him. I'm so disconnected from test cricket that I don't even know who our back up is.

Apparently Rahul was meant to the next in line but he is injured so Bumrah will lead tomorrow. It's the first time he's ever captained any team, there are probably easier situations to become captain for the first time.

52 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Apparently Rahul was meant to the next in line but he is injured so Bumrah will lead tomorrow. It's the first time he's ever captained any team, there are probably easier situations to become captain for the first time.

To be fair, it's sorta just a one off test, so I'm not sure it's much of a pressure situation ( Though I know it's an important test in the context of the series from last year)

11 minutes ago, Raja said:

To be fair, it's sorta just a one off test, so I'm not sure it's much of a pressure situation ( Though I know it's an important test in the context of the series from last year)

I guess there might also be a lot less pressure captaining India abroad than captaining India in India.

13 hours ago, williamjm said:

I guess there might also be a lot less pressure captaining India abroad than captaining India in India.

Also true. 

It's difficult to expect much from this test from an indian perspective, we are generally slow starters overseas and have a poor record at trent bridge. 

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Also true. 

It's difficult to expect much from this test from an indian perspective, we are generally slow starters overseas and have a poor record at trent bridge. 

This match is at Edgbaston 

14 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

This match is at Edgbaston 

I have no idea why I thought it was at trent bridge. To be fair, I've done 14 night shifts in a month and I'm honestly surprised I can spring any words together at all.

Not looking great so far, defo missing Rohit's ability to get runs at the top of the order.

Archived