Cricket 43: So long, and thanks for all the Finch

IheartIheartTesla

I suspect Broad is probably very unamused to have conceded the most expensive over in Test history to a number 10 batsman. Commentators often talk about someone playing a 'captain's innings' but I think Jasprit Bumrah had a unique interpretation of that today. I don't think the 'bowl every ball short' strategy is a good one, particularly when the bowler isn't as fast as the likes of Archer or Wood.

I think this means Broad has bowled the most expensive over in both Tests and T20 internationals, perhaps it's for the best he's not in the ODI side any more so can't go for the trilogy.

England are now in quite a bit of trouble after losing the top order cheaply, a lot now depends on what Bairstow and Stokes can do tomorrow.

I was momentarily bamboozled by this billing as the Fifth Test until I realised it was a make-up Test for a previous series. I'm slow on the uptake!

Great showing by India so far. England ought not to be too disheartened, they played very well against New Zealand and so far this is only really one particularly bad day. The batting order (Root aside) is still going to be a problem, although having Bairstow in there in good nick would be a welcome sight.

Enjoying the final Test England vs India, although I do feel that the teams should have been picked from the squads selected last summer.  Even if it would mean another pasting for England.

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Prediction time, Eng gonna win, Jonny gets another ton (nice spat with Kohli)

It looked an unlikely target at the start of the innings but it's definitely looking a lot more plausible going into the last day. India still in with a chance if they get some quick wickets since there's not much batting below Billings but it would need to be multiple wickets because Ben Stokes is exactly the player you would want coming in with a hundred runs required to win a Test.

Johnny Bairstow is in amazing form at the moment.

14 hours ago, williamjm said:

Johnny Bairstow is in amazing form at the moment.

Apparently all it took was dropping him for the tenth time to turn him into the ginger Viv Richards. If only they’d done it earlier.

On 7/4/2022 at 11:02 PM, Arataniello said:

Cracking day of cricket today (day four) - setting up a great finish tomorrow, although it might be over quickly either way.

They didn't hang around for too long.

I think this is one of England's best Test victories in recent years. In the end the chase almost looked easy. India probably wondering how they lost that after not doing much wrong for the first three days, although their second innings was crucially below par.

For someone who was a bit of a surprise pick Brendon McCullum has definitely made a spectacular start to his Test coaching career, although I think there will be more difficult days in the future. In particular, it remains to be seen whether England can also be competitive overseas since even their weaker teams tended to be difficult to beat at home.

21 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Racism

And I hear some other equally stupid incident at Wimbledon with Sania Mirza in the mixed doubles

Well, this is terrible in what was an excellent test match, yet not that surprising. Sigh.

Also, if losing a test match to England is what it takes to get all the tories to resign, we should do it more often. Credit to England though, Bairstow was too good for us.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Well, this is terrible in what was an excellent test match, yet not that surprising. Sigh.

Someone needs to tell them its 2022

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Also, if losing a test match to England is what it takes to get all the tories to resign, we should do it more often. 

With a musical chair captaincy for India, the tories will never come back to power then

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Credit to England though, Bairstow was too good for us.

Agreed

And hey, its MSD's birthday!

9 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

wow Australia just got thumped by Sri Lanka

It's a pity it's one of those annoying two-match series so there's no decider.

Definitely a good win for Sri Lanka, particularly when it comes against the background of their country going through a revolution at the time.

14 hours ago, williamjm said:

particularly when it comes against the background of their country going through a revolution at the time.

Exactly what I was thinking. But yeah I wish there was a third Test. Have to say: the birding during that series was a bit shit. Nothing but House Crows all the way down. 

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Not the best start from England. Getting their big names back from the test squad has clearly gone well.:lol:

Clearly England can either be good at Tests or good at limited over cricket but not both at the same time.

Wait, England won today? Fucking hell, I left for training confident we were well on track to get battered again.

It’s been a bit of a weird summer with the red Dukes ball not offering much to the bowlers and now the white ball is apparently unplayable.

Archived