Cricket 43: So long, and thanks for all the Finch

IheartIheartTesla

15 hours ago, Paxter said:

Windies out of the comp already, finishing bottom of their qualifying group.

T20 is always a bit of a lottery, but this is a terrible outcome even by WI standards.

I didn’t watch much of their games but from what I saw they looked surprisingly lacking in talent. It’s not that unusual for the Windies to not play well but they normally have some dangerous looking big hitters at least.

New Zealand looking well set for a good total here.

Australia not looking well set for a good total.

ETA: I think England are playing one too many batsmen here, especially when two of their bowlers are Curran and Woakes. It would be very harsh on either of Ali or Livingstone to miss out but I think England needed to make a tough choice there.

Bizarre scenes in Melbourne. How have Pakistan ended up with Nawaz bowling the last over? If they’d just had anyone to bowl one half decent over of seam in the middle overs and had Rauf bowling the last over I think they win that at a canter. I’m not sure India really got the balance of their side right either but Pakistan can’t be putting themselves into the position of having to bowl 8 overs of spin in Australia.

On 10/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, Paxter said:

Haha the rain is already playing havoc. I can’t even promise that Perth matches won’t be rain affected at this time of year!

Sorry England!

Hard to blame the weather too much. England may well have won if the rain had stayed away given they still had Ali and Livingstone in but they wouldn’t have deserved it. They were rubbish.

I’m not sure what’s going on with conditions in this World Cup. It all doesn’t seem very Australian.

ETA: Heh, Zimbabwe manage to defend 130 by just the one run against Pakistan. I’ve go no idea what’s going on in this tournament.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I’m not sure what’s going on with conditions in this World Cup. It all doesn’t seem very Australian.

ETA: Heh, Zimbabwe manage to defend 130 by just the one run against Pakistan. I’ve go no idea what’s going on in this tournament.

Early season conditions are always dicey in Australia. It is not unusual to see South Australia bowled out for less than 100 on the Adelaide Oval in November and then rack up 500 a few months later at the same venue when the weather warms up. Plus La Nina is a big factor on the east coast this year. 

At least India has looked solid so far and is already looking much better than last year's disappointment. 

22 hours ago, Paxter said:

Early season conditions are always dicey in Australia. It is not unusual to see South Australia bowled out for less than 100 on the Adelaide Oval in November and then rack up 500 a few months later at the same venue when the weather warms up. Plus La Nina is a big factor on the east coast this year. 

Fair point. I suppose I’ve never really watched cricket in Australia in October. On this evidence I’m not sure scheduling a tournament in early season conditions in Australia was the best idea, might as well have played it in England at this rate.

Having said England couldn’t really blame the rain too much after the Ireland game this latest washout could have really screwed them.

La Nina has made this year the wettest year in recorded history (at least for NSW, but probably for other states too), so it was pretty unlucky this was also the year we hosted a tournament.

Pity - I was looking forward to an England/Australia classic and quite an unpredictable game at that. India/Pakistan showed what sort of games this tournament could have thrown up. As it is, both England and Australia are in slightly uncomfortable situations for qualifying now but I reckon both will make it.

Nice win for SA on a bouncy track in Perth. Would be good to see them succeed in this tournament, though batting continues to be their weakness. Pretty sloppy performance from India.

Looking forward to Eng v NZ, which has been a great rivalry in recent times.

Big win for England yesterday. I must admit I didn't think it was going to end well after Ali dropped Phillips but Sam Curran's turned himself into a pretty good death bowler. It always feels like he's got a very small margin for a error at his pace but he seems to make it work.

Not a bad start for Bangladesh but they probably needed to take a few more wickets. Taskin Ahmed in particular's looked good but it's a little odd to see Shakib just bowling him out in the first 7 overs.

ETA: Bangladesh have really been fucked by the rain here. They went off well ahead of the rate but the revised total put them pretty much back where they started. Their good start was also almost entirely down to Das (Shanto was pretty rubbish at the other end) and they’ve lost him to a run out after slipping on the wet ground.

England and SA have their fates in their own hands now, requiring wins against Sri Lanka and Netherlands respectively to progress. You'd think they would both sail through but it's been one of those tournaments where anything could happen.

The hosts have had a very lacklustre tournament but I guess it was always unlikely they could win two of these lottery tournaments in a row. 

I'm disappointed at Pakistan's performance. They are a better side than this. 

Haha enjoying all the commentary from the Langer fans getting stuck into Finch and Macdonald. Who knows whether JL would’ve made any difference but Australia certainly put in an insipid performance in this WC. And to be honest they don’t even seem to care.

The prospect of an India v Pakistan final at the G is beyond mouth watering. Knowing Pakistan they will blow it in the semis though.

England might actually look stronger without the out of form Malan? And now Stokes can play the anchor role that he executed so well in the last match. 

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, I saw South Africa had done a South Africa. That’s a particularly brutal example though.

You have to admire their ingenuity in managing to find new and interesting ways to get knocked out of tournaments.

Archived